Contast todays final with 1930 Wimbledon final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contast todays final with 1930 Wimbledon final

Last edited by gzhpcu; 07-15-2018, 09:25 AM.

1930....now 88 years ago. I doubt there is a living witness to that final still around. I wonder what tennis will look like 88 years from now or even if there will be a world left by then.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      1930....now 88 years ago. I doubt there is a living witness to that final still around. I wonder what tennis will look like 88 years from now or even if there will be a world left by then.
      When you look at U. S. Open when it was broadcast in 1984 on CBS the commercials were mostly about computers. Those computers were like "dinosaurs" compared to the mobile phone that you or I carry in our pocket. My iPhone is probably six years old. I believe it is a 4s. People laugh at my phone. I think it is amazing.

But since 1984 there has been more "change" in the world and in tennis for that matter, than there ever has in the 34 year span since. If you can imagine how much change there will be in the next 34 years you will be doing just fantastic. 88 years will seem like a light year.

As Winston Churchill said some 75 years ago..."It's not given to us to peer into the mysteries of the future."

Most have a great deal of difficulty understanding the past or what has already happened.
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I traced my family tree back to the early 1400's. It's amazing how long time stood still, more or less, from the 1400's until, say, 1850. Life for the average person changed surprisingly little over that period going by the family records I have. Much of that time was a life without medicine for a start, and technical innovations were few and far between. It's since the second world war that everything has gone berserk and forward at warp speed. One wonders where it will end and if they will come up with a get-younger tablet before my number is up.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
          I traced my family tree back to the early 1400's. It's amazing how long time stood still, more or less, from the 1400's until, say, 1850. Life for the average person changed surprisingly little over that period going by the family records I have. Much of that time was a life without medicine for a start, and technical innovations were few and far between. It's since the second world war that everything has gone berserk and forward at warp speed. One wonders where it will end and if they will come up with a get-younger tablet before my number is up.
          I have time standing still here. As nearly as possible. Based on as little contact with the outside world as possible. Save for the excursions on tennisplayer.net.
          don_budge

Comment

Wholw match, 70 minutes. No sitting down on changeover, certainly no endless bounding before serving. Djokovic bounces over 20 times...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Wholw match, 70 minutes. No sitting down on changeover, certainly no endless bounding before serving. Djokovic bounces over 20 times...
              No energy snacks. No potty breaks. No trainer time-outs. No towering off over every single freaking point. But todays game is so much more physical...not. It is by definition a charade. But let's not beat a dead horse. And don't tell my horses I said that.
              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7737 users online. 2 members and 7735 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X