A Few Matches I Lost and How

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Matches I Lost and How

Would love to get your thoughts on my latest article, "A Few Matches I Lost and How!"

I have encountered all these players and responded similarly. I recognize the “smirk”, particularly the defensive pusher on clay that you know will only “hook” you on critical points. The ability to tame those inner demons seems to be a major factor in junior play and some, even at the pro level, still seem to have difficulty taming the beast. Matching expectations with accurate self assessment or parental assessment of ability seems to be on the decline in many circles.

Comment

Well, it's a one on one street fight. Especially ntrp and league matches without supervision...not for every kid no matter how pretty his forehand...

Comment

I played against a convicted diamond thief in the town/city championship of Front Royal, Virginia. My wife (ex) won the open women's division but I did not fare well. Although I had beaten the lad indoors, there was no supervision now, and he brought along four gang members to heckle me. I don't react well to heckling in case you didn't notice.
        Last edited by bottle; 07-21-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

great article!
          i've come a long way from breaking over $2k in racquets over my lifetime (haven't broken one in 15y+ though!)...
          i'm pretty good at staying in the moment, and letting things go... even blatant line calls...
          my problem is when it comes time to say something (say after the 3rd "bad" call), to let them know i don't approve... (arguably i should say something like "are you sure?" even after the first one, but i'm trying to stay in the moment).
          so as soon as i say something, it kinda releases the flood gates for me to get angry :P

so my current challenge is finding the balance of firmly lettting my opponent know i don't agree and will take action, as well also maintaining my composure.

kinda feels like i'm on a diet... and i'm doing great... then i allow myself 1 oreo cookie... 15 min later i've scarfed the entire double stuffed, triple sleeved bag... WTF just happened!

Comment

Yep it's a hard balance. Assertive if need be but not upset...

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post
              so my current challenge is finding the balance of firmly lettting my opponent know i don't agree and will take action, as well also maintaining my composure.

kinda feels like i'm on a diet... and i'm doing great... then i allow myself 1 oreo cookie... 15 min later i've scarfed the entire double stuffed, triple sleeved bag... WTF just happened!
              The key to life is to find the balance. It's amazing how tennis metaphors life and the struggle metaphors the struggle. Even your user_name indicates addictive or compulsive behaviour. Sometimes I feel that the tennis court can be very therapeutic but it also can be a great enabler. It's a question of balance, no question about it.

A Question of Balance...The Moody Blues

It used to be that all you had to do was get the latest rock album and all of your questions were answered. Nowadays it is at your fingertips...just google it. Ah, but the simplest thing becomes the most difficult. Winning and losing tennis matches? Why? It's complicated as your tactics are limited by your technique. Flaws in technique are exploitable. Lack of tactics is a mindless activity. Consult Bill Tilden...or "The Moody Blues" for that matter...and complete your education of fundamentals before progressing without rhyme or reason.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The key to life is to find the balance. It's amazing how tennis metaphors life and the struggle metaphors the struggle. Even your user_name indicates addictive or compulsive behaviour. Sometimes I feel that the tennis court can be very therapeutic but it also can be a great enabler. It's a question of balance, no question about it.

A Question of Balance...The Moody Blues

It used to be that all you had to do was get the latest rock album and all of your questions were answered. Nowadays it is at your fingertips...just google it. Ah, but the simplest thing becomes the most difficult. Winning and losing tennis matches? Why? It's complicated as your tactics are limited by your technique. Flaws in technique are exploitable. Lack of tactics is a mindless activity. Consult Bill Tilden...or "The Moody Blues" for that matter...and complete your education of fundamentals before progressing without rhyme or reason.
                oh yeah, I definitely play tennis to satisfy my ocd!

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Consult Bill Tilden...or "The Moody Blues" for that matter...and complete your education...
                  Or even "Go Ask Alice"...

when she's ten feet tall.

don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7640 users online. 6 members and 7634 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X