2018 Monte Carlo Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Monte Carlo Open

since don_budge did not start the thread, I will do it. Hope he is ok...

Djokovic looked strong in his first match. See if he can keep it up. He has a pretty tough draw.

Djokovic looked flawless game wise but he still lacks that chin up/chest out body language that he frequently had when he was unbeatable. Reunited with his old coach Marian Vajda and he's recreating the old feeling again.

Berdych had an absolute dud of a match yesterday. Legitimately pissed off at his performance vs. a less than 100% Nishikori.

Monte Carlo is beautiful. Home to super cars and super yachts.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Djokovic looked flawless game wise but he still lacks that chin up/chest out body language that he frequently had when he was unbeatable. Reunited with his old coach Marian Vajda and he's recreating the old feeling again.
      Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Just what he needs. It was never broken so why did he try to fix it? Marian is one of the best out there in my view.
      Stotty

Comment

Thiem won a cliff hanger against Rublev. He stands way back like Nadal. Has to run much more. Wonder how many years he can keep that up?

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Just what he needs. It was never broken so why did he try to fix it? Marian is one of the best out there in my view.
          Agree stotty. That move never made sense to me either. Djokovic seems like he is in better place. I wonder if he will ever get back to the level he was once at.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Djokovic has a couple of hurdles: an in form Coric, then probably Thiem with Nadal lurking....

Comment

Agree stotty. That move never made sense to me either. Djokovic seems like he is in better place. I wonder if he will ever get back to the level he was once at.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Djokovic has a couple of hurdles: an in form Coric, then probably Thiem with Nadal lurking....
              I am not sure he can get back to his unbeatable best but it would be great if he could. With Roger in such fine form, it would be great to see them match up again. I've always liked the Roger/Novak match-ups. Their matches have always been so close and can swing either way.

Coric...Thiem...Nadal? Novak has got to start somewhere so why not the deep end. Nine months is a long time out at 30. The next six months will tell us if it's possible or not.
              Stotty

Comment

I only saw the second set but Djokovic looked to be going about his business in a quiet, subdued way. Coric is a difficult player to put away. Djokovic looked solid enough and that kind of match is good for him. Next please....
                Stotty

Comment

The Djokovic match with Coric much more competitive but Djokovic found his form. Movement is not back yet, but like stotty, I really hope we see peak Djokovic form again.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

An absorbing match between Novak and Thiem. Thiem looked the better player in the last two sets but Novak should be encouraged. It wasn't a bad performance and it's exactly the type of match he needs.

Elsewhere Nadal looks in crushing form. I wouldn't bet against him winning the French Open this season, would you?
                    Stotty

Comment

Wow! Nadal concedes only 2 games against Thiem!

Comment

Wow! Nadal concedes only 2 games against Thiem!
                        He's amazing on clay, isn't he? It's the one surface he is supremely confident on and there is no one fit enough today to give him a run for his money. It could easily be 11 for Rafa at Roland Garros this season, winning 11 would be an insane achievement.
                        Stotty

Comment

Rafa is unbelievable on clay! Way above the others.

Comment

Tennis is predictable. Rafa wins again. Just rename the Monte Carlo tournament after him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Rafa is unbelievable on clay! Way above the others.
                              Tennis is predictable. Rafa wins again. Just rename the Monte Carlo tournament after him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              Nadal has had his ups and downs over the years but on clay he has reigned supreme throughout. It's rare he gets beaten on the stuff, indeed the only players who have really beaten him at his zenith are Novak and Soderling. I doubt Soderling realised the history he was making when he took Rafa down that day.

And it's staggering when you think he has achieved his 10 FO's in an era where everyone is a baseliner.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3200 users online. 6 members and 3194 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X