Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum June 2018: Hyeon Chung Forehand

Hyeon Chung Forehand

Hyeon Chung's forehand got a lot of attention when he made his run to the Australian semifinal. Powerful and fluid. A straight arm and tremendous extension. A high but still outside backswing. Like a lot of young players he also tilts the racket tip substantially forward -- and David Bailey's Golden Moves on full display. Thoughts please.

Last edited by johnyandell; 05-15-2021, 03:31 PM.

Very compact, simple, super efficient straight arm forehand. When I see him play, he like Fed, always seems to have more time than most on his forehand, never rushed.
    Last edited by stroke; 06-01-2018, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Style-wise I hate it. It's robotic and manufactured looking. The high left arm looks really strange. And the guy is positively geeky.

That said, it's a real humdinger of a forehand and right up there in terms of payload. You wouldn't want to stand in front of it that's for sure.
      Stotty

Comment

Filmed at my home tournament the Delray Beach Open. The technique is interesting as it looks like he tilts the racquet on edge just before coming through the ball on the foreword swing. Probably not conscious as it would be tough to time and think about with each and every different ball being received.

His career is still in the infant stages but his body, much like Nishikori's, does not seem to be well suited for the rigors of life on tour and the physicality needed to make it week in and week out.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

It seems that he does a unit turn with hands low and then lifts the racket up. Others seem to bring both arms up as they do the turn. What is the impact of this if any? His non-dominant hand is really high, like Zverev. All of these things may not be relevant to his big forehand. What is very impressive is contact and extension ... look at where his back shoulder finishes at 2:00. I am having some success showing junior players his extension and Halep.

Comment

I find it interesting how straight his hitting arm is in the backswing. Not much need for elbow extension before the "flip", it's already there.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
              I find it interesting how straight his hitting arm is in the backswing. Not much need for elbow extension before the "flip", it's already there.
              I noticed that also, taking away the elbow extension step pretty much.

Comment

He can really take the ball early. But watching him makes my shoulder hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                  But then, and not until then, he starts a whole little straight-armed loop. How uneconomical can you get!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8094 users online. 0 members and 8094 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X