Cool link with Tony Roche and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool link with Tony Roche and others

Tony Roche gives a lesson on the serve. The clip is in English but translated into Spanish. Good footage of great servers from the 70’s.

What do you think of Tony Roche’s abbreviated motion and low toss John?

Comment

Nice find, Phil.

It's not a pretty motion. It like a quirkier version of Roscoe Tanner's. It's odd when you break it down. He doesn't lower the tossing arm much to commence the throw, nor does he put it anywhere near vertical after releasing the ball. Like a lot of players of that era he lands on his rear foot. Despite it's oddness he does generate a lovely rocking rhythm and has vicious racket speed.

I saw him play at Wembley albeit when he was well past his best. He had a super backhand volley and could glance and deflect shots beautifully with it.

Here is a lovely clip where you can witness Tony's vicious serve and his lovely backhand volley. I could watch these clips all day.

Stotty

Comment

Phil,
        I think you know what I think. Works for Tony. Not how I believe it should be taught to most players. As we have discussed, the abbreviated requires more shoulder flexibility than most people have.

Comment

I like stirring things up a bit John...

Comment

I like finding the right solution and sticking with it!

Comment

That is what is so good about tennisplayer.net... . Consistency in the articles published.

Comment

The abbreviated motion hasn't been uncommon among the pro ranks over the years. Tony Roche had a very good serve. It could be any pro player with a more classic motion might be able to serve equally as well with an abbreviated motion. It's just the classic motion is prevalent because coaches, by and large, teach the longer wind-up over the abbreviated motion.

Coaching ignorance can override 'the best way'. Look how long it took for open stances to gain acceptance amongst coaches, not to mention more extreme grips. It likely took stubborn players to accidentally show coaches the best ways.

I did post a clip of 13 year old Sidney Wood with a forehand that had a shape and a grip that wouldn't have looked to out of place today. By the time Sidney was 20 his forehand had been changed to a continental grip and a swing path much like Fred Perry. Coaching no doubt did that.

The player 'always find the best way' might be an invalid theory if coaching during the formative years of a young player is overwhelming enough.
                Last edited by stotty; 04-15-2018, 01:46 PM.
                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8564 users online. 6 members and 8558 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X