Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament...ATP 500...Rotterdam, Netherlands

2018 ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament...ATP 500...Rotterdam, Netherlands

Right when you start to stop believing in Santa Claus. As alerted by gzhpcu we are being gifted in the dead of winter with an appearance of "The Living Proof". Roger Federer set to make an appearance in Rotterdam in perhaps a quest to re-aquire the number one ranking in men's tennis. This is a welcomed development and I admit it is selfish on my behalf. Roger Federer validates my teaching paradigm. He plays the game the way it was meant to be played. I think if he was younger we would see many more forays to the net but as it is we are more than happy that he takes the court against anybody these days. The match that you want to see is Roger Federer versus Anybody.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/score...rdam/407/draws

But looking at the draw you might think that this will be anything but a cake walk for the Swiss Maestro. He has a reasonably tough competitor in the second round regardless of who wings between Philipp Kohlschreiber and Karen Khachanov. Don't the Russians know that Karen is a woman's name? In the third it could be none other than his Swiss compatriot Stan Wawrinka. Assuming Federer makes it to the third round I don't think we can do the same for Stan as he struggles to retain his form that he had prior to his injury timeout from the tour. But either way...this is a blessing. Federer in February...I hadn't counted on this.

In the semi final bracket below Federer it gets interesting. Alexander Zverev (ATP Golden Child Next Generation), Gilles Muller, Richard Gasquet and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will be battling it out for a spot. I guess that I would be remiss if I didn't mention the "EverReady Energizor Bunny" David Ferrer in the first round versus Alexander Zverev. If Ferrer were to take out a shaky Zverev it might put a damper on "Golden Child's" fragile psyche. How many broken racquets would that upset be good for? Don't get me wrong on Zverev...I have nothing against him. But I think that his game is limited and his often fragile psyche sort of gives this away. Gilles Muller might surprise a couple of these guys depending on his form. He has looked pretty darned good when that lefty serve is finding its mark on the first ball.

In the bottom half there is klacr's boy...Tomas Berdych. 'nuff said. He's got a lot of work to do but I know one guy who wouldn't mind a Federer versus Berdych final. I think that the tournament looks promising on paper. Particularly with Roger Federer in the draw. It's a real tournament!
    Last edited by don_budge; 02-10-2018, 01:54 AM.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Well it does feel a bit like Christmas doesn't it? Roger Federer in February. How long has it been? I guess that I was one of the last to stop believing in Santa Claus. I confess. I cried when I found out. Imagine that...at my age. Somewhere in my heart I still believe that he exists...if only in the hearts and minds of those that want to believe in such a concept. A man who gives it away.

But anyways...it is a blessing of sorts. If it seems that I adore the Swiss Maestro maybe I do. Early on I stated that my teaching paradigm was based on William Tilden being the book. Richard Gonzalez would be the model with the Don Budge backhand. Harry Hopman is the coach. And of course...Roger is the Living Proof. The truth is I am not unlike most people. I am selfish. I have an agenda. I want to be validated. This is what Roger does. He validates me. Me and my teaching paradigm.

The fact is he is vying for another place in the record book. He is trying to be the oldest number one tennis player in the world. If he does...it is another feather in my cap. My teaching paradigm. You see my love for Federer goes beyond the fact that he dominates. It isn't hero worship at all. It is more like respect...that six letter word that my dear old Father taught me as a boy. Roger is so old school in so many ways. I wonder if he realizes it. I'm sure he does. Look at his behaviour on the court. Going about his business. The occasional "Come on!" but little else in revealing what is on his mind. In his heart. After he wins or loses there is no loss of composure. Just a little as he was accepting the Australian Open trophy and that was adorable. There was something there that we all could respect. Even love.

This week he looks at the draw and he says to himself there are x number of losers here and me. Ok...maybe not. He's too old and too long in the tooth to think such outrageous thoughts as a young, brash Jimmy Connors reputedly would say to himself. But Roger takes it one step at a time. He knows where he wants to go and he knows how to map the way there. One step at a time. Sure he sees Stan Wawrinka there in the potential quarterfinals but he also knows that Stan lost to the hundred and something player in the world yesterday and looked rather shaky doing so. I know...I saw the match. Bits and pieces of it. It's too boring to watch from start to finish as one can watch a Federer match against anybody. Stan looked tentative. It's the kiss of death in tennis. In modern tennis and it has always been this way. He who hesitates is lost and this could not be more true than on the tennis court.

Federer sees a possible semifinal matchup with Alexander Zverev. He sees everything and takes mental notes along the way. He knows that Zverev is vulnerable now. He is also tentative for other reasons than Stan Wawrinka. Alexander is doubting what he was once sure of. He is doubting his own rising star. He thinks to himself..."I showed up. Why is there so much resistance? Don't these guys know who I am?" This is also the kiss of death in the tennis ring. Roger knows this. He knows it all. He's been there. He's been everywhere...a number of times over. Over and over. It's like the repeat of a Jerry Seinfeld sitcom going over and over in his head. They are all there...Kramer, Elaine, George and all of the rest. The supporting cast members. The Berdych's...the Tsonga's. The Kohlschreiber's. The Dimitrov's. All spinning around in his head like the old Seinfeld sitcom. It never seems to end. But end it must. The guy wants to go out on top. There is only one. The only one playing the game of tennis the way it was engineered by William Tilden is none other than Roger. The Swiss Maestro. God Bless him. Our boy. There is a Santa Claus...Roger Federer is the Living Proof.
    don_budge

Comment

Federer needs to win three matches at this tournament to take over the #1 ranking. Pretty epic stuff. Kudos to tourney director Richard Krajicek for landing this big fish.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

I would think the oldest #1 player ever would be about the last record for Federer to break. It would certainly be a surprise to all if it does not happen at this tournament. Roger will surely play Indian Wells again. Who knows about Miami. He will probably not play FO and go into Wimbledon as the oddsmakers favorite once again.

Comment

Greetings from Gran Canaria, an island off Africa. My wife said it's time for a holiday so off we went. The weather is great.

There is a court right outside our hotel. A kid has played there every day so far with his father. I'd love to give him some tips on his volleys and forehand but my wife has drawn the line. "Don't you ever with switch off," she said. "You're on holiday!" The problem is I am just itching to try and put things right. So far I have refrained.

Yes, Roger becoming number one would be pretty amazing at 36. Not sure what that would say about the rest of the field, though.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            I would think the oldest #1 player ever would be about the last record for Federer to break. It would certainly be a surprise to all if it does not happen at this tournament. Roger will surely play Indian Wells again. Who knows about Miami. He will probably not play FO and go into Wimbledon as the oddsmakers favorite once again.
            stroke,

Federer has committed to playing Miami this year. Tournament officials announced it through the media channels last week. He will have 2000 points to defend between Indian Wells and Miami so he needs to play those. After that, I think he will skip the clay season, rest up and prep for Wimbledon like he did last year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              Greetings from Gran Canaria, an island off Africa. My wife said it's time for a holiday so off we went. The weather is great.

There is a court right outside our hotel. A kid has played there every day so far with his father. I'd love to give him some tips on his volleys and forehand but my wife has drawn the line. "Don't you ever with switch off," she said. "You're on holiday!" The problem is I am just itching to try and put things right. So far I have refrained.

Yes, Roger becoming number one would be pretty amazing at 36. Not sure what that would say about the rest of the field, though.
              Back at you stotty! It's in the DNA old boy. I'm done with it (the job that is) but thank the Lord for the forum. For Roger Federer. For Rotterdam. But if the wife says to switch it off it is probably in your own interests. It's amazing what the sound of the bouncing ball and a couple of people hitting the ball back and forth can provoke in the heart of the true tennis aficionado. Isn't it? For the love of the game. But enjoy your vacation. Give it a rest. It will be there when you come back to port.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              There are a couple of a bit more long term goals he might chase if he is so inclined. If he can muster the energy not to mention pace himself. It's amazing and most intelligent what he is doing now and what he has been doing the past couple of years. Picking his spots and striking lightening quick. He sees the field as depleted and nobody is standing in his way except the usual suspects. He's chasing Lendl and Connors for a couple of long term records. klacr...care to elaborate?
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                stroke,

Federer has committed to playing Miami this year. Tournament officials announced it through the media channels last week. He will have 2000 points to defend between Indian Wells and Miami so he needs to play those. After that, I think he will skip the clay season, rest up and prep for Wimbledon like he did last year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                I wish...I wish. I wish that he would just play the French Open for the fun of it. Why not...just throw his hat into the wing. The fans at this wonderful, historic venue would dearly love to see him. One more time. He could beat Nadal. He could do it. I just know that he could. That doesn't mean that he would. But he could.

No need to tell me...I'll just keep dreaming on. Until the end.
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  This week he looks at the draw and he says to himself there are x number of losers here and me. Ok...maybe not. He's too old and too long in the tooth to think such outrageous thoughts as a young, brash Jimmy Connors reputedly would say to himself. But Roger takes it one step at a time. He knows where he wants to go and he knows how to map the way there. One step at a time. Sure he sees Stan Wawrinka there in the potential quarterfinals but he also knows that Stan lost to the hundred and something player in the world yesterday and looked rather shaky doing so. I know...I saw the match. Bits and pieces of it. It's too boring to watch from start to finish as one can watch a Federer match against anybody. Stan looked tentative. It's the kiss of death in tennis. In modern tennis and it has always been this way. He who hesitates is lost and this could not be more true than on the tennis court.
                  Count Stan Wawrinka out. Tallon Griekspoor, ranked #259 in the world, took out Wawrinka in 3 sets. While Wawrinka won the first set it didn't look at any point that he really wanted this match. He isn't ready for the rigours of the tour. With Stan out of the way Federer is looking at a cake walk to the semifinals if he is focused and motivated. Which he claims he is.

He sure sounds like it. First up is Ruben Bernelmans who is ranked #116 in the world. Assuming he can handle Ruben he has a date with Philipp Kohlschreiber with whom he owns a perfect 12-0 head to head against. Another win against the "Cabbage Man" from Germany and it is the winner of Wawrinka's quarter. He looks to be a shoe in for the number one ranking and it will be fun to watch him play nevertheless. The match to watch is always Roger Federer versus Anybody. Don't you think so?
                  don_budge

Comment

Roger Federer versus Anybody. Don't you think so?
                    Didn't you already say this?

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                      Didn't you already say this?
                      This is a tennis forum. What is your problem really?

don_budge

Comment

Back at you stotty! It's in the DNA old boy. I'm done with it (the job that is) but thank the Lord for the forum. For Roger Federer. For Rotterdam. But if the wife says to switch it off it is probably in your own interests. It's amazing what the sound of the bouncing ball and a couple of people hitting the ball back and forth can provoke in the heart of the true tennis aficionado. Isn't it? For the love of the game. But enjoy your vacation. Give it a rest. It will be there when you come back to port.

There are a couple of a bit more long term goals he might chase if he is so inclined. If he can muster the energy not to mention pace himself. It's amazing and most intelligent what he is doing now and what he has been doing the past couple of years. Picking his spots and striking lightening quick. He sees the field as depleted and nobody is standing in his way except the usual suspects. He's chasing Lendl and Connors for a couple of long term records. klacr...care to elaborate?
                        Federer is currently 2nd all time on the career match wins list with 1,139. He is chasing Jimmy Connors who has 1,256.
                        Federer is also 2nd on list of career titles with 96. Connors holds this record with 109.
                        Federer 2nd all time on total career matches played with 1389. Connors holds #1 spot with 1,535.
                        Federer does have the record of # of wins vs. Top 10 opponents with 213 victories. The next best is Novak Djokovic with 181 wins. Connors has 83.
                        Connors holds the record for # of wins on grass courts with 170. Federer is 2nd with 164.
                        Both Connors and Federer are tied for the all-time record of consecutive seasons reaching a final with 19. Connors from 1971-1989 and Federer from 2000-2018.

I'm sure there are a few more but those are the ones that come to mind.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

One down, two to go...

Next is Kohlschreiber, should not be a problem...
                          Last edited by gzhpcu; 02-14-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            One down, two to go...

Next is Kohlschreiber, should not be a problem...
                            Should not be a problem but one of the things that makes Roger Federer such a great player is his ability to stay in the moment. Once a point is finished...it is finished and he doesn't need to make a spectacle of himself celebrating. The same holds true in a matchup with the likes of Philipp Kohlschreiber. Even though the head to head is 12-0...Federer will take it one point at a time and get the job done. Once the job is done it will be the perfunctory wave to the crowd without any hysteria and on to the next round. He measures his steps carefully so as to not to spill a single drop of emotional energy. He's got it all down by numbers.

"Counting Out Time" by Genesis. A great, great album called "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".

What a blessing to have a little Federer in February. I can measure my steps to the next match. Doing the things that I can to make my self healthy, wealthy and wise. Well...two out of three aren't bad.

Too bad about Stan Wawrinka. I was hoping he could come back and be a factor. He's another guy who measures his steps but differently than "The Maestro". He picks his spots where he wants to peak and doesn't waste a lot of energy otherwise. He seems to be just picking up a match here and there to get strong and fit. I hope he makes it back. Even the top ten is depleted at this point. See how quickly this little house of cards fell apart.

Two to go and I hope that he doesn't stop there. He looked extremely sharp against Bemelmans. It was interesting to watch Federer play the lefty and change his direction of attack. The match to watch is Roger Federer versus Anybody.

Alexander Zverev continues to find the going tough on the ATP tour. He's got that big bullseye on his back now. Being coronated the next "King" is too big a weight to bear if the game isn't there. Zverev is not a complete player and there are big holes in his game. Big holes is relative of course...but we are talking about the heir apparent here. The ATP's "Golden Boy". I see that he is not emotionally stable enough or tactically competent day in day out to rule the tennis world for more than one match at a time. I have this sneaking feeling that he is getting ahead of himself. Go back to the comment about Federer staying in the moment to understand what I am getting at. He started to believe his own press clippings.
                            don_budge

Comment

It's interesting at how interesting this tournament becomes with Roger Federer in the draw. It isn't just that the match to watch is "Roger Federer versus Anybody"...but every match in the draw becomes that more interesting. You look for the possible implications that it might mean for Federer. The other players automatically become just incrementally that more interesting. I have watched bits and pieces of at least a dozen matches so far. Trying like hell to glean something...anything that might be interesting.

What about the name Felix Auger-Aliassime. I watched the first two sets of his match against Filip Krajinovic. Krajinovic won in three, avenging a loss to Felix earlier in the year at a Challenger event on clay in Spain. Felix is an interesting player. I'm going to have to see him a few more times and he needs some seasoning. But what an impressive physique. Legs like a stallion. The forehand packs a real wallop but he goes astray way too often at this point. I like to see players hitting off of the front foot whenever possible. This perhaps restricts a bit of "speed" but speed is only one element of power. I feel that his service motion is going to be limited by a backswing that looks to me less than rhythmic. He looks to like the fight. He wants to mix it up with the big boys. This was his first entry into an ATP event. Obviously he looks to be one of the top players in the future.

But I liked Krajinovic's forehand a lot. I am not saying that it will be one of the best strokes on the tour but what I like are the fundamentals. I like the footwork as his default stance looks to be with the weight on the front foot. He defeated Felix with a bit more steadiness. Consistency. He plays Grigor Dimitrov next for a spot in the quarterfinals. This would be huge for Krajinovic but a must for Dimitrov. This is a big tournament for the clone of Roger Federer who doesn't want to known as "Baby Fed" any longer. He desperately wants to emerge from that shadow.

I think another match looming is the Tomas Berdych and David Goffin affair. The enigmatic Berdych is a bit complacent to be actively playing. He doesn't look to be overly motivated or hungry. Goffin on the other hand has made a career out of "Hunger". He's a gritty competitor and his ranking relative to Berdych's reflects this. There is no reason that Tomas couldn't win this match...except that Goffin is just hungrier than him.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8004 users online. 5 members and 7999 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X