Blending the Physical with the Mental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending the Physical with the Mental

Both the physical(biomechanics of stroke technique) and the mental( sports psychology) components of tennis are subject to “paralysis by analysis”. Blending the two is a challenge. Scott Ford has, in my opinion, developed a simple to implement, but very difficult to maintain, visualization technique that may serve as a “bridge”.

https://www.scottaford.com/welcome to the zone

Here is my “quick look” summary of implementing the technique:

1.At arms length, create an imaginary window in your field of view.
    2.Prefocus on the window and then focus on point 3 of window prior to ball contact.
    3.Watching the incoming and outgoing ball is a secondary focus. The primary focus is ball contact at window(Federer?).
    4.Gain an awareness of when you “flash out”.

Listed below are the benefits of Ford’s visual parallel processing concept as I perceive them:

A.Better ball contact, which improves performance and builds confidence.
    B.Visualizing a flat contact at point 3 plays to the racket’s face angle stability. This reduces shot placement anxiety.
    C.Improves reaction time.
    D.Parallel vision processing creates an “in the present” or “in the zone” mode of detachment which reduces mental distractions: score anxiety,
    stroke technique anxiety, strategy anxiety
    E.Environmental distractions are reduced: other people, noise,wind, sun, etc.
    F.Reduces mental fatigue, which often translates into physical fatigue.

This “bridge” attempt was sucessfully used with one 5.0.senior player so far. Comments??

Unable to access page...

Comment

Try this:

Website of Scott A. Ford, USPTA Elite Professional. Site is about the intentional co-creation of flow in sports.

Comment

doctorhl,
        I plan to do some articles with Scott eventually. But thoughts on paralysis. The work on Tennisplayer I have done is based on the premise that words and internal mental dialogue don't work on the tennis court in actual play. Top players and all good players I believe process info and make decisions of intent at the sub verbal level of image and feeling. The fundamentals of the mental game as elucidated in the pioneering work of Jim Loehr are based on similar assumptions. The use of rituals, breathing patterns, etc. In my opinion playing the game can become a matter of imagining, visualizing and feeling with minimal self talk in words. A form of ritual or even physical meditation. Yes words are necessary for explanation and in the learning process but to be successful all that info needs to be transformed to the sub verbal level.

Comment

See the ball. Hit the ball.

Comment

John: Thanks for the feedback. Maybe this ability to sublimate self-talk supports the old adage”: “great players have difficulty becoming great coaches and great coaches have difficulty becoming great players”.

Comment

Yes I think so.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2877 users online. 4 members and 2873 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X