Interactive Forum: Hand and Forearm Motion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gzhpcu
    It would be cool, if we had diagrams defining all these biomechanical terms, so that we would all have the same understanding. To avoid semantical misunderstandings, as Brian Gordon mentioned in another thread.
    or a nice 3d animation that shows it.

Comment

ShooterMacmarco,

were you able to download the clips in the biomechanics section?

Comment

Beautiful pictures...

Pulling from low and inside:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by lukman41985; 11-19-2006, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Beutiful Pictures

Originally posted by lukman41985
          Pulling from low and inside:
          The thing that jumps out at me is the extreme amount of torque loading (supination) of the arm. Its wound like a spring ready to release. It also appears that the wrist in addition to being flexed is ulnar deviated but its very difficult to tell for sure in the picture.

In any event the wrist movement is not a simple flexion or ulnar deviation, it is a complex combination that when released and combined with arm pronation will move the racquet in a path from low to high and through the ball.

I suspect (theorize) that the actual wrist motion varies with the grip. More ulnar -radial deviation for a pure 3-3 eastern and more flexion-extension for the pure 5-5 western.

regards,

Comment

Cyberhound,

Were you able to view the wrist mov't clips in the Biomechanics section, or did you have any tech problems?

Comment

One of the posters wants me to give my final thoughts and to summarize things on this huge post (80 responses) since I came up with the idea for it just so students don’t have to scroll so much.

I appreciate everyone’s hard work on this post and the many arguments you’ve all been brave enough to post and defend.

Rather than saying “Ok guys, this is how it really is” (as If one person can be right all of the time, ), I’d prefer this to inspire you all to hit the courts and do some experiments for yourselves.

If you really are dying to know my opinion on wrist and forearm action in the current World Class Forehand, just do a search on my name. Also, make sure you look at the wrist/forearm action clips in the biomechanics section and report bugs and let us know what you think.

The clips link what I've typed in the posts to what actually happens with the human body. It’s an attempt to get everyone up to speed in some basic biomechanics that I think is long overdue.

And as always, if you want to know more, shoot me an email, and we’ll try to meet up.

Next months Forum will be another controversial issue involving the forehand, so get ready!

Comment

Biomech clips

Originally posted by EricMatuszewski
                Cyberhound,

Were you able to view the wrist mov't clips in the Biomechanics section, or did you have any tech problems?
                I had no problems viewing them. I looked at several, maybe all, I'm not sure. Anyway, I already had a good idea of what movements belong to what names so no surprises.

regards,
                Last edited by cyberhound; 11-27-2006, 03:32 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Thanks for your work Eric. Maybe it would be simpler if John could make the links accessible in a "definitions" article under biomechanics, adding others, as needed, such as "internal shoulder rotation", etc. John?

Comment

Eventually that is what is going to happen! (Sometime in 2007.)

Comment

Picture of Rafa

Pulling from low and inside, Wimby '06...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Shocking how similar Moya and Federer look at this point despite the huge difference in grip...
                        Attached Files

Comment

I've always thought that Moya had one of the best looking forehands in tennis. His style of running around the BH's just does not get it done anymore.

Comment

To really get a good understanding of what the stretch-shortening cycle looks like, check out this clip. If you look closely you'll be able to appreciate, and maybe even feel, the extent to which relaxation and acceleration can create a certain look that translates into an explosive athletic movement exemplified by the forehand of the top player in the world. Rewind this clip to 5 frames before contact and stop. Check out Roger's shadow on the ground. Now move one frame forward. Again, check out the shadow. Move one more frame forward and once more observe the shadow. Now toggle between these 3 frames. What an incredible piece of footage:

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8039 users online. 4 members and 8035 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X