Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Challenge Zone

Let's discuss Ray Reppert's article, "The Challenge Zone"

"No Man's Land" as it called by many. Teaching doubles teams down here in Florida this is a location that player's often find themselves in more often than they care to admit. What is interesting is that for as much time as club players spend in No Man's Land you'd think they would be open to the idea of practicing from there. But they usually resist. I do these drills often that Ray shows. They are invaluable in teaching students to manage shots from an odd location. The saying "Be comfortable feeling uncomfortable" describes it perfectly. Until a teleportation device is invented, all tennis players must go through this challenge zone if they are approaching the net coming from the baseline, you will have to hit this transitional shot more times than you think. How you handle it will be the difference between a positive net going experience and a negative one.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Thanks for the comments. A hard hitting ladies team, formerly college players were soundly beaten by a senior team that chipped, lobbed and neutralized their shots by taking them out of the air from the challenge zone. The comments were, we hate tea

Comment

We hate playing teams that don’t play normal, and we shouldn’t have to resort to that type of game! After a couple defeats they revised their ideas of good tennis and practiced adjusted positions and strategies.

Comment

Right on! No man's land is a state of mind and not a spot on the court. You can be in no man's land any where on the court. "It was the courts fault I missed my shot". This is essential what a player is saying when they miss a shot from the challenge zone. For multiple reasons overtime our ability to move forward, backwards and jump diminishes. Heck, it doesn't have to be a good lob to beat you at the net. A grob or high arcing groundstroke will get the job done. Therfore it is essential to adapt and develop the skills from the challenge zone to remain competitive. Many club players are taught to close in tightly to to the net to a fault. They don't have the strong approach shots that pave the way or that set their partner up for this style of attacking play. This aggressive coward approach results in quick losses. Consistency and Accuracy with a little mobility will usually get the job done.

Carl Poske USPTA
          Ponte Vedra Beach

Comment

Yes, it's spot on. Veterans or athletically challenged players need to break the no man's land taboo. It's actually essential. It's comical when players naturally start to break the taboo as they get older but then get it coached out of them again by coaches who insist they should play 'correct' court positioning. I've seen this a lot.

The article is great and valid. My advice is for veterans to also invest in a WEED racket. They are great for volleys and half-volleys. My father used one in his latter playing days and loved it.
            Stotty

Comment

Actually playing from the challenge zone allows players to defend better and if they are able to counter with a well placed return-they or their partner can go offensive. You should rarely feel out of position or out of the play.

Comment

I initially skipped this article because it was about doubles. But upon reading it I had an epiphany.

Almost no juniors practice from this zone. They simply finish volleys or stay back at the baseline.

They are told to move back to receive the ball.

This leaves them vulnerable to anyone who pulls them into this zone.

Federer built a career out of doing this to everyone.

I just watched Tsitsipas drag Zverev in and pass him at will.

From Tennis.com (copy and pasted):

"Tsitsipas was most effective when he putting pressure on Zverev by getting to the net, as well as adding variety to his game with angles and drop shots. It's tough to outplay Zverev from the baseline, where the Washington champion does a great job of controlling the point."
                Last edited by arturohernandez; 08-11-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7648 users online. 3 members and 7645 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X