2018 Delray Beach Open...ATP 250...Delray Beach, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Delray Beach Open...ATP 250...Delray Beach, FL

There is good news and bad news. The bad news first...it always makes the good news that much better. Except in this case. The bad news is that there is no Roger Federer at this tournament. Therefore it is lacking by definition. It will theoretically be lacking through each and every round as the tennis drone like. Without a breath of fresh air it will suffocate in its repetitious nature. No silky smooth dude styling it from the start to the finish. Finessing here...brute strokes there. No Federer. That is bad news.

Good news. Let's try to create some. Juan Martin Del Potro and Milos Raonic in the house. Some of the residual old guard. Both injured in the recent past trying to rehabilitate their way back to contention. John Isner as well but here is a fellow with zero watchability. Almost like Sam Querry...who is already gone.

More good news...the Next Generation. It's happening right before our very eyes. It came on slowly and gradually but it is here. Here in a rather limited ATP 250 venue. They are out in force. Jack Sock as the number one seed. Zero watchability...bad news. Reilly Opelka...a clone of Isner? Donald Young...still hanging tough. Trying to get a handle. Trying to get a clue on how to get to the next level with the same old game. Jared Donaldson who has had all of his flaws on display here on the forum as of late. I'm going to watch his next match...or at least try. Not because I am still interested in his blemishes but because he is playing Denis Shapovalov. Denis the Menace.

Denis the Menace. That's the name of an old American sitcom. A weekly event for the American family back in more innocent times. Or so we thought. The rug was being pulled out from under us. But it was programs like "Denis the Menace" that kept us hanging in there. Hanging tough. The best years ever...to be an American. This is what "Make America Great Again" means. I watched a bit of Denis Shapovalov last night. I watched it as long and as much as I could stand. He was playing Ivo Karlovic. Perhaps not the ingredients for a great viewing...but you know what? It was fascinating watching Ivo. Here's a guy with some real liabilities as a tennis players but he is making it work on a really dilapidated field that they call professional tennis these days. Ivo serves and volleys. The service motion? It isn't that great. Not really. If he had the don_budge perfect motion he would be untouchable on his service game. Very, very interesting. His volleys? I'll tell you what...more interesting stuff. He's challenged but he pulls it off. Maybe not to perfection but he pulls it off enough to make it believable. Opponents have to take him seriously and they have a really difficult time playing to his rhythm...because there isn't any. There's a lesson there for aspiring tennis players and coaches. Ivo has a style that makes it difficult for opponents to play against. The execution is another thing but the tactics are admirable. Admirable in the sense that he is unique.

Back to Denis. Shapovalov has some really compelling arguments in his game. But as tennis_chiro likes to call it...the most important muscle is between the ears. That is the muscle that can take years to develop and we hope that this is the case with Denis. As it stands now he sort of reminds me of that little blond blue-eyed brat in the old "Dennis the Menace" show once upon a time in America. Compelling arguments...the serve, the forehand, the backhand and the occasional foray forwards. But on the down side is an attitude that has not formulated itself on the court in match play behaviour. There is a bit too much of show. Too much showing off. The bouncing of the ball between the legs in the preserve routine is almost as nauseating as the Rafael Nadal show. The backwards baseball cap is another turnoff. Put that long hair in a bandana. Ala Federer. The backwards cap is just like wearing a sign in the middle of the forehead. It doesn't even matter what the sign says. It's just stupid.

Taylor Fritz with an upset win over Sam Querry. Sam, seeded #4, may have been psychologically challenged with his surprise showing in the Wimbledon semifinals. He worked so hard all of those years to get there and then...he got there. Psychologically he has imploded and he wears the target on the back in the middle of his shoulder blades where every aspiring opponent takes dead aim. Taylor Fritz is the latest. Taylor has the look sometimes. He might come up bit time. Too bad about the two-handed backhand. He's got that look you know. The kind of look where you hope to see something of a Pete Sampras but then he goes and hits that two hand backhand. Limitations. In the long run...limitations. Short run? Sure why not? It worked in the junior game didn't it. But therein lies the trap of the illustrious junior career. It breeds satisfaction and a false sense of complacency. Whereas a one handed player will forever be retooling. Discovering over and over...even if it only the wheel. Look at Roger Federer. Case closed.

Fritz and Shapovalov teeing it up...I don't see the time yet. But it's a match that I would be inclined to watch. Fritz has the look and Shapovalov has got a lot of compelling arguments. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of these two in the future.

But there is another of the New Generation Darlings in the draw. None other than Hyeon Chung. The South Korean who pulled a disappearing act on Roger Federer at the Australian Open semifinals. He defaulted as opposed to letting the current and past King of Professional Tennis mop him up. No doubt he was injured but here he is a couple of weeks later. Ready to go from all indications. He's got a great draw and then he runs into Juan Martin Del Potro or Frances Tiafoe. Let's assume it will be Del Potro at the risk of accusations from the forum's SJW. But Chung will have a real chance to clear up some questions. But he does have to win his next round also. He plays Franko Skugor. There's a name for you. Thirty years old from Croatia. Six foot and six inches tall. Two hundred and twelve pounds...two handed backhand of course. Never heard of him. Ranked #303 in the world. Question...why does a man of this size need a two handed backhand. Don't tell me he is a backcourt grinder. Please...don't tell me.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Whoopsee!!! Shapovalov and Fritz have to win a round before they play each other. Watch Dennis the Menace in the video above.
    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      There is good news and bad news. The bad news first...it always makes the good news that much better. Except in this case. The bad news is that there is no Roger Federer at this tournament. Therefore it is lacking by definition. It will theoretically be lacking through each and every round as the tennis drone like. Without a breath of fresh air it will suffocate in its repetitious nature. No silky smooth dude styling it from the start to the finish. Finessing here...brute strokes there. No Federer. That is bad news.

Good news. Let's try to create some. Juan Martin Del Potro and Milos Raonic in the house. Some of the residual old guard. Both injured in the recent past trying to rehabilitate their way back to contention. John Isner as well but here is a fellow with zero watchability. Almost like Sam Querry...who is already gone.

More good news...the Next Generation. It's happening right before our very eyes. It came on slowly and gradually but it is here. Here in a rather limited ATP 250 venue. They are out in force. Jack Sock as the number one seed. Zero watchability...bad news. Reilly Opelka...a clone of Isner? Donald Young...still hanging tough. Trying to get a handle. Trying to get a clue on how to get to the next level with the same old game. Jared Donaldson who has had all of his flaws on display here on the forum as of late. I'm going to watch his next match...or at least try. Not because I am still interested in his blemishes but because he is playing Denis Shapovalov. Denis the Menace.

Denis the Menace. That's the name of an old American sitcom. A weekly event for the American family back in more innocent times. Or so we thought. The rug was being pulled out from under us. But it was programs like "Denis the Menace" that kept us hanging in there. Hanging tough. The best years ever...to be an American. This is what "Make America Great Again" means. I watched a bit of Denis Shapovalov last night. I watched it as long and as much as I could stand. He was playing Ivo Karlovic. Perhaps not the ingredients for a great viewing...but you know what? It was fascinating watching Ivo. Here's a guy with some real liabilities as a tennis players but he is making it work on a really dilapidated field that they call professional tennis these days. Ivo serves and volleys. The service motion? It isn't that great. Not really. If he had the don_budge perfect motion he would be untouchable on his service game. Very, very interesting. His volleys? I'll tell you what...more interesting stuff. He's challenged but he pulls it off. Maybe not to perfection but he pulls it off enough to make it believable. Opponents have to take him seriously and they have a really difficult time playing to his rhythm...because there isn't any. There's a lesson there for aspiring tennis players and coaches. Ivo has a style that makes it difficult for opponents to play against. The execution is another thing but the tactics are admirable. Admirable in the sense that he is unique.

Back to Denis. Shapovalov has some really compelling arguments in his game. But as tennis_chiro likes to call it...the most important muscle is between the ears. That is the muscle that can take years to develop and we hope that this is the case with Denis. As it stands now he sort of reminds me of that little blond blue-eyed brat in the old "Dennis the Menace" show once upon a time in America. Compelling arguments...the serve, the forehand, the backhand and the occasional foray forwards. But on the down side is an attitude that has not formulated itself on the court in match play behaviour. There is a bit too much of show. Too much showing off. The bouncing of the ball between the legs in the preserve routine is almost as nauseating as the Rafael Nadal show. The backwards baseball cap is another turnoff. Put that long hair in a bandana. Ala Federer. The backwards cap is just like wearing a sign in the middle of the forehead. It doesn't even matter what the sign says. It's just stupid.

Taylor Fritz with an upset win over Sam Querry. Sam, seeded #4, may have been psychologically challenged with his surprise showing in the Wimbledon semifinals. He worked so hard all of those years to get there and then...he got there. Psychologically he has imploded and he wears the target on the back in the middle of his shoulder blades where every aspiring opponent takes dead aim. Taylor Fritz is the latest. Taylor has the look sometimes. He might come up bit time. Too bad about the two-handed backhand. He's got that look you know. The kind of look where you hope to see something of a Pete Sampras but then he goes and hits that two hand backhand. Limitations. In the long run...limitations. Short run? Sure why not? It worked in the junior game didn't it. But therein lies the trap of the illustrious junior career. It breeds satisfaction and a false sense of complacency. Whereas a one handed player will forever be retooling. Discovering over and over...even if it only the wheel. Look at Roger Federer. Case closed.

Fritz and Shapovalov teeing it up...I don't see the time yet. But it's a match that I would be inclined to watch. Fritz has the look and Shapovalov has got a lot of compelling arguments. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of these two in the future.

But there is another of the New Generation Darlings in the draw. None other than Hyeon Chung. The South Korean who pulled a disappearing act on Roger Federer at the Australian Open semifinals. He defaulted as opposed to letting the current and past King of Professional Tennis mop him up. No doubt he was injured but here he is a couple of weeks later. Ready to go from all indications. He's got a great draw and then he runs into Juan Martin Del Potro or Frances Tiafoe. Let's assume it will be Del Potro at the risk of accusations from the forum's SJW. But Chung will have a real chance to clear up some questions. But he does have to win his next round also. He plays Franko Skugor. There's a name for you. Thirty years old from Croatia. Six foot and six inches tall. Two hundred and twelve pounds...two handed backhand of course. Never heard of him. Ranked #303 in the world. Question...why does a man of this size need a two handed backhand. Don't tell me he is a backcourt grinder. Please...don't tell me.
      I met Franko Skugor in the credentials office last week prior to quails. Nice guy. Tall guy. Eye level with me. Sadly, he stays back.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Delray Beach has their best field...ever. Sadly, Kyrgios withdrew before tourney. Raonic, Sock, Querrey and Isner all lost early. It's the Del Potro show with all the Latins coming to support him from all over south Florida. He is a huge draw and a great guy for the tournament to market.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          I met Franko Skugor in the credentials office last week prior to quails. Nice guy. Tall guy. Eye level with me. Sadly, he stays back.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Do me a tiny favour would you klacr...tell him that don_budge said to lose the girly two hand backhand and get his ass to the net. Tell me what he says. You are as big as him...see what his reaction is. Report back to me. How's it with the "roomy" by the way? Do we get some updates on the situation or will you make us wait? Hope you guys are having a great time. I can only imagine...being a fly on the wall.

Back to the tourney! Well, well. Looky here. It's the Next Generation all wrapped up in one half of the draw. At least it is four of the biggest names. This should make a great viewing for our team on the ground...LaCroix/Yandell. A couple of great tennis minds. This is going to make for a great article.

Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov took out Jared Donaldson in three dreadfully long sets. To listen to the commentary of this marathon borathon was extraordinary. I have to hand it to the guys...they did their utmost to make it sound interesting. But it wasn't. Not for the average tennis fan. Or maybe LaCroix and Yandell will say otherwise. But here is what I saw...a lot of backcourt tennis. At one point Shapovalov did make a trip into the net. He hit a decent forehand volley down the line to the Donaldson forehand and Jared played it cross court at which point Shapovalov cut it off and neatly placed it into the open court. The commentator could not contain himself. He started exclaiming "McEnroe!". McEnroe...Shapovalov is not.

Not that it wasn't a nice play but it was a rare play. I didn't see the whole match. It wasn't the kind of match that you can sit down with a bowl of popcorn or a can of Pringles and watch from start to finish. Not like a Roger Federer versus Anybody match. But I did return to the match in between taking Puntzie down to the church and back. I like to go down the three quarters of a mile to the beautiful little country church out here and line up the cross on the steeple with the belt of Orion. Say a little prayer...thank you Lord for all of the gifts. Forgive me for all of my sins. I digress.

But I did take that walk during the match and had a bite to eat. Talked a bit with the wife. I kept returning to the computer as the match played nonstop. the boys continued to hammer it out. On and on and on. How it must have gone on. The commentators yammering their best. But it was low grade. The thing is now you use Roger Federer as the yardstick. He is the one that you calibrate against. These guys come up woefully short. They look so disorganized in their movement...in their anticipation and their preparation. It's all herky jerky. No semblance of true...style. Shapovalov comes a bit closer to what I am looking for but his appearance, his behaviour and his overall presentation is adolescent. Federer was way more evolved at this point in his play I would imagine.

Donaldson? Interesting that he actually looked a bit smoother in match play than the view we had in the few clips. But the service motion is really terrible and their is very little cerebral activity going on as far as tactical serving. Nothing thoughtful. Nothing thoughtful from either player in terms of shot selection either. While it is nice to see Shapovalov come over the ball with topspin he should take not that Roger statistically plays the ball more often with slice. The Shapovalov slice is not even an idea compared to the Federer slice. Federer uses the slice so intelligently and so tactically. It is all for a purpose. He isn't trying to win outright...he is either playing tactically defence or offence or he is trying to encourage an unforced error. Shapovalov is missing out on a huge advantage here...the left handed slice is even more effective because of the direction and the spin.

I am not so impressed with the Shapovalov game as I once tried to be. I see disorganisation. I see lack of clarity on how to most effectively construct points. He wants to rely solely on speed without careful consideration to the opponent on the other side of the net and his relative strengths and weaknesses. He plays seemingly without regard for exploiting his opponent. This is what Federer does so well and partly because it is sort of a no brainer these days. All of these guys play exactly alike. Shapovalov is going to need lots and lots of seasoning. And he is going to get some in this tournament for starters. Taylor Fritz up next. I have not seen Taylor in much in depth but I will be trying to study him a bit here against "The Menace". Mr. Wilson!

But the match below is equally fascinating. John...Kyle. I hope you guys are paying attention here. This match is just about as good as the tournament could have hoped for. Maybe not for the throngs of Latinos that were hoping for their "Big Lug" to pull through but for tennis this is what the ATP has been pushing for. They are getting what they hoped for. Hyeon Chung and Frances Tiafoe. Chung has a huge mountain to climb to get back in my good graces after that disgraceful exit at the Australian. Unless there is something I don't know about...he should have tried to crawl to the finish line if he had to. There he would have been met at the net by Roger to shake hands and receive his condolences. But by choosing to QUIT in the middle he robbed not only Roger but the crowd the finish. The bull takes it in the shoulder blades and all a tennis opponent has to do is make it to the net. Tough luck. It's a tough world out there. Merciless no less. Particularly so in the world of don_budge. It's dog eat dog and survival of the fittest. No quarter taken and none given.

But Hyeon and Francis, along with Denis and Taylor, have a huge chance to prove me wrong about everything. So I am looking forwards to both of these matches today. Nothing much else to do...except to walk the dog. Feed the horses. Thank you...Father.
          Last edited by don_budge; 02-23-2018, 12:44 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

John got some great footage this week in Delray. Always a pleasure to see him, not just for his tennis insights, but for his life insights and guidance. Proud to call him a friend.

I won't give away his experiences but I will say that tennis player.net subscribers are in for a nice treat, some excellent and thought provoking footage of the game's future stars.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              John got some great footage this week in Delray. Always a pleasure to see him, not just for his tennis insights, but for his life insights and guidance. Proud to call him a friend.

I won't give away his experiences but I will say that tennis player.net subscribers are in for a nice treat, some excellent and thought provoking footage of the game's future stars.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Originally posted by gsheiner View Post
              John,
              Agree with your comments about how great the Del Ray tournament is. Spent 3 days there this week and saw almost everybody up close.
              Was watching Chung warm up yesterday with just me and a buddy as the only people there..

Agree with almost all of your technical comments. To my amateur eye, the problem with Chung's serve is that he doesn't have enough forward hip lean and therefore doesn't get his weight onto the front foot enough before going up. Thus, very little pop and a major liability at his level.
              On the other hand, his mobility and technique off the ground are superb, especially the two hander which he hits with a very stable core allowing the arms to come through beautifully as opposed to Milos and Sock who overrotate as you describe.

Steve Johnson is another fellow who I believe has a technically flawed two hander but he has developed a world class slice which he uses extensively and has built tactical patterns around. This is probably the direction that Milos and Sock should go as I'm not sure they can fix their two handers at this point.

Another treat for me was watching Leander Paes on the back courts with two other doubles players. Still seems to have some of the world's best hands ,even at age 44. Maybe some day Tennisplayer could analyze his volley technique.

Tiafoe is another interesting player to watch technically. I know you analyzed his serve a few years ago, but i would be interested in your take of his technique on the groundies.

Cheers,
              Great to hear from both of you...all three of you. I think that your timing was just right. Although the top seeded players took early exits we got a chance to see the "Next Generation" up close and personal. Through your eyes.

But beyond your eyes there is always this website...gzhpcu posted it some time ago. Years ago. You can see any professional tennis match in the world with it. It's quite a buy...it's free.

I've had my finger on the pulse of this tournament and so glad that I did in the hopes that there is some discussion regarding the match play and technique of the participants. I watched quite a bit of the quarters...enough to know who's who and a little bit about their games and mindsets. Reilly Opeika came out with a bit of a weak mindset against Peter Gojowczyk but he competed in some tough conditions. I really like what he said afterwards and he heaped a lot of praise on his opponent and gave me the opinion that he wants a rematch. Stevie Johnson has looked like he is returning to the form that he had before the sudden passing of his father. You have to feel for him and pull for him. He's a hard nosed competitor and he took down a failing and flailing Milos Raonic. Raonic is just plain playing the wrong game and it is no surprise that he is pulling up lame like all of the rest. Trying to grind it out from the baseline makes zero sense. He can audition as many coaches as he likes but it is too late to salvage anything here. He is no Grand Slam contender as of now.

It was Denis Shapovalov and Taylor Fritz that I desperately wanted to see but had to rely on the highlight video for the tale of the tape. I was more impressed with Denis "The Menace" a year or so ago. Now he looks disorganized in not only his techinque but also his mental thing and tactical acumen. All I see from him is hit hard and harder. The slice backhand that gsheiner is talking about with the other guys is virtually missing from Denis' game. I was comparing him to Federer...and Federer he is not. I think it was Jimmy Arias that was saying that John McEnroe was talking up Shapovalov and it's understandable seeing as there isn't a lot to talk up but I see some rather glaring deficiencies that I believe will keep him from being the kind of consistent contender that we are looking for in the Next Generation.

Taylor Fritz was rather disappointing. I almost think he must have been injured as his movement seemed to be really bad. He never gets set up to hit the forehand and is content to make a bit of a flail with a completely open stance when he has time to step into the ball. Instead he does that little bolo forehand finishing over his head way more often that it seems necessary. He has lost the look that I was looking for.

Down below it is Hyceon Chung and Francis Tiafoe. What do you see? If this is the best the Next Generation has to offer then the tour is in for a downhill slide. Both players are nice backcourt players but there have been some infrequent forays into the net that show the lack of diversity in their games. Furthermore...both service motions leave a lot to be desired. As I am typing Francis has complete his win and he will meet Shapovalov a little later. A lot later and too late for me. What a shame.

Looking forwards to more posts from you guys. Great hearing from you.
              don_budge

Comment

It's baffling when you watch Hyceon Chung serve how his stance came about. I mean, no coach I know would teach someone to serve off a narrow base like that. It makes you wonder whether good players like him break through despite coaching rather than because of it.

The questions I ask myself when I see a player do something outside the norm are 1) where is the benefit? 2) is it effective?I don't see any benefit and it is not effective.

tennis_chiro have banged on about this kind of thing before....take 3 to 6 months out and change it. Great players, past and present, have taken time out to develop a shot that is ineffective. Djokovic did it with his serve some years ago, Lew Hoad did it with his backhand, Borg did it with his serve and his volleys, and Gonzales did it with his backhand. The sacrifice can turn out to be a huge benefit as those four players testify.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  It's baffling when you watch Hyceon Chung serve how his stance came about. I mean, no coach I know would teach someone to serve off a narrow base like that. It makes you wonder whether good players like him break through despite coaching rather than because of it.

The questions I ask myself when I see a player do something outside the norm are 1) where is the benefit? 2) is it effective?I don't see any benefit and it is not effective.

tennis_chiro have banged on about this kind of thing before....take 3 to 6 months out and change it. Great players, past and present, have taken time out to develop a shot that is ineffective. Djokovic did it with his serve some years ago, Lew Hoad did it with his backhand, Borg did it with his serve and his volleys, and Gonzales did it with his backhand. The sacrifice can turn out to be a huge benefit as those four players testify.
                  I think Chung has made some effort to change a little since the Aussie Open. Watching in that amazing run, I could have sworn there was no forward weight shift at all during the actual upward move of the tossing arm, but I detect some forward weight transfer now and a slightly wider base. For me, the linking of the weight transfer to the actual toss (simultaneous) is an essential lynch pin to a repeatable, consistent and reliable toss, and therefore a reliable serve. So I give him credit for moving in the right direction. But still, very weak shoulder and hip action. I'd be curious what his coach is having him do right now. Perhaps JY will fill us in on that. What little I saw of Chung against Tiafoe only confirmed what I thought after the Aussie Open. He's next. ... if he can improve the serve.

But I think Tiafoe came of age this week and by the end of March, he should be a regular presence in the top 50. He showed tremendous maturity in dealing with the pressure of ending the match against Chung. Served 3 aces and a service winner in the final game. Then he backed it up against Shapovalov. Of course, I don't like the forehand or the serve, but he is a beast. It's going to take a top twenty player to expose the deficiencies in his fundamentals.

don

Comment

Denis Shapovalov versus Francis Tiafoe...Delray Beach Semifinals

Francis Tiafoe prevails straight sets 7-5, 6-4. For some reason Puntzie decided to throw up at ten minutes to two this morning. I got up and picked it up, flushing it down the toilet. Wiped it down some. He looked ok...just a bit of an upset stomach. Dogs do that now and then. But the upside was that I was up and the boys were just getting ready to tee it up. It's not the type of match that I ordinarily would get up in the middle of the night or prefer to watch but I have to admit...it was somewhat interesting. The thing is it wasn't interesting because of the high caliber of play...it was interesting watching because of a bit of contrast between the two players. One prototypical two-hand backhand and strong gripped forehand and the other left-handed and one hand backhand. These days most of the players play the same style...or lack of style. Here were two highly hyped players of the group that is becoming known as the "Next Generation". They are now hyping themselves and one by one they fall into the trap of believing their own press.

Denis Shapovalov is not as impressive as I initially thought he was. Extremely talented? I don't know. I've seen more talented. Pete Sampras comes to mind. His name has been kicked around in the "other" Delray Beach thread. But Denis is young...and he really acts it. Once you realize that acting the part is a big part of being the part you have stepped it up a notch. A couple of things about young Denis. First of all that stupid baseball cap is just silly. Sure...lots of players play with them on but I will never get used to the idea. It doesn't look right to my critical eye. Number two is that stupid habit he has of bouncing the ball between his legs in his pre-serve motion. You don't see Roger Federer doing anything for nothing. Why does Denis do it? He does it to be different. He thinks he owns that little idiosyncrasy but in fact it sort of owns him. When he is in a tight situation he should only be thinking about hitting an effective serve, not being a hot dog and thinking of looking cute. Preserving some useless stupid artefact of a motion that means nothing. Lose that Denis...Nick Kyrgios also has that same disease and look what his mental prognosis is.

Beyond those two things Denis has got some major growing up to do with his game. Of course the one-handed topspin backhand is a thing of glory but I believe that the slice is the bread and butter in the end. It might not look so glorious but it keeps you in points that you otherwise lose and you can use it to set up the next ball. Denis being left handed is losing out on some major tactical real estate in not utilizing this in his bag of tricks. The forehand is pretty loosey, goosey too. He never seems to set up on the ball the same way twice in a row. Again we defer to the "Living Proof" and Roger makes every forehand look like every other forehand. Roger is set up on the ball every single time the same way. Sure his feet might be in a different position but by setting up the same way every time he also can finish the same way every time. Shapovalov is all over the map and he is falling almost every time he swings at a forehand...basically because he is swinging to hit home runs. Roger hits his share of home runs but he also is mixing into the collage a lot of singles, doubles, triples and even walks. Free passes. He's under control and balanced. That is the beauty of the Federer game...one time he is beating you with speed the next time he is beating you with a combination of spin and placement.

I think it was Jimmy Arias that got all thrilled about one routine net play that Denis pulled off against Fritz and he was gushing about comparisons to John McEnroe and this and that. But what I saw against Tiafoe was indecision in the approach game and less than decisive volleying once at the net. He muffed a couple of balls that were not that difficult...for an accomplished volleyer. The service motion is pretty nice...I would like to see a better approach to initiating the motion. Too much energy devoted to the shenanigans of the bounce between the legs. So much for the hype of Shapovalov. He has potential and I hope that the brain trust behind him have the map going forwards. There are questions.

Francis Tiafoe is an entirely different story. While his game looks to be less fluid and more mechanical I wonder if appearances might be sort of deceiving in this case. His movement is really quite excellent. He gets set up to the ball in the same way every time. As nearly as possible. I think the backswing in both his forehand and his serve are sort of odd looking and certainly his own interpretation on how to get it done...but nevertheless he is repetitive. Being repetitive playing tennis or even writing on a tennis forum is not a sin...not in tennis. A game based on repetitive motions. But asides from the backswing he really delivers his energy to the ball in both strokes because he is set up. hockeyscout talks about athletic sets all of the time and this is precisely what he is talking about. Tiafoe gets away with a multitude of sins because of his athletic approach to running down the ball and getting into position. I believe there might be questions about his game if the ATP and ITF decide to speed up the game some. That forehand might become more erratic as all of the modern forehands inevitably do when they are hitting the ball when it is low and skidding off the court.

It is the Tiafoe backhand that I find interesting and it appears to me that this is a major stabilizing force in his overall game. First of all he is very quick and he really gets his legs under him whenever possible. But it seems to me that he has really good power of this wing, with power being the combination of three elements of speed, spin and placement. He is capable of getting some good "wood" on the ball and he is very patient with this stroke as well. In fact...overall he appears to be more patient that Shapovalov. Shapovalov looks to be in a hurry to get somewhere and is not taking the time necessary to get the job done. This weakness manifests itself in his poor judgment in shot selection at times. Remember I am not saying that he does this all of the time but he has a tendency and these kinds of tendencies often show up as weaknesses just when you need something dependable. In this regard Tiafoe looks to be the stronger of the two mentally.

All in all it was quite the interesting match. I watched up until it was 3-2 in the second. It was three something in the morning. Tiafoe was up double break at 3-0 and it almost looked as if Shapovalov was ready to throw in the towel. Tiafoe got just a bit tentative and made a couple of errors to let Shapovalov get close but somehow it appeared to me that Tiafoe had it locked down. Just a feeling that I had and as usual I won't go so far as to say I was right.
                    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      Did I underestimate Francis?
                      Not at all. The field wasn't the strongest but it was ok. Barely ok for an ATP 250. Franices played it smart...he played within himself. That is exactly what he had to do

Reilly Opelka-228...Peter Gojowczyk-64...Evgeny Donskoy-76...Steve Johnson-51...Taylor Fritz-85...Denis Shapovalov-46...Hyceon Chung-30...Francis Tiafoe-91...Juan Martin Del Potro-10.

These are the rankings of the last eight plus Del Potro. Frances was among peers. The conditions were windy which makes it more difficult and favors the tougher mentally and better physical condition. Frances was among peers and he performed admirably in the conditions. He kept his cool and just kept plugging. He isn't pretty (the tennis) but he is pretty darn consistent. He gets the ball in play and played within himself. It was a good tournament for him...not great mind you. I've changed my mind...it was a great tournament for him. He needs to stay in the moment now and not let this ATP 250 victory in the scope of things get to his head. One match at a time. One point in a time. You have got to stay in that moment that is right in front of your nose. It's a tough balancing act.

The big takeaway here for Frances is not so much that he won the tournament but that he defeated Juan Martin Del Potro, Hyeon Chung and Denis Shapovalov in the process. The individual matches are the key here...not necessarily the trophy. Now if he can find some consistency here in the level of his performance he will be onto something.

There is going to be hype surrounding him now. A lot of it. Look what that hype did to Alexander Zverev and to some extent Dominic Thiem. It's tough these days in the cyber world. Things get rolling over night. A victory like this sparks a lot of conversation. The bigger picture is one for American tennis. These guys have to get humping somehow. Perhaps they can somehow have a synergystic effect on American tennis. You know...where the sum of the parts is greater than the value of the whole. Make American Tennis Great Again! MATGA.
                      don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8067 users online. 3 members and 8064 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X