Chengdu Open- ATP 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chengdu Open- ATP 250

Bernard Tomic has advanced through the qualies to the final vs Fognini. Tomic has actually fought hard through at least a couple of tough matches to get there, facing down a match point in one. I still really like his game, as Stotty does. He has such an economical game, just looks different from the warm ups on.

That's quite a feat from Tomic. Let's see if he can keep it going in the final. He is one of the few players that doesn't hit the ball at a trillion miles an hour. I don't think I have seen a player hit the ball so consistently dead flat on his backhand.
    Stotty

Comment

Tomic wins it with a great performance. He was down 5-2 in the 3rd set tiebreak and stayed engaged and strong and got it done. He actually showed positive body language during the match and real emotion at winning the trophy. He will move into the top 75 with this win. He certainly has the game, so much talent. Watching him today, I would say his one handed slice is as good as I have ever seen for a primary 2 hander. His low ball toss(I wonder if it is just coincidence that he and Nick both have this) was working great with his slice serve. His 2 handed backhand was as solid as a rock, and that forehand was doing some damage. He hits it so flat by today's standards, but when he goes for it, he really takes away time from his opponent. The flatness of it obviously can be a problem for him, with his lack of margin. He certainly does not have the up and down ping pong type action on his forehand of a lot of players.

Comment

Thanks for putting the match my way, stroke. I watched most of the replay. Tomic really made life difficult for Fognini by slow-balling him and taking the pace out of the ball. You just don't see that in players these days...soaking up and denying pace. Tomic cut inside his sliced backhand beautifully when hitting down the line which really caused problems for Fognini on his forehand wing.

It was an intriguing match and Tomic played the same game from start to finish. Both players really wanted it, which is strange because they are two players who usually seldom want it.
        Stotty

Comment

"2 players who usually seldom want it". So true, but they did as you said. Some kind of strange connection there.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7746 users online. 2 members and 7744 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X