Barcelona Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcelona Open

Nadal is a 2/5 favorite to win the tournament. Next favorite is Thiem at 15/2. It would be interesting to know if there has ever been a more prohibitive favorite.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    Nadal is a 2/5 favorite to win the tournament. Next favorite is Thiem at 15/2. It would be interesting to know if there has ever been a more prohibitive favorite.
    I doubt it. Nadal is off the scale on clay. There is a yawning gap between him and the second favourite whom he demolished for the loss of a mere two games. A opponent isn't just fighting the man, he's fighting the legend as well.

But you never know, something might give....that's what keeps us all watching, isn't it?
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I doubt it. Nadal is off the scale on clay. There is a yawning gap between him and the second favourite whom he demolished for the loss of a mere two games. A opponent isn't just fighting the man, he's fighting the legend as well.

But you never know, something might give....that's what keeps us all watching, isn't it?
      I am thinking the same. Staggering odds.

Comment

I see Novak took an early tumble again.

I actually think an uninhibited Zverez would have a better chance than Thiem against Nadal. Zverez is tall and has the two-hander that can cope with Rafa's forehand. Were he to open up an go for it, he may have a slight chance.

I couldn't see the young Zverez in the draw, only the older brother, so I assuming he's skipping this one.
        Stotty

Comment

This shows how incredible Roger’s comeback was. Nole does not seem to be able to meke it.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            This shows how incredible Roger’s comeback was. Nole does not seem to be able to meke it.
            Not that incredible, Phil. Roger was fit again after three months and trained for the subsequent three months. Novak and Andy have been out for way longer and unable to play at all. It's interesting how Novak and Andy's sidelining injuries have changed the whole dynamic and pivoted things back to Roger and Rafa.

It's Andy I feel most sorry for. He had just entered what seemed to be the best phase of his career then got struck down with injury.
            Stotty

Comment

Saw Kevin Anderson today in Boca Raton training on the red clay. Working on coming in to the net...on clay...imagine that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                Saw Kevin Anderson today in Boca Raton training on the red clay. Working on coming in to the net...on clay...imagine that.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Good idea. He can't win a clay court event rallying with the Europeans. May as well have a go at coming to the net instead. Good plan!
                Stotty

Comment

Roger is just a better tennis player than Novak and Andy. Novak may well get it together and win another major, who knows, but he is not going to be a week in week out player again I think. Roger, with his unique skill set, can do things no one else can. Nafal on clay, even more so.

Comment

Nishikori pulls up injured again. The kid never seems to get a consistent run in any one season before getting injured. Shame, that kid hits the ball so well, so cleanly.
                    Stotty

Comment

19 year old Tsitsipas plays very good 1st set vs a very good clay courter Carreno Busta. He could be a factor on clay very soon. Reminds me a little of Guga build wise, great for the clay grind. He has a beautiful one hander, reminds me of Gasquet, and real weapon of the forehand. If he can get through to the final vs Nadal, could be interesting. Nadal, as great as he is, is not in his 20's anymore. This match vs Carreno-Busta is a real litmus test for where he is right now.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        19 year old Tsitsipas plays very good 1st set vs a very good clay courter Carreno Busta. He could be a factor on clay very soon. Reminds me a little of Guga build wise, great for the clay grind. He has a beautiful one hander, reminds me of Gasquet, and real weapon of the forehand. If he can get through to the final vs Nadal, could be interesting. Nadal, as great as he is, is not in his 20's anymore. This match vs Carreno-Busta is a real litmus test for where he is right now.
                        Tsitsipas is good. I like the forehand. He can hit all the spots and has good disguise on it too. The backhand is loose and fluid but we will find out just how good it is in the final against Nadal. I have a feeling he will spray too many having to deal with Nadal's forehand.

Something isn't right with his serve but I can't pinpoint what it is. It would be nice to see it in slow motion.

I like the way he moves. He's fluid and can eat up the ground.

He has nothing to lose tomorrow. Unlike Busta, he is an assertive clay courter, which gives him more chance than Busta would have had. I wouldn't bet too much money on a Tsitsipas victory however.

Stotty

Comment

No doubt he is a long shot betting wise, but if I were to bet, which I am not, I would not bet on Nadal and pay the premium to do so

Comment

Rafa wins easily, as expected. He is dominating because all his competitors are not around: Roger opts not to play, Djokovic is not able to make a comeback. Murray is probably out for good, Wawrinka has problems. None of the new generation are good enough yet. He is only competing against his body, hoping it will held out for the rest of the season.

Comment

Rafa wins easily, as expected. He is dominating because all his competitors are not around: Roger opts not to play, Djokovic is not able to make a comeback. Murray is probably out for good, Wawrinka has problems. None of the new generation are good enough yet. He is only competing against his body, hoping it will held out for the rest of the season.
                              I doubt it would make the slightest difference. The greatest player of all time has virtually no record at all against Rafa on clay, nor has Murray or Wawrinka. The only player who has a credible record against Rafa is Novak. In the best of three sets Rafa was always slight favourite over Novak, but Novak could at least win sometimes and make it interesting. But over five sets even Novak can't do it when Rafa is at his best.

I missed the game today. I wondered how the kid's one hander would stand up to the barrage. I might catch some highlights later. The one-hander against Rafa on clay is a lousy match-up. Even Roger's sophisticated weaponry on the wing has come up short every time.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3191 users online. 6 members and 3185 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X