Sampras Hip and Shoulders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampras Hip and Shoulders

That classic lesson--is that information valuable or just science detail? How does it help teachers?

I remember it as being very elaborate, and then trying to enact some of the ideas, and not being very successful. But it was a very good article, whatever it was. I think in sleuthing out better strokes for ourselves, we should welcome all information from the arcane to the ridiculously elemental and simple. Any experience at all will tell you you usually don't know what and when will provide an "Aha" moment for you. (Brent Abel's expression and a very good one.)

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
      I remember it as being very elaborate, and then trying to enact some of the ideas, and not being very successful. But it was a very good article, whatever it was. I think in sleuthing out better strokes for ourselves, we should welcome all information from the arcane to the ridiculously elemental and simple. Any experience at all will tell you you usually don't know what and when will provide an "Aha" moment for you. (Brent Abel's expression and a very good one.)

An "aha" moment for you? A Bigfoot sighting in a Dunkin Donuts is far more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

An "aha" moment for you? A Bigfoot sighting in a Dunkin Donuts is far more likely.
        I go into no restaurants or bars.* But what a disappointment. I thought for a moment you were going to write about tennis again.

*Well, there is one coffee place but it's not part of a chain. Chains are for torturers and other goosesteppers.

No "aha" moments for me? Are you kidding? I'm open to a new one at any time-- far more than most tennis players, who are uninventive and don't want to change anything. Am I wrong about that?

"Just hit the same old boring shot." Right? You can have it. I know plenty of players like that and am unimpressed. As for my own game, I'd like not to boast, but suspect that thanks to aha moments I am a better player than at any previous time in my life.

But do I have to proclaim it? Not if I know it. And the two teaching pros I'm now working with are both encouraging me to feel better at all times about my game, not worse the way you and sein Steve would have me do, you worshippers of malevolence and cant despite your cant. One of the pros: "You're winning most of the points, John."

Hey, I realize you were just kidding. But thought you ought to hear a little bit of the truth in this matter.

Last edited by bottle; 03-21-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Dipper,
          The article is descriptive. But the implication is no one could control those changes in angles--not even Pete. They are a consequence of his stance and natural turning motion away from and back into the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Dipper,
            The article is descriptive. But the implication is no one could control those changes in angles--not even Pete. They are a consequence of his stance and natural turning motion away from and back into the ball.
            This kind of echoes what I think about many aspects of all tennis strokes. You often cannot micro manage fine details because so often these things are heavily governed by other factors that have got on before. I think it was Brian Gordon who said something like 'the style of wind up a player has for their serve sets the table for what follows'. I think Brian is right.

Stotty

Comment

Stotty,
              Agreed and that article is an example of why. I thought it might show some simple relationships but it was the opposite.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7720 users online. 5 members and 7715 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X