Observing the Old Meeting the New in the 50’s Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observing the Old Meeting the New in the 50’s Division

Assuming: 1.Bjorn Borg was the worldwide model for the modern groundstroke(major change in grip and stroke path enabled by change in racket technology) 2. That youngsters around 15 started to build looping strokes in emulating Borg at his peak in 1980

Therefore: those players who continued to compete as seniors are now reaching the 50’s division in ITF. As the 50 & under generation of the modern stroke meets the 50 & over generation, it is interesting to note that the “older” strokes seem to maintain some of their effectiveness in match play as player movement and strength decreases. The backhand driving slice (ala Ken Rosewall and most effectively used by Federer for the pros) in concert with the “cut dropshot” comes to mind as an example of an old school stroke combo that regains usefulness in Senior play.

Does an understanding of this shift have any value for upcoming 30,s and 40’s ITF seniors and their coaches? Is there any value for current juniors or their coaches? Or, is the game just destined to continue to evolve as a power game with a subsequent disappearance of the control (finesse) game?

The pro at my club TC Lido, Franco, tells all players over 50 to get inspiration watching Youtube videos of Ken Rosewall, Pancho Gonzales era, and try to copy them instead of today’s players with fast swngs and whippy follow throughs.

Comment

A player cannot be a complete player without fully mastering the continental grip, which means they must be fully comfortable and at home with the grip. Modern players with extreme grips and only partial mastery of the continental grip can only ever be one dimensional. That is the cut-de-sac the modern player is in.

Modern tactics are mostly just patterns of play. Players change patterns to counter different strengths and weaknesses of opponents. Slicing, changing pace and trips to the net are not tactical options for the modern player because they simply aren't familiar enough or skilled enough with the continental grip. It really is that simple.

I now make all my junior players master the continental grip...and at no expense to their semi-western set up. Yes, trust me, a players can master both equally well. The difference is amazing. They can all volley and they all have fluent sliced backhands.

Continental is the way to go to build complete players with maximum tactical options.
      Last edited by stotty; 07-01-2018, 02:34 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Support at last! I couldn’t agree more Stotty. I can now remove peer-assigned badge which says: “old and in the way”!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4015 users online. 4 members and 4011 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X