Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Movies...viewed on 40" smart TV via HDMI cable from iMac.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Movies...viewed on 40" smart TV via HDMI cable from iMac.

Pat and Mike (1952)

Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn not to mention the great Don Budge, Frank Parker, Gussie Moran, Alice Marble and Babe Didrikson Zaharias making cameo appearances. Future tough guy Charles Bronson and future "Rifleman" star Chuck Connors. Unbelievable movie from 1952. Hepburn is a potential two sport superstar (golf and tennis) and Spencer Tracey is right there to capitalize on her talent...not to mention the spark of love.

I sent this movie out via email to a number of my friends here on the forum when I was MIA. They don't make 'em like they used to. Right about this time it was Richard Gonzalez on top of the tennis world. They broke the mold.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Katharine.

Comment

Well, when I made that mistake in The Middletown Press, I got to hear about it so I don't know why you shouldn't. I didn't even want to write the article. The newspaper insisted. I had a boss! I submitted.

Although I didn't make the mistake, the special assignment editor for the Summer Supplement did. He didn't like me (I'll bet you can't imagine that) and knew that changing that "a" to an "e" was a sure way to discredit me. Anyway, Kate didn't like the article, which was about Fenwick, Old Saybrook, Connecticut, in fact detested it. And worried that I might write something else about the Hepburns, it was reliably reported back to me. I do remember a main feature in the article was that if you hit a golf ball up on the roof of the house of Clayton Gengras, who was running for governor of Connecticut that year, it would roll around for 10 minutes before it jetted out of a pipe in the sea wall under his mansion into South Cove (splash).
      Last edited by bottle; 07-01-2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Okay, okay. "Kotherine."
        Last edited by bottle; 07-01-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Crazy interpretation of everything by you as always. Well, not of everything. But excuse me, now. I'm going to press my ignore button. Before I do, though, I must say, "Possessive its never splits." And Katharine in Katharine Hepburn is spelled with two a's. You and I are not the only persons ever to have been told that. If you want to be a writer (me, too), you need to try and spell things correctly. And yes, of course you should have been an English professor but as Maxwell Perkins, the great editor pointed out, that's not the same thing as being a writer at all.

Just so you know, I like the word "prehabilitation." We need words for our thoughts! Pete Sampras may have remained pre-verbal on purpose but some of the team of coaches hired to teach him his stuff must have known a few words. At some level, thinking does happen in tennis and every time. And the vocabulary for tennis-- in English-- could be overly sparse. Is it better in other languages? Ask your Swedish friends? I don't know. I'm serious. German must be good for tennis just because of the nature of that language and those minds. Very precise.

I thought about not responding to your "e" instead of "a." It wasn't really animus against you that made me do it. But I still do think that special assignment editor I was telling you about was a jerk. And don't think I should let that go. It could be that people let too much go past as if it never happened. Well, they go along to get along, keep their jobs, have plenty of loot, don't rock the boat-- call them the living dead.

So how about it? If some word doesn't exist for a thought, does the thought really exist? The English teacher next door doesn't think so. She thinks that vocabulary and thought are inextricable. And when kids don't know enough words they can't think and they don't.
          Last edited by bottle; 07-01-2018, 10:54 AM.

Comment

The Naked Street (1955)

Anthony Quinn, Anne Bancroft and Peter Graves. Watching this I realized were Al Pacino got his cues from for his role as Tony Montano in Scarface. Brian Depalma basically did a bit of a remake of "The Naked Street". Anthony Quinn and Richard Gonzalez have the same type of voice. Sort of low and growling. Awesome stuff.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              The Naked Street (1955)

Anthony Quinn, Anne Bancroft and Peter Graves. Watching this I realized were Al Pacino got his cues from for his role as Tony Montano in Scarface. Brian Depalma basically did a bit of a remake of "The Naked Street". Anthony Quinn and Richard Gonzalez have the same type of voice. Sort of low and growling. Awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdbHPuca_Y
              Wow. Thanks for the Sunday night movie.

Comment

A Rage to Live (1965)

Suzanne Pleshette, Bradford Dillman, Peter Graves and Ben Gazzara

Wise wretch! With Pleasures to refin'd to please;
                With too much Spirit to be e'er at ease...
                You purchase Pain with all that Joy can give,
                And die of nothing but a Rage to live.
                don_budge

Comment

Framed (1947)

Glenn Ford and Janice Carter. What a babelicious. Femme fatale. Exquisite movie. Guess what. Movies were better back then. So was the tennis. Black and white. No special effects. Glenn Ford knocks out a woman's husband who was getting in his way. He says..."sorry".

Check out Edgar Buchanen's career. It seems he was everywhere.

don_budge

Comment

I'm completely bribed by this seemingly limitless free trove of old bad black and white films. If I ever criticize don_budge for anything, it will be unintended and inadvertent. Who ever knew that Truffaut saw "Cosmic Man," 1959 starring John Carradine as the cosmic man before making "Close Encounters of the Third Kind?"
                    Last edited by bottle; 07-14-2018, 01:28 PM.

Comment

A House is Not a Home (1964)

The house in this case is a den of ill repute. Starring Shelley Winters as the Madam of the house...she falls into the trap of a prostitution ring of her own making. Women playing a role in their own demise. Their own responsibility. Oh, I know. Blame it all on the system. Women are innocent. Well monkeys are going to fly out of your butt any second now.

It's 1964 and there are some serious musings about values and society going on in the plot of this story. Not a particularly great movie but interesting nonetheless. You watch a movie like this and you ponder the question...of the evolution of man. Speed forward to 2018...it's the year of "MeeToo!!!". Boys and girls...it's the same old story about what makes the world go around and around and around.

That doesn't make the men Boy Scouts either. You catch a glimpse of "The Swamp" in "A House is Not a Home". Politicians. Cops. I'm sort of surprised they didn't write in the FBI as well.

You know the story of Adam and Eve. How the women was tempted by the serpent to take a bite out of the apple. Well look where that bite takes us. We are here. The Battle of the Sexes may just be coming to a close. No clear cut winner by the way. Just a big time loser. The traditional nuclear family. Yawn. Who cares? Just more window dressing.

Speaking of apples and bites. How about that icon for Apple computers? What does that represent? The tree of knowledge? These are only questions. There aren't any clear cut answers as obfuscation of the truth is the modern paradigm. Take a look...or not.
                      don_budge

Comment

Sherlock Holmes In Washington (1943)

Hmmm...1943. Wasn't WWII in process then? Imagine Sherlock Holmes in Washington. What would he do if he was there today? Don't answer...I'm just musing. To myself. Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce as the Dynamic Duo. Before Batman and Robin. An old black and white. Just a script, great story line, great acting. No special effects. No cell phones or computers. Lots and lots of cigarettes.

DW: It will be nice to get home to Bakersfield...eh Holmes?

SH: Yes...but this is a great country Watson.

DW: It certainly is my dear fellow.

SH: Look. Up there ahead. The capital...the very heart of this democracy.

DW: Democracy...the only hope for the future, eh Holmes?

SH: It's not given to us to peer into the mysteries of the future. But in the days to come, the British and American people will for their own safety and for the good of all, walk together in majesty and justice and in peace.

DW: That's magnificent. I quite agree with you.

SH: Not with me. Mr. Winston Churchill. I was quoting from the speech he gave not so long ago. In that very building.
                        don_budge

Comment

Have to admit I watch mostly old John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart movies on Youtube...

Comment

Sin Takes a Holiday (1940)

Basil Rathbone again. A love story this time. Interesting how love could "seem" so innocent. When in all reality we know it isn't? But why beat the dead horse? Because we can. Personally I would never beat any horse. I have a place in my heart for them. Love...an old fashioned idea.

A charming little story.
                            don_budge

Comment

Algiers (1938)

Charles Boyer as Pepe le Moko and Hedy Lamarr as Gaby. Eighty years ago. A moment in time. Pepe escapes but it wasn't the ending he envisioned. Life's like that. C'est la vie as they say in "Gay Paris". He envisioned a life of love with Gaby in Paris but he gets a bullet in the back instead.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7731 users online. 6 members and 7725 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X