Future Paradigm Shift for Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Paradigm Shift for Tennis

Has anyone read “Future Paradigm Shift for Tennis” by Ivancevic, et.al. . The Serbian/Australian scientists basically say that the future game will require: 1. faster mental strategy processing, 2.faster foot speed, 3. greater variety of agility and 4.more rotational strokes using sequential joint stretch/reflexes in limb segments

One of their Implications for this paradigm shift was a change in foundational training for juniors: “blitz” speed chess for #1, sprinting for #2, developmental gymnastics for #3, and javelin throws for #4. Seems to be at cross purposes with the “tennis training only” camp.

However, might there be a movement, at some point, to alter this evolution with a change in rules, equipment regulation, court specs., etc? Will our grandkids be destined to only witness a drop /lob sequence in a video archive? It looks like most professional sports never restrict their evolution in power and speed.

Paradigm shifts? How about a culmination point which occurs about every 16 to 18 years in tennis? We are due. But for now they are going to milk the Roger Federer Era for as long as they possibly can. Mats Wilander suggested on EuroSport here in Sweden that the ATP would be wise to set things up for Federer just as long as they can. He cited the quicker courts at the Australian Open as an example. There is no public draw for the game after Federer. He is being well reimbursed for carrying on this side show. Once he is done the tour will be left grasping at straws. The brain trust is clueless. But it is simple...to simple it seems.

Make the racquets smaller and force the players to come forwards. Speed up the courts. In other words...slowly undue what has been done. This probably will never happen. It makes too much sense.

People are more inclined than ever to go for the "shock and awe" aspect of things. They are more susceptible to the hype. But as hard as they have tried to hype this "Next Generation" it is a dud. Look at the champion of the Next Generation nonsense they played in Italy a couple of months ago. First of all..."Golden Boy" Zverev could not be bothered to show up. It was none other than Hyeon Chung who prevailed. Chung is no more than another clone of the "Modern Game" who plays standard fair with the two handed backhand, strong gripped forehand and a very, very mediocre serve.

Once this hyped up package reached the big stage it just plain fell apart. Roger Federer made him wish his mother never had him. There has to be more than this but guess what. There isn't. No amount of monkeying around with the game is going to fix it. Ironically...the way forwards is backwards. Any chance of the ATP braintrust getting their lame brains around that little conundrum? Perhaps a snowball's chance in Hades.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Standard "fare." Not the state "fair." You're right-- I can spell.

Comment

Doctor,
        I am not a developmental coach but from what I observe other than the speed chess all of the other factors are commonly trained. Don't know about the javelin, but non tennis physicality is pretty common.

Comment

I read that paradigm shift book a while back. I was not very convinced. It has a lot of great ideas but in the end, it fell a little flat for me.

People are always trying to come up with the next great thing.

Great players require pretty simple ingredients: some talent, hard work, the right coaching, and some random events that fall in the right place.

I have been reading the Black Swan which is about 10 years old.

The main idea is that random events have a much greater impact on people than planned or expected events.

If this book doesn't make you stop believing prognosticators, then nothing well.

I think reading Bill Tilden's books is much more inspiring given how "modern" they are despite being old.

If something yesterday is true today, it is much more likely to still be true tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
            I think reading Bill Tilden's books is much more inspiring given how "modern" they are despite being old.

If something yesterday is true today, it is much more likely to still be true tomorrow.
            I like that. Bill Tilden is the engineer of the modern game of tennis. Harry Hopman said that his book "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball" was the "Bible of Tennis". He sold it to an entire generation, or two or three. The Australian Dynasty was built on the foundation of his words. The same can be said for the American Dynasty. Modern tennis is what it is. It is only a facsimile of the original. Not even a reasonable one. The racquets make it a joke compared to the original. You cannot underestimate the effect this has had on the game. Look what a measly 8 square inches did for Roger Federer's game. If only he had switched around the time I first suggested it here on this forum. He would have broken Connors record a year ago.

Staying current and staying in the same is important as well. Being aware...in the moment. You want to discuss paradigms? Study up. Only students of the game are welcome. A true student of the game begins with Tilden. Then he ends up writing on tennisplayer.net.

There is going to be a paradigm shift. One with negative consequences. When Federer leaves the game the air will have completely gone out of the balloon. There will no longer be any evidence of the original game. Unless it is reengineered to go "backwards" there will be no significant changes. Just endless mind numbing backcourt rallies with the occasional drop shot or accidental tourist foray to the net.

If something written yesterday is still true today...it is much more likely to still be true tomorrow. Well put...arturohernandez!

don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Arturo, I had some statistician and stock broker friends of mine lose their religion when they read “Black Swan”!

Comment

I am just starting to read Black Swan and am not sure how it is even a message of hope. I can certainly see why experts would fear such a book. There is no certainty only a lot of uncertainty. People connect the dots very well looking backwards.

But looking forward it is very hard to predict what might happen.

That's why we play tennis.

Remember Djokovic's crazy return at 40-15 at the US open.

Federer's forehand against Hass at RG.

There are these things that happen that suddenly turn reality on its head.

Even Fed speaks about being incredibly nervous.

Wawrinka was apparently shaking so much in the locker room before his victory at the US Open that he thought he was going to lose.

Black Swans everyday. Unpredictable events that have to be dealt with.

But if you listen to pro tennis players you realize that the best ones really play point by point.

They know that anything can happen at any time.

Yet, they keep playing, knowing that a good portion of it is out of their hands.

Maybe that should be our future paradigm shift.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8587 users online. 6 members and 8581 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X