Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Roger Federer Skip the Clay Court Season Entirely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Roger Federer Skip the Clay Court Season Entirely?

The Fed Express...the Clay Court Season

The Fed Express has come to a place in the tracks where there is a fork in the road. Last year Roger Federer decided to skip the entire clay court season. It paid off it seems with a big victory on the grass at Wimbledon. But what has he learned about himself in the meantime? In the mind of the tennis player you are always evaluating and reevaluating.

The argument is one of rest and consideration of longevity. It is ultimately one of preparation. But there are other factors now and perhaps he has learned a thing or two. One of those things he may have realised is just how far he stands over the field now. The field is depleted and with Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka and Nishikori to name a few are not at full strength. Surely if he is seeded in opposite halves of the draw at Roland Garros from Nadal he may sneak into the final with a chance to steal one from the Spaniard. In his own backyard. He has owned Nadal for the past year and a win at Roland Garros will silence a lot of the Nadalian Myth.

Who's to say that he couldn't play two more tournaments than last year? A warm up clay event to get ready for the big show. Or maybe just the big show. After all...he is showing now that he can just show up and dominate.

But what of this argument that playing on clay is so much more gruelling? I don't buy into it. I played almost specifically on clay the last many years of my tennis playing career for the sole reason of saving wear and tear on my joints. The movement is less destructive on the body because of the sliding and the surface.

If I am in Federer's corner...I encourage him to play the French at least. He owes it to the game. Nobody is above the game. Not even Roger Federer. His presence at Rolland Garros changes everything for the event. I don't buy into the argument that playing this event is going to effect his longevity. In fact...if he plays I have him at even money to steal another Grand Slam title. Any thoughts? Or is it just me.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Not so sure. "Don't change a winning game". He skipped the clay season last year and now he is number 1. I think clay is more grueling at the ATP pro level because the points are longer. At our level, it is easier on our bodies. Tougher for Roger to play his attacking game in RG if he plays 5 setters.

Why did Nadal, Murray and Djokovic fall the wayside? They play too much of a grinding game. Roger plays much smarter.

Comment

It's a wise move for Roger to miss the clay court season and certainly to miss Roland Garros. Clay is perhaps the easiest surface on the joints but the toughest in the cardiovascular sense. No matter how well he plays he won't beat Rafa on that stuff, so better to look beyond and tool up for the grass court season.

Connors was as much a grinder as any player today yet played until he was almost 40 years old, and won 109 titles. There is no reason why Novak and Rafa cannot play a few more years yet. It's whether they truly want to that will determine if they will succeed or not. I think Rafa still wants to do it, but I am not convinced about Novak. Murray will have been out for a year by the time he comes back and I am not sure he can come back after so long out.

I see Monfils has widened his stance when serving these days. When did he start doing that?
      Last edited by stotty; 02-21-2018, 03:48 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Good points Guys. Stan Wawrinka retired from his match last night in the French tournament. I wonder what his condition will be around the time for the French Open. I would think that things of this nature might give Roger room for pause as the possibility of the weakest draw in the recent history of the game may convince him to toss the dice an another French title. Just one factor in the decision making process when you are "Being Roger Federer".
        don_budge

Comment

Please Roger...you haven't listened to good old don_budge in the past. It's understandable given the circumstances. But please...one more shot at Roland Garros. I believe that you could win.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Good points Guys. Stan Wawrinka retired from his match last night in the French tournament. I wonder what his condition will be around the time for the French Open. I would think that things of this nature might give Roger room for pause as the possibility of the weakest draw in the recent history of the game may convince him to toss the dice an another French title. Just one factor in the decision making process when you are "Being Roger Federer".
            I think Nadal would have to pull out....

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Roger confirms that he will skip next weeks tournament in Dubai.

The Nada factor. That is a really interesting point and one that I have been thinking about. It's hard to get a read on what the feelings of Roger Federer are about Rafael Nadal. I don't think that he really likes him but he realizes from a public relations point of view it is best for appearances sake that they like each other. I can't believe that it could be more than that. The way Nadal conducts himself in interviews is not really up to standard...traditionally speaking.

Roger has basically owned Nadal and has won his last how many matches against the Spanish nemesis. It's five...he has won the last five. That is a pretty good number to have in your opponents head going into an important match. He may not want to lose that advantage. It almost seemed to me that he didn't really relish playing Nadal at last years U. S. Open and lost one of those matches against Del Potro that leaves one scratching their head. Asking questions about what just happened.

But Roger may not relish a match against a healthy Nadal at Roland Garros. But somehow that doesn't live up to my belief that I think he might have a better chance on the clay now that he has added some weight to his arsenal with the new equipment. Playing on clay these days is not so different than some of the slowed down hard courts. Even the grass at Wimbledon has taken on a velcro like play these days.

Whatever he decides he will have weighed all of the permutations and combinations to his advantage. That being said...I hope for the sake of the game that he plays.
              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                Roger confirms that he will skip next weeks tournament in Dubai.

The Nada factor. That is a really interesting point and one that I have been thinking about. It's hard to get a read on what the feelings of Roger Federer are about Rafael Nadal. I don't think that he really likes him but he realizes from a public relations point of view it is best for appearances sake that they like each other. I can't believe that it could be more than that. The way Nadal conducts himself in interviews is not really up to standard...traditionally speaking.

But Roger may not relish a match against a healthy Nadal at Roland Garros. But somehow that doesn't live up to my belief that I think he might have a better chance on the clay now that he has added some weight to his arsenal with the new equipment. Playing on clay these days is not so different than some of the slowed down hard courts. Even the grass at Wimbledon has taken on a velcro like play these days.

Whatever he decides he will have weighed all of the permutations and combinations to his advantage. That being said...I hope for the sake of the game that he plays.
                Roger Federer lost a good opportunity to pad his standing as the number one tennis player in the men's game. Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the tournament in Acapulco. This is apparently an indication that all is not right with the Spaniard. Never put too much in Nadal's shenanigans but I know that Roger is paying attention. If Nadal isn't 110% in May he is vulnerable.
                don_budge

Comment

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of Indian Wells and Miami.

Possible Grand Slam in the cards for Roger Federer? Wouldn't that be a nice feather in the cap of "The Living Proof". I was the first to dare say it.
                  don_budge

Comment

Nadal pulls out of both US tournaments with a hip injury, the same injury he picked up the Australian Open. So no Nadal, Murray, or Novak for the foreseeable future. Could the writing be on the wall for these 3 men? With no one to stop Roger, could Roger win another hatful of slams? Is tRoland Garros on the cards if Nadal is unfit or out of practice? I should imagine Roger is weighing these things up right now. Will he....or won't he?
                    Last edited by stotty; 03-03-2018, 01:35 AM.
                    Stotty

Comment

Roger now could want to be the first man since Laver to win a real Grand Slam...

Comment

Roger now could want to be the first man since Laver to win a real Grand Slam...
                        People shouldn't be pedantic about the 'real' grand slam. Djokovic has held all four slams at the same time, as has Navratilova. What's the difference?....none basically. It's an amazing achievement. Navratilova nearly did it twice, winning 7 consecutive slams in a row.

Djokovic and Navratilova did exactly what Laver did in my view and deserve the same credit. It's the most difficult achievement in our sport.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                          People shouldn't be pedantic about the 'real' grand slam. Djokovic has held all four slams at the same time, as has Navratilova. What's the difference?....none basically. It's an amazing achievement. Navratilova nearly did it twice, winning 7 consecutive slams in a row.

Djokovic and Navratilova did exactly what Laver did in my view and deserve the same credit. It's the most difficult achievement in our sport.
                          If you are talking about modern interpretation then you may have an argument. But the fact of the matter is that traditionally speaking it is four titles in the calendar year. But whatever...now you guys are talking about a possible Grand Slam and that is an interesting conversation. But all roads to the Grand Slam go through Roland Garros now and this is the best part of the conversation.

Should Roger Federer skip the clay court season entirely? Indian Wells next. Roger Federer in the draw. It's a tournament. A bonafide tournament. How cool is that?

Grand Slam...Grand Slam...Grand Slam. Just thinking out loud. The road goes through Roland Garros. Will he play? Yes...of course he will. Just think what a victory at Roland Garros by the Living Proof would mean for the game. What it would mean for don_budge.
                          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Why not? The Grand Slam used to mean winning all four majors the same year. Not so easy. Don Budge won the first one and Rod Laver won the second one as an amateur and the second one during the open era.

Nobody else has since. It is a clear sign of domination. Roger shouid go for it.

Comment

Why not? The Grand Slam used to mean winning all four majors the same year. Not so easy. Don Budge won the first one and Rod Laver won the second one as an amateur and the second one during the open era.

Nobody else has since. It is a clear sign of domination. Roger shouid go for it.
                              Holding all four majors at the same time is exactly the same thing as winning them in the same calendar year. The achievement is exactly the same. It's being pedantic to say otherwise in my view. Navratilova won 7 slams in a row! Neither Laver or Budge did that. It's an even greater achievement.
                              Last edited by stotty; 03-04-2018, 02:41 PM.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2869 users online. 4 members and 2865 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X