My Dad and the Modern Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad and the Modern Forehand

Let's get your thoughts on Jimmy Arias' article, "My Dad and the Modern Forehand"

This was certainly one of the very best tennis videos I have ever seen. His father understood how things basically worked, and he realized right away that traditional teaching methods at that time left a lot to be desired. I wish Jimmy would have told the story about his practice set against Rod Laver when Jimmy was just 12 years old. Laver had to really struggle to win a very close set because the twelve year old's forehand was that devastating. At that time, Laver was in his mid-thirties. Anyway, a terrific article, straight from the horse's mouth.

Norman Ashbrooke

Comment

Jimmy's still got it.
      That forehand that started it all. His humor and ability to set the scene is appreciated. He understands his significance but has no ego on the power of his influence. He is well liked by many in the broadcast booth and is a very warm guy. But that forehand is still a great model for anyone to follow. Modern? Classic? Nope. Timeless. Transcends eras and styles.
      Wonderful video.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Amazing interview with Jimmy Arias. Wonderful history and some important lessons there for technical coaches.

The naysayers always claiming novel strokes will cause injury or won’’t work under pressure.

Direct parallels to Borg’’’s technical journey and Sergei Bruguera’s story too. Everyone told Luis Bruguera in the 80’s that his son would ruin his wrist with that forehand!

Coaches today still arguing and fighting the modern evolution of the stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          Jimmy's still got it.
          That forehand that started it all. His humor and ability to set the scene is appreciated. He understands his significance but has no ego on the power of his influence. He is well liked by many in the broadcast booth and is a very warm guy. But that forehand is still a great model for anyone to follow. Modern? Classic? Nope. Timeless. Transcends eras and styles.
          Wonderful video.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Jimmy is so likeable, and he comes across as so genuine as a broadcaster. I love listening to him. He and Aaron were a couple of my favorites when playing.

Comment

that interview was outstanding. thx for that. amazing how nickB gets all the fh credit, but it was actually jimmy's dad that laid the groundwork.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8056 users online. 2 members and 8054 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X