Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forehand: A Spring Event

Jeff,
    About your observation that modern strokes are being built primarily around a spring event: have you noticed that pro string tensions have decreased as the years pass? The top two players of the last era, Sampras and Agassi strung in the high 60s and mid 70s--Sampras at 75 lbs. and Agassi at 67 lbs. This era's top two players string their racquets at much lower tensions--Federer at 48 lbs. and Nadal at 52 lbs. What do you think? Does this add more evidence that players are more aware of tennis as being a game built around utilizing the spring event? I think so.

Originally posted by lukman41985
    Jeff,
    About your observation that modern strokes are being built primarily around a spring event: have you noticed that pro string tensions have decreased as the years pass? The top two players of the last era, Sampras and Agassi strung in the high 60s and mid 70s--Sampras at 75 lbs. and Agassi at 67 lbs. This era's top two players string their racquets at much lower tensions--Federer at 48 lbs. and Nadal at 52 lbs. What do you think? Does this add more evidence that players are more aware of tennis as being a game built around utilizing the spring event? I think so.
    That is a great observation! I had no idea Federer and Nadal strung their rackets so low. Wow. That does support the idea of increased spring off the racket!

Comment

String Tension - how much does it matter?

Luk - I talked with a stringer last year at Indian Wells and he gave me different tensions than the ones you've stated - at least for Federer. He did tell me that Fed and Tursunov were the only players using Luxilon crosses and gut mains. From what I've observed in photos he is correct - so he has some credence.

I've taken the following verbatim from Technical Tennis, by Howard Brody, Rod Cross and Crawford Lindsey:

Virtually every player assumes that he can tell the difference between different tensions .... In a test of 41 advanced recreational players, only 11 (27 percent) could determine a difference of 11 pounds or less. In fact, 15 (37 percent) couldn't correctly identify the difference even when the tension between the two racquets varied by 22 pounds. A small number were able to discern a two pound difference, however. Players were not allowed to touch the strings or vibrate them to guess tension and each racquet had a vibration dampener to take away auditory cues.

The article goes on to say that players were only allowed 4 hits and that success rates were even lower when earplugs were used.

I quote again:

The difficulty in deciphering the difference in tensions is because the ball speed and spin off of the strings does not depend very much on the string tension. the speed and spin off the strings depends almost totally on how fast you swing the racquet. A ten pound change in tension accounts for only one or two percent of the ball speed.

What does change with tension is the trajectory - and lower tensions produces shots with higher trajectory. (I'm There is more about this in the Physics and Technology of Tennis by the same authors.

I've also read (maybe on this website - don't remember) that luxilon moves less laterally and produces more spin - at least that is the theory. The USRSA had something in Stringer's Digest (and I am proud to say that I almost NEVER string a racquet and it is a good thing) in 2002 saying that differences in power and control at different tensions were smaller than they had previously believed.

Two things are apparently happening: The strings act differently (pocketing more or less) and the ball acts differently (flattening out less or more) depending on string type and tension but power and spin levels are similar. Players are apparently good at adjusting to the equipment and how it responds. There are implications for developing players (especially younger ones) and others who have had wrist, shoulder, elbow problems. Apparently there is a lot left to figure out, which should keep the sick dog physics majors busy - at least for awhile.

Interesting stuff, NO?

Dave

Comment

Dave, thanks for the information. So even if power and spin are the same, tension is definitely important because of trajectory according to the author.

So if you have a too loose tension, the trajectory is too high, and you miss long.

If you have too tight tension, the trajector is too low, and you miss short.

I guess that's the general rule?

Comment

trajectory

trajectory is where I notice the difference, especially hitting a heavy topspin ball. I came to this from the camp of believing that 2-4 lbs of tension couldn't be that big of deal, but found out when hitting against someone with a powerful, heavy ball, that tension made a very big difference for me. I don't have any control numbers on tensions; and this could also be due to older vs newer string.

Actually it may be more spin than trajectory. My experience was that the older, looser string would not get the spin that my newer tighter string would. Shots that felt like they were on the right plane of travel, did not have the spin to bring them down. Just like the old term trapoline. Maybe it is because the older string moves around so much?
          any thoughts?

Comment

tension

again - what you think may be happening may not be what exactly is happening. Lukman - you are correct about tension and trajectory. Airforce - what may be happening is you are slowing your swing down without being aware of it, and if you slow your swing down returning topspin the ball will really tend to take off on you. I think most players can adjust to 10% tension differences in a few days if they want to. I've got to learn more about this - I still believe that kevlar is the #1 choice for orthopedic surgeons everywhere - good for business!

Comment

Speaking of Kevlar--I really like Prince ProBlend--that hybrid of Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex and Kevlar. It's exceptional in the areas of crispness, tension maintenance, and durability.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2364 users online. 6 members and 2358 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X