2018 Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBS...ATP 500...Acapulco, Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
    I was watching these highlights and wondered out loud why Del Potro does not just switch to a one handed topspin backhand. Why not just try and mix in a few here and there? I mean he is certainly strong enough and if he does it like Tsonga only out of desperation he might just start to build confidence.

Yes, the slice is the shot par excellence to defeat the modern game. It's just so effective and everyone is left having to try and do something.
    Juan Martin Del Potro has done a rather amazing switcharoo in midstream with the use of the one handed slice. It would not surprise me that the drive is being worked on in practice and this would fundamentally change Juan Martin as a tennis player. Your comments about the net play or lack of it might also be another facet that he is developing. I believe that Del Potro has been coming forwards more and he has looked quite adept at it.

He is an excellent example that changes can be made in tennis players and it all comes down to intensive practice as Bill Tilden outlined the development of his own backhand in 1925. He felt that a certain opponent had the advantage of him because he could not drive his own backhand so he took to the practice court and essentially developed the drive and he himself was a different player.

I am impressed with the Del Potro slice even at this point. It looks to me as if it more of an old school carry the ball on your racquet slice as opposed to the modern day slice which is actually not a slice at all. It is a chop and there is a fundamental difference. Juan Martin is using his slice to come forwards as well and he is carrying the ball on his racquet more and as a consequence he is quite effective. With his height and reach it only makes sense. He seems to be evolving somewhat. A rarity nowadays.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

He is an excellent example that changes can be made in tennis players and it all comes down to intensive practice as Bill Tilden outlined the development of his own backhand in 1925. He felt that a certain opponent had the advantage of him because he could not drive his own backhand so he took to the practice court and essentially developed the drive and he himself was a different player.
      Nothing impresses me more than a tour player who is prepared to do this. It shows A to B awareness.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        Nothing impresses me more than a tour player who is prepared to do this. It shows A to B awareness.
        Right...and I think that this is one of the best things that could happen to the game if Del Potro gets to the point where he has the confidence in his ability to drive the ball one handed. The one hand slice is looking a bit more old school than the rest...he stays with the ball with the racquet head. It is only a bit of a different angle and playing the ball a bit more forwards in the stance that makes the drive possible and the "easiest" stroke in tennis. Or should I say the most natural.

There is really no real reason why his drive on the backhand cannot be a similar stroke to his forehand. If he starts to believe in it...it might be a bit scary.

He could borrow a chapter out of Tilden's nearly hundred year old book and rewrite modern tennis. "The Value of Intensive Practice."
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8388 users online. 9 members and 8379 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X