Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arturohernandez
    replied
    It is not really a dropshot but more like a reverse slice serve. In any case, the slice really opens up so many options to players. It is too bad that I see so few women hitting it these days. Maybe someone will come back and imitate Graf one of these days.

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

Arturo, a great shot if used sparingly. Trick is catching it well in front of the body and getting the racket head vertical with the correct face angle.
    Helpful! But this isn't a dropshot, it's a chop, no?

Me, I'm a fan of short angled topspin returns for doubles. Someone might call them dinks but they are more than a dropshot and possible even off a hard serve with you pretty far back.

Save dropshots for when you are pretty far in?

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
    Yes, the dropshot return is not something I think most players can hit.

But I do have the sense that with enough experimentation players can learn to hit different kinds of shots using slice.

One of my favorites is for high balls to the backhand. It's like a slice serve but on the backhand side. It's one of my favorites and very neutralizing because the ball kind bounces out of the court and stays really low.

Has anyone used that one regularly?

I don't but I am wondering how effective it is or whether it should be used sparingly.

Arturo, a great shot if used sparingly. Trick is catching it well in front of the body and getting the racket head vertical with the correct face angle.

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    I saw a former pro who swung extremely hard on his backhand slice. The ball path was linear about 3 feet over the net. It seemed to stay in the air a long time and maintained close to 3 feet in height when traveling. It always looked like it was going long, but the speed dropped off so fast at the last second and the ball died and fell toward the baseline This excessive spin allowed the player to rush in and close the net behind his slice approach. I asked him how he did that. He said he took more of a forehand grip and chopped downward somewhat to keep the ball from flying upward.This was doubles however.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied

But I do have the sense that with enough experimentation players can learn to hit different kinds of shots using slice.

One of my favorites is for high balls to the backhand. It's like a slice serve but on the backhand side. It's one of my favorites and very neutralizing because the ball kind bounces out of the court and stays really low.

I don't but I am wondering how effective it is or whether it should be used sparingly.
    Coming round the side of a high ball is quite common. It's actually hard not to. You can get a more deliberate swing on the ball if you work for it of course. Dexterity is the key to learning the many nuances of slice. A player needs to develop good hand skills to cut inside low balls and give them inside out spin. Sadly these skills are mostly gone. It takes endless practice to develop the the full gamut of slice. Players do practice endlessly but not doing that sort of thing anymore. Players are outrageously good at bludgeoning the cover off the ball, though.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied

Last edited by arturohernandez; 04-09-2018, 08:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    Originally posted by klacr View Post
    All slice is underpin, not all underspin is slice. There is a difference. A shot hit with underspin has some degree of backspin but travels in a linear line/direction. Slice is a ball with underpin that bends or curves moving toward or away from the opponent after the bounce. Most players and even coaches do not know this. Often times, underpin and slice are used interchangeably.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Nice. I had this distinction built into my strokes, but now I have the verbal distinction to go along with it-- thanks. And I am convinced-- as a former crew coach-- that this is a fine way to go. Most development comes from well articulated thought. And the necessary thought isn't available if there isn't the language (vocabulary) to express it.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied

All slice is underpin, not all underspin is slice. There is a difference. A shot hit with underspin has some degree of backspin but travels in a linear line/direction. Slice is a ball with underpin that bends or curves moving toward or away from the opponent after the bounce. Most players and even coaches do not know this. Often times, underpin and slice are used interchangeably.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    I am surprised that there is so little variation taught these days. Most players can hit one type of ball well.

At the same time I feel like variation can go wrong in so many ways and so coaches prefer to teach a more rigid structural type of shot.

If you want to see a real symphony of slices try this youtube video of the player who reintroduced us to the beauty of the slice in all its forms.

https://youtu.be/glFUWAPsOKY
    How to Play the Game

Thanks so much for posting this great video. I hadn't seen it. I'm sure many other persons hadn't either.

A lot of these shots can't be hit by mortals. But a lot can if people will just give them a chance. A lot of slice is easier to hit than drive-- that's not a big thing to say.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    I am surprised that there is so little variation taught these days. Most players can hit one type of ball well.

At the same time I feel like variation can go wrong in so many ways and so coaches prefer to teach a more rigid structural type of shot.

If you want to see a real symphony of slices try this youtube video of the player who reintroduced us to the beauty of the slice in all its forms.

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    Dogopolov on the Maggot-Infested I Love Dogs

The slice we ought to look into simply because it is not discussed as much as any other kind of slice is the sidespun slice best described by John M. Barnaby in his book RACKET WORK: THE KEY TO TENNIS.

These are slices in which linear bod weight is maximized (or withheld) while circular arm swing is minimized.

Put another way, the bod travels (linear) at right angles to the racket work which also is linear.

So you don't turn shoulders way around the way you do on a topspin drive or hit-through slice.

And you can extend the right angles concept to vicious chop: linear bod travel at target + linear racket work from high to low probably while opening racket face a bit.

One constantly is told-- and by good coaches-- to turn the shoulders way back. Well here is the chance to be a rebel and not do that.

On stay-low forehand approach the racket crosses from right to left while rear leg walks through. One's knee and one's string bed arrive at the ball at the precise same time. (That observation comes from study of a single photograph.)

The result is an interesting shot that stays low and bounces to the outside. It is so interesting that one should try it on a service return some time.

And similarly minimize shoulders turn on backhand side.

There will be mutt versions of which Dogopolov is best example-- shots in which bod does turn way around in order to spin into ball before the sidespin vector takes over.

I love dogs is of course the new movie ISLE OF DOGS (https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...hrome&ie=UTF-8).
    Last edited by bottle; 04-06-2018, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    The slice. The most underrated shot at the club level?
    It's amazing how many players struggle to execute an effective slice and even more amazing how many players struggle to react and reply when receiving one.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Alexander Dogopolov: Winning Slice Patterns

Alexander Dogopolov: Winning Slice Patterns

Let's get your thoughts on Chris Lewit's article, "Alexander Dogopolov: Winning Slice Patterns"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8180 users online. 4 members and 8176 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X