No announcement yet.

2018 Western and Southern Open...ATP 500...Cincinnati, Ohio USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's more interesting with Djokovic back in form and a threat. Hope Roger can win 1 more major but his window is closing, between age and his match toughness with a limited schedule. With youngster's like Sasha and Tsisipas growing, the next year and a half should be interesting. Dreading tennis w/o Roger.

Comment

Federer hasn't played as well since Wimbledon last year. I get the sense that he is trying to find the right balance between freshness and match play. Just not sure how he is feeling physically. Is he saving himself and trying to peak at the majors? Or is he more fragile than before? Or are his reflexes finally slowing down? I am sure that his team is trying its best to get the right rest/recovery cycle. But he is 37 and I am not sure he will reach the same peaks he did in the past.

Then again he has been here before and surprised us more than once.

Comment

At that level, Roger may not be able to keep up anymore. At the highest level he has dipped slightly. Novak hardly missed a beat save for a wobble at the start of the first set. No tantrums, no silly drop shots, no decision errors, just rock solid baseline tennis. His length was superb and negated much of Roger's arsenal. His serving, both first and second, was top notch.

I am convinced Roger has gone past his best. He really wanted it but his game collapsed in the end under the relentless strain. Novak is just younger and it really showed towards the end.
        Last edited by stotty; 08-20-2018, 03:46 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

Novak had a completely different mindset than his previous match vs Cilic. It was good to see him at his best, mentally and his tennis. Zverev needs to use that Novak performance as a template for where he needs to be. No histrionics, just rock solid tennis.

Comment

Djokovic at his best is a sight to behold. Defense is flawless, offense is impressive, his tactical acumen is spot on. No one does it better. Sure, people may have a deep passion and admiration for Federer and Nadal for their style and ability but everyone should respect Djokovic for the way he has managed to carve out an impressive career with winning records over both Nadal and Federer and the first man to win all 9 masters 1000 tournaments. He may be boring for some, robotic for others but ultimately its all about the W's. And he gets them.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

It is totally passionless tennis. Give me Agassi - Rafter, McEnroe - Connors, Borg - McEnroe, Nadal -Federer any day. Djokovic versus anybody is boring.

Comment

He is robotic. I have seen him twice in person and Djokovic is like a machine. There is really only one person who can put him on the back foot.

Wawrinka would simply push Djokovic back and back and back until he was either in the stands or would just miss. He is the only current player that is able to consistently beat Djokovic.

I feel like Sampras on a fast court would also just put relentless pressure on him.

Federer would need to play like that to have a chance but he is not the volleyer Sampras was and doesn't have the heaviness of shot Wawrinka has.

Nadal hits with spin but cannot push Djokovic back in the same way.

Even with new strings and everything, Sampras would be all over these backcourters.

He would not win all the time but they would HATE to play him and the anger and fear would make things at least even.

I still feel that Federer is trying to peak at the majors. He could take four months off after the US Open and not miss a beat.

My sense is that you will see him try and raise his level as high as possible for the US Open.

He hasn't won that one in a long time.

Here is hoping...

Comment

Novak has an overwhelming head to head vs Stan, but Stan at his absolute best can beat him. I cannot see Sampras fairing much better head to head vs Novak. Sampras relied so much on his serve, but Novak is the best returner I have ever seen. It is a big part of the relentless pressure in playing him. Sampras no doubt had a great career, but I would say at this point Novak has surpassed it.

Comment

Agassi was as good as Novak in his day at returning. He didn't have the mobility but was built more like Stan.

And Sampras played when there were truly four different surfaces and playing styles.

I really think his fourteen is equivalent to Federer's and Laver's.

Even Roger knows there has been inflation due to strings, rackets, surfaces and improvements in training and health.

It's a thought experiment that will never happen.

Today though it looks like Novak may rise to dominate once again.

The US open will be very interesting...

Comment

Novak is favorite right now, followed by Nadal, Fed, Zverev, and Dei Po

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        Novak has an overwhelming head to head vs Stan, but Stan at his absolute best can beat him. I cannot see Sampras fairing much better head to head vs Novak. Sampras relied so much on his serve, but Novak is the best returner I have ever seen. It is a big part of the relentless pressure in playing him. Sampras no doubt had a great career, but I would say at this point Novak has surpassed it.
                        In yesterdays form Rafa and Roger don't beat Novak, certainly not on a hard court, or even any court. Of the three, he has emerged the most dominant and perhaps even the best of the three. The big hitters (Wawrinka, Del Potro), on their best day, if they get it right, actually have more chance of beating Novak than Rafa or Roger do. Novak is just so technically good from the back and moves better than anyone else, certainly laterally.

It's tough to bring Sampras into the equation. It was a different game then. But you are probably right, Novak would probably pluck a few more serves back than anyone else could. The problem is the equipment has changed so much (especially strings) since then that comparison has become nye on impossible.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          Novak is favorite right now, followed by Nadal, Fed, Zverev, and Dei Po
                          I think Roger may have tipped passed his best. I don't see him winning another slam.
                          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I think Roger may have tipped passed his best. I don't see him winning another slam.
                            I have heard that before...

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

If I were going to bet, which I would not, I would not pay the premium to bet on Novak, or even Rafa, certainly not 37 year old Fed. I would go with Zverev. I did not bet on the Cincy final. I picked Fed.
                              Last edited by stroke; 08-20-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I am not high on Zverev. He just seems like is perfectly built to ascend near the top of tennis but not quite to the very top.

I still think that the majority of slams are reserved for players within 6'1-6'3.

Below that and they are just not strong or tall enough and if they are mobility becomes an issue.

Above that they are big and strong but mobility is a BIG issue.

They are not able to physically get into the net and finish the point.

As soon as it becomes about playing inside the court they falter.

Big groundstrokes can only take someone so far even today.

If we look at the heights of GS champions the past 20 years and especially the last 10 we see very little deviation from this range.

DelPo Cilic and Wawrinka are exceptions on both sides.

If Zverev wins, it will be like DelPo's or Cilic's US Open. An exception that is unlikely to become the rule.

I think Tsitsipas is on the upper fringe and has more upside.

The most upside for me is Shapovalov but he might be a tad too small to make it to the very top.

So I think that Zverev is not likely to win because his style requires many long matches leading to fatigue and eventually him losing.

It's not really his fault. If only Mischa and Sascha were one person. Then we would have a grand slam champion.

https://www.topendsports.com/sport/t...-wimbledon.htm
                                Last edited by arturohernandez; 08-20-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2569 users online. 6 members and 2563 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X