Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York U. S. A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seano View Post
    2 well written articles by Cindy Shmerler on Tennis.com and an Op Ed in the New York Times by Martina Navratilova.
    I really liked the article on tennis.com. It did not spin what happened, it simply and concisely stated the facts, what transpired out there. This Serena thing/narrative about her receiving the 3rd code violation for "calling him a thief" is just not accurate as I am certain really everyone knows. She received the 3rd violation for the constant berating and incessant demands for an apology from the umpire. It was the totality of her actions/tantrum that got the 3rd code violation. The ol straw man argument of sexism and "all I did was call him a thief" is just transparently disingenuous.
    Last edited by stroke; 09-11-2018, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post

I really liked the article on tennis.com. It did not spin what happened, it simply and concisely stated the facts, what transpired out there. This Serena thing/narrative about her receiving the 3rd code violation for "calling him a thief" is just not accurate as I am certain really everyone knows. She received the 3rd violation for the constant berating and incessant demands for an apology from the umpire. It was the totality of her actions/tantrum that got the 3rd code violation. The ol straw man argument of sexism and "all I did was call him a thief" is just transparently disingenuous.
      "Transparently disingenous." Do you have any idea how stuffy that sounds? And how it makes you seem like a stiff? What are you doing criticizing Serena anyway? Can't leave it up to a stupid referee? You have to be the referee too? Are you qualified for that? Why won't you guys discuss the initial point of the referee's decision to intervene when all the players were doing was playing fine tennis?

Because you're in to "debater's points" and you know you would lose on that one. I repeat, you are unqualified for serious discussion. But do I forbid it? No, of course not. But you just seem examples to me of the worst kind of bird in the sport kingdom. That would be boobirds.

Comment

• Okay, Guys, What if it were You?

Suppose you were in the U.S. Open Final, Men's, with all its hype and build-up, with the fully developed story lines, with your own expectation for yourself bubbling inside? And the same thing happened to you. Would you handle it? Would you keep your cool? Why, when it was passion that got you to the final in the first place?

There's so much hypocrisy in people who want more characters in the sport, more passion, less butt-scratching and ball-bouncing and more coming into the net, especially in players where coming to the net is not what they usually do.

Then Serena comes into the net almost 30 times. She doesn't ordinarily do that, does she? And that puts her into the final.

But do the boobirds comment on that? Ono. That would be something positive to say about Serena so no no no-- will not do.

Boobirds live closer to the surface. They use words like "essence" to refer to perfume and body odors, and to suggest that Serena Williams stinks. Nice guys! Not. Ungenerous, un-Christian, pontificating clods.

They ought to look for somebody with orange hair so the three of them can start an etiquette school.
        Last edited by bottle; 09-11-2018, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seano View Post
          2 well written articles by Cindy Shmerler on Tennis.com and an Op Ed in the New York Times by Martina Navratilova.

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Good find seano. It was an excellent article by Cindy Shmerler. It's hard to believe that Tennis.com would allow a writer to write without having to pull any punches here. Normally the thought police are out on the scene after these types of instances to plot the cover story. To obfuscate the reality of what happened. Normally the powers that be help the celebrity worm their way through a "rewriting of the narrative". Not this writer. Serena and the minions will do their best to punish her. Like she threatened the umpire in the match. She had the balls to sit in her chair demanding an apology...for enforcing the rules. She raked the poor guy over the coals good...for doing his job. "You'll never do another of my matches"...it's hard to imagine her superior attitude in a situation where she is so obviously wrong.

The video with the panel of four was also quite good. They did a bit more mamby pamby with their responses. Not much but you could see that they are afraid of the fallout of their comments. Serena has a way of making good on her threats as she is heavily protected by the powers that be. Don't feel sorry for poor little Serena in this case. In this case she is definitely one of the elites in the sport but her transgression is so pitiful even the mouthpieces are force to tell the truth. After all it took place out in front of a stadium of rational, sane adults. Or were they? There seemed to be a bunch of animals in the crowd that were giving her opponent are hard time. Billie Jean King and Chrissie Evert seemed to come to the demure feminist Serena. Chrissie is a first class suck up at this point too. I said as much in here John McEnroe/Chrissie Evert interview. McEnroe is not longer to be take at his word either. He is in lock step with the machine too. It is a job now and he has to eat too. Or pile on to his millions.

Mary Carillo put it best when she referred to Serena as a bully. She has been beating up on the ladies for a long time and rubbing it in for good measure. I have never once heard her being disingenuous. Her interviews are so narcissistic it really could almost induce vomiting. Seriously. And that voice...what is it with that voice? It sounds so...it is hard to put my finger on it. Anyways...I am certain that there quite a few of her competitors who are actually enjoying her meltdown/tantrum. I know I did.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Good find seano. It was an excellent article by Cindy Shmerler. It's hard to believe that Tennis.com would allow a writer to write without having to pull any punches here. Normally the thought police are out on the scene after these types of instances to plot the cover story. To obfuscate the reality of what happened. Normally the powers that be help the celebrity worm their way through a "rewriting of the narrative". Not this writer. Serena and the minions will do their best to punish her. Like she threatened the umpire in the match. She had the balls to sit in her chair demanding an apology...for enforcing the rules. She raked the poor guy over the coals good...for doing his job. "You'll never do another of my matches"...it's hard to imagine her superior attitude in a situation where she is so obviously wrong.

The video with the panel of four was also quite good. They did a bit more mamby pamby with their responses. Not much but you could see that they are afraid of the fallout of their comments. Serena has a way of making good on her threats as she is heavily protected by the powers that be. Don't feel sorry for poor little Serena in this case. In this case she is definitely one of the elites in the sport but her transgression is so pitiful even the mouthpieces are force to tell the truth. After all it took place out in front of a stadium of rational, sane adults. Or were they? There seemed to be a bunch of animals in the crowd that were giving her opponent are hard time. Billie Jean King and Chrissie Evert seemed to come to the demure feminist Serena. Chrissie is a first class suck up at this point too. I said as much in here John McEnroe/Chrissie Evert interview. McEnroe is not longer to be take at his word either. He is in lock step with the machine too. It is a job now and he has to eat too. Or pile on to his millions.

Mary Carillo put it best when she referred to Serena as a bully. She has been beating up on the ladies for a long time and rubbing it in for good measure. I have never once heard her being disingenuous. Her interviews are so narcissistic it really could almost induce vomiting. Seriously. And that voice...what is it with that voice? It sounds so...it is hard to put my finger on it. Anyways...I am certain that there quite a few of her competitors who are actually enjoying her meltdown/tantrum. I know I did.
            Here's the voice: "Mama says knock you out." And that's a good idea, too, Mr. principal of the etiquette school. orangehair is only vice-principal.
            Last edited by bottle; 09-11-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

• First Day in the New School

I want to be observing through a one-way mirror as don_budge and stroke start lecturing Serena on court etiquette.

Comment

• The Winner is NAOMI OSAKA!!!

Here she is. It's too bad it is all about Serena Williams shenanigans and antics. This young LADY handled it all with a class that belies her age. I was really impressed with her service motion as well as her composure under pressure. A real classy performance.
                don_budge

Comment

• Regarding The Serena meltdown.

Serena Williams has been a dominant champion for many years. No one can deny her skills as a tennis player, her will to win and her competitiveness. Sadly, when she behaves like she did on Saturday it tarnishes her image as a role model and leader. Just like her behavior in the 2009 semi-finals against Kim Clijsters and 2011 finals against Sam Stosur.

Serena took offense and felt attacked when she was given a warning because her coach got caught coaching from the box. Serena overreacted and felt it was personal attack against her character, which it wasn't. Her coach was caught and although it had nothing to do with Serena she has to have the warning assessed against her. Just a warning. Serena claims that she never gets coached and she would rather lose than cheat. Even though no one accused her of cheating. Her coach Patrick Mouratoglu even admitted to coaching after the match, which completely contradicts Serena's claim that she never receives coaching. After all those years of being together, Serena's coach just decided to begin coaching in that match? None of this would happen if he didn't get caught. Serena should be upset with him, not the umpire.

Serena then smashed her racquet which is irrefutable which had to prompt a second warning which results in a point penalty.
                  She then continued to jaw at the umpire and would not let it go. The umpire had no choice but to assess her a game penalty. Serena was losing at every point that these incidents had occurred.

Gerry Armstrong gave a textbook default to John McEnroe in 1990 at the Australian Open for intimidating a lines person, racquet abuse and audible obscenity. Classic chair umpiring.

The idea that ATP players are never penalized is false. The great, untouchable, god like figure Roger Federer has received two code violations for ball abuse and audible obscenity within the last two and a half months (Halle and Cincinnati)

2018 US Open Code Violations
                  Men - 86
                  Women - 22

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

• But we love it when John McEnroe sweeps the cups off the low table, which we can see immortalized in video forever and ever. Personally, I think the chorus here-- I mean everybody across the board who wants to moralize, also forever, over this Serena incident (since they may have forgotten the last), is as out of control right now as she was during the match. Y'all can take your petty moralizing and have it. But will you realize that the level of your human discourse is no higher than the Monday morning quarterbacks on the sports radio talk shows? When I hear that pompous tone I don't listen to another word, just keep going to classical music or jazz.

The correct reply to this sorry incident was a groan. Anything else-- again, you can have it and go at it. But not with this one person's applause. Do you really think Serena should be censured more? What happened wasn't enough? I'm with the ones who blame the referee and all the stupid officials in tennis who didn't take care of the inconsistencies in the coaching on court paradigm long before now. And do you really think Serena should have been the one to sort it all out in the final of a U.S. Open, right then, right on the spot? To call a coaching infraction right there, right then, was an example of showboating and failure to deal with the problem at some appropriate time.

I think that every bit of Serena's behavior was completely understandable and not all all nefarious as the extremists seem to think. I like her voice and the ads in which she is featured and think I would like her as a human being if I knew her. There was a brief shot of somebody in the crowd long before the incident, her face wreathed in smiles. It was Virginia Wade, a fan of Serena if ever there was one. And there is a good chance, in fact, that Serena Williams is bigger than life.

All of her petty critics are just that-- petty. And stodgy. BOOOOOOO!
                    Last edited by bottle; 09-12-2018, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• I know the solution. Make Carlos Ramos the head of officiating at all tournaments.

He seems to be very strict and he called out Rafa so it is hard to say that he has it out for any particular gender or race.

Then everyone would be penalized and they would all behave.

Time to smile you guys. Life is too short.

Comment

• Serena demanded that chair umpire Carlos Ramos apologize to her and make an announcement to the stadium after the coaching violation, as she felt it defamed HER character. She was then shocked when she was penalized a game after (what she thought was) calling Ramos a "thief" and a "liar". It can't work both ways. In reality, the warning for coaching went against her due to her coach, nothing to do with Serena or her character. Then she calls Ramos names that would defame his character and I guess that is ok? Just doesn't make sense.

In other news, Novak Djokovic leapfrogged Roger Federer in the career all-time prize money with $119,110,890 over Roger's $117,773,812.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
                          Serena demanded that chair umpire Carlos Ramos apologize to her and make an announcement to the stadium after the coaching violation, as she felt it defamed HER character. She was then shocked when she was penalized a game after (what she thought was) calling Ramos a "thief" and a "liar". It can't work both ways. In reality, the warning for coaching went against her due to her coach, nothing to do with Serena or her character. Then she calls Ramos names that would defame his character and I guess that is ok? Just doesn't make sense.

In other news, Novak Djokovic leapfrogged Roger Federer in the career all-time prize money with $119,110,890 over Roger's $117,773,812.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          With her nothing makes sense.

I still cannot get over why she said "other men" three times. Twice in her argument with the tournament director and once in the post match interview. If I were referring to women who were behaving in a certain manner I would say..."women get away with it" or "the women get away with it". I would never say "other women get away with it". Serena is looking pretty burley these days. I find her to be a very strange character. Shouldn't I believe my eyes? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...aren't the odds that it is a duck? It's a duck, right?

Why is she laying it on so thick about the mother thing? It's as if she is trying to convince us that she is. Really an odd character. Just dominated women's tennis for what seems like forever. When she is playing "other women" it looks as if she just bullies them. It doesn't seem fair.
                          don_budge

Comment

• In conversations like these I think its important to refer back to one of my favorite articles on this site and from one of the best minds in tennis...Dr. Allen Fox. Enjoy

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
                              Serena demanded that chair umpire Carlos Ramos apologize to her and make an announcement to the stadium after the coaching violation, as she felt it defamed HER character. She was then shocked when she was penalized a game after (what she thought was) calling Ramos a "thief" and a "liar". It can't work both ways. In reality, the warning for coaching went against her due to her coach, nothing to do with Serena or her character. Then she calls Ramos names that would defame his character and I guess that is ok? Just doesn't make sense.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              You are so right of course, it goes back to changing the narrative, the straw man. I seem to have a stalker on this board, who I blocked some time ago, who is also a straw man, as I remember..

Comment

• Kyle - That's an excellent find with Dr. Fox's article, I had not read that before. Tennis.com has a second pro-umpire article written by Steve Flink. I'm pleasantly surprised that Tennis.com has "given voice" to these two articles, well done.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 5435 users online. 8 members and 5427 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X