Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerald Pattterson serve 1919 - very modern

Look at his serve at the start of this video:

Extremely modern: great racket drop, loop toss, hits left to right, great external/internal shoulder rotation. His handicap: one foot had to remain in touch with the ground. But the basics have not changed in 100 years...

Yes not a bad serve. Not sure I like his follow through much. Don Budge's finish is much better, as is Laver's.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      Yes not a bad serve. Not sure I like his follow through much. Don Budge's finish is much better, as is Laver's.
      It looks to me as if Patterson is hitting an "American Twist" serve which has the racquet finishing on the other side of the body. I liked Don Budge's motion much better when I knew him in 1972 and 1973. He was about 58 years old then and his motion had evolved from what we see here.

Nice post by the way gzhpcu...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I know that aesthetically his serve is less nice than Budge, Gonzales, etc..... Just wanted to point out that he has elements of a modern serve, despite the fact it is 1919....

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          I know that aesthetically his serve is less nice than Budge, Gonzales, etc..... Just wanted to point out that he has elements of a modern serve, despite the fact it is 1919....
          And you are right, it does have great elements. I bet Gerald would never have believed 99 years later he would be plastered on Youtube and discussed in Tennisplayer's forum. Gerald lives on.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            On page 72 in William Tilden's masterpiece "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball" copywriten in 1925, there is a wonderful black and white photo of the Gerald L. Patterson service motion at the very top...it could fit in with the picture study "Tour Portrait Jim Fawcette: Serve Contact Height" in this month's issue. The picture was taken at Wimbledon in 1922. The caption says "The Melbourne man at the top of his tremendous service, the most perfect style of delivery in the world".

I wouldn't say that his motion is less pleasing aesthetically speaking than others. Perhaps the quality of the film is an influence here. But 1922...come on. This guy was ahead of the curve. That backswing is a thing beauty and the transition between backswing and forward swing is silky smooth. I guess Tilden would know. The music doesn't hurt it either. In fact it does it justice.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8403 users online. 7 members and 8396 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X