Interactive Forum October 2018: Naomi Osaka Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
    It is interesting to see how women hit different than men. Strength and power make a difference and it seems that women have to get the racket back farther in order to generate power. Or maybe they have a bit more time. In any case, I think this is a very nice forehand for the baseline big basher era. However, my guess is that it is not as amenable to playing inside the court and to the type of adaptability needed to handle an approach shot with all types of different balls.

So it seems that she is able to generate plenty of power but that it requires her larger frame to do so.

Obviously, it is a great weapon but I really wonder how it would hold up if she were pressed with either slice or with someone making her hit the ball somewhere else besides the baseline.

Problem is there aren't too many women who make players do that regularly these days.
    hehe hseih just did exactly that at the miami open 2019

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post

hehe hseih just did exactly that at the miami open 2019
      Yes! And Barty did it to Pliskova as well. I think we may finally get some variety in the women's game.

Comment

I am reviving this thread. We have a Mischa Zverev, Naomi Osaka and Ash Barty thread going that I think are all related. Mischa is hyper short made for attacking via approach shots. Osaka is built to hit winners from the baseline. But evidenced by her play on grass it is not very good at adjusting to inside the court. This makes her vulnerable to people who make her move inside the court and hit low balls. Madison Keys is another player with a huge backswing. Again, I feel that this is a liability in the long run. Mischa's may be too short but I feel like the Henin model may be better for women in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

thanks Jim.
          Yeah, I remember reading that as well. When you see it in person its obvious the women are still crushing some huge shots, but as it goes fast through the air it looks as if its a ping pong ball whereas the men produce the power/spin combo which makes it look and feel like a bowling ball off your racquet.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Kyle: Have you ever experienced that “bowling ball” look and feel from your opponent’s second serve? I still think that hitting that old school, shallow, heavy kick to the server’s right, twist serve for clay(which requires that “look” or spin/speed ratio), is valid for Senior doubles to occasionally draw receiver forward. But I can’t find many who can do it or know of it to help me learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

Kyle: Have you ever experienced that “bowling ball” look and feel from your opponent’s second serve? I still think that hitting that old school, shallow, heavy kick to the server’s right, twist serve for clay(which requires that “look” or spin/speed ratio), is valid for Senior doubles to occasionally draw receiver forward. But I can’t find many who can do it or know of it to help me learn it.
            Yes. I've experienced it. In fact, John did a great article in "Your Strokes" for Ingrid Neal's serve. Check it out. I experienced the before and after effects of the improvement.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Thanks. Will check it out!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9077 users online. 8 members and 9069 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X