Overview of the 12 Golden Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overview of the 12 Golden Moves

Let's discuss David Bailey's summary article, "Overview of the 12 Golden Moves"

What a great deal to have the 12 Golden Moves in one place! Much appreciated as a player and a teaching pro to have these footwork patterns so beautifully filmed and described...

Comment

My question to David is if my player is pulled wide to his forehand how do I judge his choice of contact moves. Say he misses into the net and has employed a mogel. Or if he is pulled wide employed a power move and opponent hits a winner to open court.

Comment

A nice recap of all 12 moves. I notice some of the moves are very similar to each other when watched back-to-back in this final video article. It's very noticeable when you watch aspiring juniors how many don't use these moves and how much they might improve if they did. From a coaching perspective, these videos have improved my understanding of footwork and how to teach it considerably. I'd like to thank David for that. Yet another string to Stotty's bow!
        Stotty

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their great feedback. Very much appreciated.
          To Bobby ...the great players will always try and mogul as much as possible as the recovery is much faster when shifting beyond the ball after the hit, than lunging at the ball when you power move. A lot of moguls are hit into the net as players try and recover half way through the shot so really important to slightly freeze the finish of the shot and keep good alignment over the outside leg. Another good tip is feel the ball hit the strings before hitting the mogul move .
          You will tend to hit a mogul when crossing out to the ball but if you are pumping you arms and running and need to cover a lot of ground quickly at the last minute then use a power move
          Particularly if you have a gap to hit to, you might go for the winner but especially on the backhand side the power move is very advanced so better to go deep middle and take away the angles. Really important when going for a power move winner to think of recovering anyway as a common error is to jump up and look at your target rather than staying low and kicking the rear leg to the side fence so you stay side on through the shot
          Again, very happy to answer any further questions!!!

Comment

I have hopefully uploaded a "Word" document that gives a description of each of David Bailey's 12 Golden Moves.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm hosting a USPTA Regional Education Day at my club later today. David is one of my guest speakers and has some interactive footwork stuff planned for his on-court seminar. The audience is going to love it. There is no one better or more well versed and studied in the area of footwork to convey the message of its importance. So lucky to now have David based in my area.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                I'm hosting a USPTA Regional Education Day at my club later today. David is one of my guest speakers and has some interactive footwork stuff planned for his on-court seminar. The audience is going to love it. There is no one better or more well versed and studied in the area of footwork to convey the message of its importance. So lucky to now have David based in my area.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Any chance you could video this a put it on the forum? I am not sure it breaches any rights but people have done that over here at seminars in the past. I know Rick Macci has posted numerous clips of himself addressing coaches at what looks like coaching seminars.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Any chance you could video this a put it on the forum? I am not sure it breaches any rights but people have done that over here at seminars in the past. I know Rick Macci has posted numerous clips of himself addressing coaches at what looks like coaching seminars.
                  Stotty, would have been great. The event was on the 14th so a little late. But I can tell you David was awesome. He had 20 people from the audience on court, working on foot work moves and loving it. Engaging and informative. Great stuff.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

I ran across a David Bailey Contact Move Slideshow. For anyone interested, I have written out the slideshow in a "Word" document. At the end, is a 21 contact move circuit he has developed, enjoy. THE BAILEY METHOD.docx

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                      I ran across a David Bailey Contact Move Slideshow. For anyone interested, I have written out the slideshow in a "Word" document. At the end, is a 21 contact move circuit he has developed, enjoy. [ATTACH]n72271[/ATTACH]
                      Undoubtedly great stuff. But what an information overload it is when presented all together like this. How long would it take to work all of this into one's nerves? Three years?

The aspiring player, as all players should be, might do better to take one footwork idea only and try to perfect it-- at least at first. Maybe he noticed the same left-right-left in Tom Okker and Stan Smith. Then he sees that Brian Gordon favors neutral stance, semi-open and even closed stance forehands. Well, a semi-open shot can be hit either from left-right-left or right-left-right. But if he's going to hit a lot of neutral stance shots he may as well use left-right-left on semi-opens too just for the sake of consistency.

And maybe save hitting off right foot for certain service returns. Or for very wide shots. And diversify further much, much later.
                      Last edited by bottle; 06-27-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2975 users online. 6 members and 2969 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X