Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally...my serve video (in quicktime pro format)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally...my serve video (in quicktime pro format)

i just got quicktime pro. however, i'm unable, still to attach the video files. It says that the file is too big (40 MB). Is there a way to compress the file??

Sincerely evan
    Last edited by evikshin; 11-14-2006, 01:47 AM. Reason: video problems

Who knows if there is a compression choice in QT Pro?? Or?? We use Cleaner.

Comment

what is cleaner?
      please let me know what that is about.
      its driving me nuts not being able to upload files.

thanks, Evan

Comment

Quicktime & AVI take up a lot of space. I don't think it is possible to compress any video file without changing to a different format or losing resolution/quality.

Having said that, 40 MB is still quite a bit. You should be able to fit about 90 seconds of 640x480 resolution video in that size. Are you trying to upload more than this? If so, you should use your original video capture/editing software to break it up into smaller pieces before converting to QuickTime.

Comment

No you can easily compress both types of files--and make smaller ones with great res--look at the Stroke Archive. BUT we do that with an expensive program and custom settings. It's called Cleaner Pro.

There must be some compression tool somewhere in some piece of PC software on most computers or??

I know Macs have one built right in.

But yeah one stroke file should be 10megs or less--full size.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
            No you can easily compress both types of files--and make smaller ones with great res--look at the Stroke Archive.
            I don't think the videos in the stroke archive are compressed. I downloaded one, ARFHCenterFront-0240409-0001.mov. It is a 10 second clip and is 5 MB in size. That is 0.5MB per second, which seems to be the standard uncompressed size for QuickTime. I say that because I have a 30 second video from a TW poster that takes up 14MB:
            http://mavericks.cc/tennis/drakulie_serve.mov
            I happen to know that he didn't do anything special to compress the file. He copied the file from his camera. Its quality is excellent as well.

Edit: Apparently this 0.5MB/sec is called a compressed quicktime rate, and the uncompressed Quicktime rate is an incredible 29.6 MB/sec. SO John, you are right that the stroke files are compressed, even though you can do much better with other formats.
            Last edited by maverick1; 11-14-2006, 12:34 PM.

Comment

It's not a question of size. It's a question of visual quality.
              Last edited by johnyandell; 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM.

Comment

evikshin:

Check if you have an ultra large file (30 megabytes for every second) or athe more reasonable size (0.5 megabytes per second). If it is the latter, it is already as compressed as QuickTime can be, and you need to edit and make your videos shorter.

If it is the former, you better check againt if Quicktime Pro has an option to compress the output. If not, you got a really raw deal from Apple.

I know a couple of Video editors that can handle Quicktime and which have free trial versions - TMPGEnc and Adobe Premiere Elements. The trial versions are good enough for your immediate needs. Each costs under $100 if you want to buy; they do a lot more than Quicktime Pro.

BTW, you don't need Quicktime Pro to copy the stroke video files to your computer. I do it with the browser, although it is not as simple as right clicking the video and saving.

Comment

You are mistaken about the file sizes. Most clips are under a meg.
                  You are correct that most videos are less than 1 MB, but they are also shorter. The clip I had downloaded was a long one(10 secs, because it is in slow motion).

The first video under Federer is 2 seconds long and takes up a bit more than 0.5 MB. So the data rate for the regular speed clips is about 0.25 MB/sec.

The resolution of all these clips seems to be 480 x 320, which is exactly half as many pixels as 640 x 480, the resolution of the clip I just posted. That clip takes up twice as much space for every second, which would suggest that the clip is using identical compression techniques to those in your archive.

Comment

It's not a question of size. It's a question of visual quality.
                    Fair enough.

But just to be clear, Visual quality is determined by lighting, quality of the camcorder, and the resolution. Of the three, resolution is the only one that affects file size.

Comment

It looks pretty good. Let me explain something. Just right click and go to properties and you can see the exact size of the files.

The Roddick slo-mo fh you are talking about is 2.36 megs. Your clip from Drakulie on the other hand is 13.4 megs. I have no idea how it was compressed.

You can't exactly equate time and clip size--or box size for that matter--compression is more complex than that. But I don't really have the time or desire to go into it in more detail.

Comment

Thanks Maverick! I will look into possibly having to edit down the movies. I will report back here shortly.......................................

Evikshin

Comment

Okay NOW its working

OKAY

Here goes nothing.

I edited the hell out of it, and converted it to a lower quality AVI format.

Now, critique my serve to your heart's content everybody!!

warmly

Evan
                          Attached Files

Comment

On the jump into the court you are not landing into the court. I have this problem and I land the same distance where I came from.

Comment

The motion looks pretty clean to me.

The reason you are not jumping more into the court is probably because your toss is too close in front. If you toss it further in front, your body should naturally follow the toss.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8038 users online. 3 members and 8035 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X