Mutua Madrid Open, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Thiem gave a Nadal a steads dose of high looping forehands to push him deep and blistering forehand bombs when the ball landed short. Nadal was missing more backhands than usual. But this was more a credit to Thiem than Nadal. At 6-5, deuce in the first set, Thiem served and volleyed. I loved it.

Call me crazy, but I feel Nadal will be just fine for Rome and Roland Garros. No concern in the Nadal camp by any means.

On another note, two one-handed backhands in the semis of a clay court event. Thiem and Shapovalov. Not too shabby.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    A lot of us have been touting Thiem as a future FO Champion. It would certainly not be a surprise to see kind of as a new Muster and become the best clay court player in the world for 2 or 3 years. FO could be interesting this year.

Comment

The fact Thiem was hitting the ball an average of 10mph faster on both Fh and Bh average topspin shots aays he was doing much more than rolling the ball high. He was absolutely clubbing it. And he was playing the ball about 2 feet closer to the baseline than he did getting blown out in Monte Carlo.

don

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
        The fact Thiem was hitting the ball an average of 10mph faster on both Fh and Bh average topspin shots aays he was doing much more than rolling the ball high. He was absolutely clubbing it. And he was playing the ball about 2 feet closer to the baseline than he did getting blown out in Monte Carlo.

don
        Wow!

Comment

Well it has turned into a Next Gen tournament now. Who will triumph in Madrid? Thiem must be hot favourite you would think. The match between Shapovalov and Zverez might be interesting.
          Stotty

Comment

A good performance from Zverez over Shapovalov. He knocked Denis all over the park in the second set using better court positioning and ball striking. He soaked Denis up and then battered him when opportunities arose. It's the best I have seen Zverez play for a while. His backhand was extremely good across both sets.

The final could go either way for me.
            Stotty

Comment

Rooting for Thiem in Sunday's final. But Zverev was just superb in his destruction of Shapovalov in semis. Such a good rhythm and playing with the confidence of a future #1.

Speaking of #1, with the Nadal loss, Federer will regain #1 ranking on Monday.
              I too have skipped the european clay court season to prep for grass court season, yet my ranking is not nearly as high.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

It looks like Zverev is going to be making his move on becoming the #1 player in the world sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  It looks like Zverev is going to be making his move on becoming the #1 player in the world sooner rather than later.
                  Sascha is protecting 1000 points this week, but all he needs to do is reach the finals to take over the lead in the Race to London stats and Thiem and Nadal are in the other half. You hear a lot of talk about taking a rest before the French, but he'll have a week no matter what and he didn't play any long matches this week. Also, he is only 21. This was the first time I thought he looked really comfortable in his own skin. He is ready to take the mantle.

don

Comment

Zerev seems like the new Djokovic to me. Being tall, Thiem’s high bouncing topspin did not bother him, he hit back very flat.

Comment

I think he desperately wanted to amend his poor defeat to John Isner in Miami, a match he should have won all day long. He put in a really meek performance in that final. He has certainly amended that with some aplomb. I love his backhand.

But he has yet to go deep into a slam so let's see what happens at the French and SW19.
                      Stotty

Comment

Zverev faced only break point the entire week. Did not lose his serve once. The best form I've ever seen from him. Best three out of five is another story and he has only made the 4th round of a grand slam once.

But he has the game to take #1 no doubt.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3922 users online. 2 members and 3920 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X