New documentary film on McEnroe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New documentary film on McEnroe

Written and directed by Faraut and narrated by Mathieu Amalric, JOHN MCENROE: IN THE REALM OF PERFECTION revisits the rich bounty of 16-mm-shot footage of the left-handed tennis star John McEnroe, at the time the world’s top-ranked player, as he competes in the French Open at Paris’s Roland Garros Stadium in 1984. Close-ups and slow motion sequences of McEnroe competing, as well as instances of his notorious temper tantrums, highlight a ”man who played on the edge of his senses.” Far from a traditional documentary, Faraut probes the archival film to unpack both McEnroe’s attention to the sport and the footage itself, creating a lively and immersive look at a driven athlete, a study on the sport of tennis and the human body and movement, and finally how these all intersect with cinema itself.

Comment

Who would ever thought? gzhpcu giving John McEnroe some shine. Some light. It looks a rather compelling look at one of the most interesting characters to "grace" the tennis stage. Grace is obviously an interesting choice of words if we define grace as class under pressure. With John McEnroe it was more like a "class struggle". An epic one at that.

Tim Adams wrote a very compelling book on McEnroe...the best I have read. A woman gifted it to me after I trained her son in some tennis. It was a wonderful gift that I will always treasure. The thoughtfulness of some people stays with you sometimes.

"The greatest sports stars characterize their times. They also help to tell us who we are.

John McEnroe, at his best and worst, told us the story of the 1980s. His improvised quest for tennis perfection, and his inability to find a way to grow up, dramatized the volatile self-absorption of a generation. His matches were open therapy sessions, and they allowed us all to be armchair shrinks.

In this book, Tim Adams sets out to explore what it might have meant to be John McEnroe during the turbulent 1980s, and in his subsequent lives, and to define exactly what it is that we want from our sporting heroes: how we require them to play out our own dramas, and how the best of them provide an intensity by which we can measure our own lives.

At the heart of this book are two fascinating characters—McEnroe and Bjorn Borg—and the extraordinary rivalry that defined them, a rivalry as compelling and dramatic as Ali and Foreman or Spassky and Fischer. Their great Wimbledon match of July 5, 1980—the central event in Adams’s narrative—was, as he writes, “a confrontation between two highly developed states of mind: a struggle between extreme consciousness and an absolutely studied containment of consciousness.”

It’s a book that’s “full of pleasures,” according to the London Sunday Times, and will appeal to any tennis fan or serious sports reader."

Adams wrote a compelling dissection of the McEnroe personality in some very few pages. Hopefully this documentary captures some of the same of this legendary enigmatic character. I saw McEnroe at the U. S. Open where he tried to qualify for the first time at 17 years old. One might say that he started with a bang. I hope that his match with Zan Guerry that I witnessed on that fateful day is in the documentary.

McEnroe left the country club grounds through the parking lot where I was standing with my two friend. "You got robbed, Kid", I said to him. He looked at me with sort of a puzzled appreciation look on his face. Just ten minutes earlier it was the end of his world in an epic loss at the young stage of his career. I told the story to his younger brother some years later in Louisville, Kentucky before he was going to tee it up with my little buddy Aaron Krickstein. Patrick was well aware of that match and we had a nice conversation.

I've always loved John McEnroe. I like these sort of American characters. Guys who defy convention. Guys who do it their way. Clawing to the top. Any means necessary. Are they flawed? Sure they are. But so am I. The rest of you too. But our flaws are not examined under a microscope and how would we react if they were? It's an interesting thought...don't you think so?

Great Phil. You have come a long way baby!
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        "Their great Wimbledon match of July 5, 1980—the central event in Adams’s narrative—was, as he writes, “a confrontation between two highly developed states of mind: a struggle between extreme consciousness and an absolutely studied containment of consciousness."
        Ha ha...the writer refers to Björn Borg's state of mind as "an absolutely studied containment of consciousness". One of the most interesting discoveries in my little venture outside of my country of origin is that Björn Borg wasn't a studied character at all. He was just being Swedish. His personna represents one of the little known oddities of Swedish culture. Do not bring any unnecessary attention to yourself. It's Jante's Law!

The ten rules state:
        1. You're not to think you are anything special.
        2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
        3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
        4. You're not to imagine yourself better than we are.
        5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
        6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
        7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
        8. You're not to laugh at us.
        9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
        10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

From Wikipedia: Sociological Effects
        Although intended as criticism, the meaning of the Law of Jante has shifted to refer to personal criticism of people who want to break out of their social groups and reach a higher position in society in general.

It is common in Scandinavia to claim the Law of Jante as something quintessentially Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.The rules are treated as a way of behaving in order to fit in and results in dressing similarly and the types of cars that people buy and buying similar products for their homes.[4]

It's commonly stated that Jante Law is for people in the provinces, but commentators have suggested that metropolitan areas are also affected.[4]

While the original intention was as satire, Kim Orlin Kantardjiev, and educational advisor, claims that the Law of Jante is taught in schools, is treated more as a social code to encourage group behaviour, and has been credited with making Nordic countries more harmonious and equal by pointing out the intrinsic conflicts between individuality and social conformity. He also asserts that the laws may be one of the reasons Nordic countries have high happiness scores.[4] and feels the law might be summarised as "You shouldn't think you're better than everyone else."[4]:4:59 Though the law, as defined by Sandemose, is meant to control and shame achievers of all kinds, regardless of wealth, Kantardjiev makes the association that in countries such as America, being rich allows people to behave differently, and Jante Laws tend to level out society, as the people as a whole get to set the rules, not the rich alone.[4]

In Scandinavia, articles appear regularly, however, which link the Law of Jante to high suicide rates.[5]

Backlash has occurred against the rules, and in Norway someone even placed a grave for Jante Laws, declaring them dead in 2005. However, others have questioned whether they will ever go away, as they may be firmly entrenched in society.[4]

Last edited by don_budge; 08-22-2018, 09:16 PM.
        don_budge

Comment

Consider it a belated peace offering...

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Ha ha...the writer refers to Björn Borg's state of mind as "an absolutely studied containment of consciousness". One of the most interesting discoveries in my little venture outside of my country of origin is that Björn Borg wasn't a studied character at all. He was just being Swedish. His personna represents one of the little known oddities of Swedish culture. Do not bring any unnecessary attention to yourself. It's Jante's Law!

The ten rules state:
            1. You're not to think you are anything special.
            2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
            3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
            4. You're not to imagine yourself better than we are.
            5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
            6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
            7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
            8. You're not to laugh at us.
            9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
            10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

From Wikipedia: Sociological Effects
            Although intended as criticism, the meaning of the Law of Jante has shifted to refer to personal criticism of people who want to break out of their social groups and reach a higher position in society in general.

It is common in Scandinavia to claim the Law of Jante as something quintessentially Danish, Norwegian or Swedish.The rules are treated as a way of behaving in order to fit in and results in dressing similarly and the types of cars that people buy and buying similar products for their homes.[4]

It's commonly stated that Jante Law is for people in the provinces, but commentators have suggested that metropolitan areas are also affected.[4]

While the original intention was as satire, Kim Orlin Kantardjiev, and educational advisor, claims that the Law of Jante is taught in schools, is treated more as a social code to encourage group behaviour, and has been credited with making Nordic countries more harmonious and equal by pointing out the intrinsic conflicts between individuality and social conformity. He also asserts that the laws may be one of the reasons Nordic countries have high happiness scores.[4] and feels the law might be summarised as "You shouldn't think you're better than everyone else."[4]:4:59 Though the law, as defined by Sandemose, is meant to control and shame achievers of all kinds, regardless of wealth, Kantardjiev makes the association that in countries such as America, being rich allows people to behave differently, and Jante Laws tend to level out society, as the people as a whole get to set the rules, not the rich alone.[4]

In Scandinavia, articles appear regularly, however, which link the Law of Jante to high suicide rates.[5]

Backlash has occurred against the rules, and in Norway someone even placed a grave for Jante Laws, declaring them dead in 2005. However, others have questioned whether they will ever go away, as they may be firmly entrenched in society.[4]

This is good! Describes my old girlfriend the Swedish Supreme Court Judge's daughter really well.
            Last edited by bottle; 08-23-2018, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Consider it a belated peace offering...
              I consider everything all square. Ironic we had a bit of a riff about McEnroe. Well it is the irony in life that keeps it interesting. Thanks and best to Piccolo!
              don_budge

Comment

For me, McEnroe is the most fascinating player ever. Technically he's an anomaly and completely unique. The way he could steer a ball around and nudge volleys I just found so miraculous. I could watch him all day.

The way players are starting to eke out their careers well past their 30's these days makes you wonder if McEnroe might have a achieved more, not to mention his mate Borg.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  For me, McEnroe is the most fascinating player ever. Technically he's an anomaly and completely unique. The way he could steer a ball around and nudge volleys I just found so miraculous. I could watch him all day.

The way players are starting to eke out their careers well past their 30's these days makes you wonder if McEnroe might have a achieved more, not to mention his mate Borg.
                  I think McEnroe could have achieved a lot more. He was a true genius out there to me. Even now, he can still compete on the Seniors. As Wilander once said, he can "make you feel real stupid out there". And all off a continental grip. I still don't really know how he could kind of hit topspin fh with that grip.

Comment

Top Spin ala John McEnroe...

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7964 users online. 7 members and 7957 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X