2018 Mercedes Cup...ATP 250...Stuttgart, Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Mercedes Cup...ATP 250...Stuttgart, Germany

Let's see. Where was I? I was saying something about that it isn't a tennis tournament without Roger Federer. Well he's back...and so am I. Our fates are interconnected somehow. My relationship to this forum somehow is spoken through the actions of Federer. He's back and none too soon. I watched the clay court season. I watched a lot of it. It was good to be muted on this forum for the time being. One degree of separation. I needed that. There were certain things...things that were bothering me. A certain someone. But that is in the past.

A degree of separation. I started talking about degrees of separation when I moved to Sweden some thirteen years ago. It was like starting over. I am starting over once again. One more time.

It's great to be back my fellow tennis player.net NUTS. Tennis nuts. WE love tennis don't we and this is why we are here. Like minded fellows having a bit of fun. A degree of separation from the reality of the day to day drudgery. A built in escape clause. Like minded fellows...for the most part.

Roger starts his comeback once again. Fits and starts. He struggled in his last phase. His performance at Indian Wells and Miami were a mixed bag. He was looking somewhat human. It seems like such a long time ago. I was hoping that he would be playing at the French Open in gay Paris. The tournament needed him and I am afraid he needed the tournament. I hope that he didn't sell himself short of preparation for a run at Wimbledon. He looked rusty at Indian Wells and Miami. He didn't have the edge that I am so used to seeing in him. But Federer knows best what is good for Federer. We shall see.

Life is good. You have to look on the bright side if at all possible. The glass is a combination of full and empty at all times. I am not an optimist nor am I a pessimist. I am a realist. Always searching for the lowest common denominator in the reality of any given situation. In life even. You know what I mean.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

easy search here

Comment

I'll click on this one later. Got to watch the FO men's doubles final before it's over.

Comment

The Draw...Gentlemen Start Your Engines

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        easy search here
        That's right stroke...here we have the LCD. The love of the game. Speaking of the love of the game...here is the draw. It's a beauty too. Roger Federer is the number one seed. It looks to me as if he could play Mischa Zverev in the first match of his comeback. A nice test on the grass with the older Zverev being one of the more accomplished grass court players currently on tour. Accomplished in the sense he will employ the serve and volley technique. Not so accomplished that he is threat for titles. In Federer's next match he could very well be up against Denis "The Menace" Shapovolav...although there is an Aussie in Shapovalov's named John Millman who may have all court lawn tennis in his Aussie genes.

After all of that is said and done Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios is in the bottom of Roger's half and that would be a great match if it should materialize. But don't count on it...or don't bet on it if you are in stroke's world of bookmakers and odds makers. Nick has yet to show any kind of consistency as of late. In fact he has been making a habit of entering tournaments only to withdraw because of injury...or mental illness. Poor Nick...or so you might be led to believe. This guy is wasting opportunities. Truly a deadly sin in life...wasting your talent.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/score...chtype=singles
        don_budge

Comment

You mean, you felt worthless when you weren't writing in this forum? Conversely, why did you come back? Why not just stay away and finish your novel?

Comment

don_budge came back by popular demand...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              don_budge came back by popular demand...
              Boy, I'm glad I don't have to depend on popular demand. But the tennis has been picking up.

Comment

I bet...

Comment

Roger Federer in the House...Mercedes Cup, Stuttgart, Germany

Did I mention the time I was in Stuttgart, Germany. It was 1989 and Michail Gorbatjov was in Berlin overseeing the final detail of the demise of the Berlin Wall. Interesting experience. I don't remember much about Stuttgart but I did know that it was the home of Mercedes Benz. We were driving a BMW...zooming down the Autobahn.

But Roger Federer doesn't need to zoom anywhere these days. He saunters in and just takes control of the place. We have waited for his return and I still feel he should have played the French. He needs matches and it showed in his last foray into the sun. Maybe it was something else in Indian Wells and Miami. He wasn't himself. It seems to me that I remember some talk that he may have had a cold. He was wearing a beard in California. He was irritable. Well...it's in the past. The rear view.

Staring in his sights now is Mischa Zverev. Roger is 5-0 head to head with Mischa and three of those matches were on grass. This is probably as good a first round as he could have. This is going to be interesting. The run-up to Wimbledon. The whole strategy with the dodgy schedule was to time it right for Wimbledon so let's sit back and watch. He is a master at this sort of thing. The draw is going to be somewhat weakened but there are a couple of characters to be reckoned with. But for now it is one point at a time. Staying in the moment means that point just in front of your nose. Don't get ahead of yourself and don't worry about the past. Just focus. Come on Roger. One more time.
                  don_budge

Comment

With Federer-Zverev, we should see some nice serve and volley action. The whole world is excited that Roger is back. But let's keep the eyes on the prize...Wimbledon. Federer will be/should be the favorite and I'd love for him to stay ahead of Rafa by 4 grand slams. A victory at Wimbledon would give Fed 21.
                    Stuttgart is nice. Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen is also home to Porsche. Phil and I know about those all too well. It's an addiction. The growl of a Porsche. A high revving naturally aspirated engine that sings to redline is the only kind of engine that belongs in a sports car.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Last edited by klacr; 06-12-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                      With Federer-Zverev, we should see some nice serve and volley action. The whole world is excited that Roger is back. But let's keep the eyes on the prize...Wimbledon. Federer will be/should be the favorite and I'd love for him to stay ahead of Rafa by 4 grand slams. A victory at Wimbledon would give Fed 21.
                      Stuttgart is nice. Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen is also home to Porsche. Phil and I know about those all too well. It's an addiction. The growl of a Porsche. A high revving naturally aspirated engine that sings to redline is the only kind of engine that belongs in a sports car.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      Beautiful rendition of the serve and volley game from Mscha Zverev against an obviously rusty Roger Federer. It will be interesting to see how Federer reacts to being viscerally dissected in front of the Stuttgart crowd...6-3.

The wife is looking at the Porsche Cayenne on the internet.

Wow...Zverev just laced a backhand return up the line and in the corner to go up 15.30 on Roger's first service game in the second set. You know it's too bad that the kid brother doesn't have a bit more of the Big Brother's game in his repertoire. Wow...there's another backhand ripped for a break point. Roger sprays a forehand. for another break point and then misses the first serve. He save he game with a nice approach and volley. It isn't going to be easy this time. Roger needs a lot of match play.
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Beautiful rendition of the serve and volley game from Mscha Zverev against an obviously rusty Roger Federer. It will be interesting to see how Federer reacts to being viscerally dissected in front of the Stuttgart crowd...6-3.

The wife is looking at the Porsche Cayenne on the internet.

Wow...Zverev just laced a backhand return up the line and in the corner to go up 15.30 on Roger's first service game in the second set. You know it's too bad that the kid brother doesn't have a bit more of the Big Brother's game in his repertoire. Wow...there's another backhand ripped for a break point. Roger sprays a forehand. for another break point and then misses the first serve. He save he game with a nice approach and volley. It isn't going to be easy this time. Roger needs a lot of match play.
                        Pretty darned good second set for a first tournament of the season on grass. Federer broke first then Zverev broke right back. Federer then broke again for the set. The play has been a bit spotty but that is to be expected on this venue. It will be interesting now to see if Federer can seal the deal. This is one of the really interesting psychological aspects of match play. Getting the horse in the barn. Nerves tend to get a bit tight at this point and it is no time to get cute. You have to hammer the point home. Drive the stake in the heart. You can't get squeamish.
                        don_budge

Comment

Really interesting here to put this match in perspective. This is all about Roger finding the form that will enable him to compete for the title at Wimbledon. In a sense this match is quite meaningless but Roger knows in his heart he cannot afford to treat it as such. He has to start playing as if it is the finals of Wimbledon so he can prepare himself for that feeling. Preparation...preparation...preparation.

Here we go...a lob over Zverev's head. He chases it down and handles it properly...classically speaking. But to no avail. He got a lob up that forced Federer to bounce. Federer smashed, Zverev returned and Federer volleyed deftly and short. No play. On the very next point Federer hit another excellent lob that Zverev dumped in the net. Two points later it is a break for Federer. Game on.
                          don_budge

Comment

Roger's back...and I am Loving It!!!

It was a really good match. A perfect start against a perfect opponent. Mischa never allowed Federer to get a good rhythm. He was jerking in fits and starts. The serve and volley pressure was adequate and it forced the Swiss Maestro to be decisive. To be clear. He found what he needed in the end. It may not have been what he wanted. But as you know...you can't always get what you want.

Guess what song President Donald J. Trump chose for his acceptance when he won the Presidency of the United States of America. You can't always get what you want...but if you try some time...you just might find...you can get what you need.

don_budge

Comment

Federer-Zverev was entertaining. Amazing how some forecourt prowess can make tennis entertaining again.

Expected some rust from Federer. Tough first match to play against Zverev, a player who will not engage in too many long rallies nor give you any rhythm, and he's a left. Federer got by. Another win under his belt and another day in Stuttgart.

Your wife would enjoy the Cayenne. Great car. Practicality of a SUV with the performance and engagement of a Porsche. The Swedish tax might be costly though.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3218 users online. 2 members and 3216 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X