Shanghai Open ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanghai Open ATP 1000

The Shanghai Open is now underway and most of the stars seem to be in the house. All eyes will be on Roger to see if his game is finally starting to slip. Stotty thinks it is but everyone else is being cautious about agreeing with me because he's looked on the slide before yet defied the odds and turned back the clock.

Me, I will be watching Novak to see if his about to go into invincible mode, the invincible mode he was once in before, before the wheels came off his love life.

I didn't see Rafa in the draw this morning when I looked. I presume he is still injured?

Will one of the Next Gen. break through? We keep waiting for it to happen but will it happen at Shanghai?...doubtful with Novak and Roger in the house.
    Stotty

Same ol, Novak favorite at 13/8, Fed 10/3, followed by Del Po at 15/2 and Zverev 10/1. I like everyone else would be really surprised to see someone other than those 4(really 2) with the tournament. I kind of wish the interested version of Tomic could have gotten end the draw.
    Last edited by stroke; 10-09-2018, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Djokovic beats Chardy for the umpteenth time to progress to the next round. A. De Minaur, tennis_chiro's tip for the future, wins in two straight. Britain's Kyle Edmund keeps the hopes of the nation alive while H. Chung wins a see-saw match.

Not too many yanks in these ATP 1000 events these days. Just shows how times have changed and how global the game has become.
      Stotty

Comment

very tough out there. these 1000"s draws are so tough from the 1st match

Comment

I see Thiem bombed out early again. He can play so unbelievably well but cannot sustain that form from one event to the next. None of the Next Gen. have that quality either, which is why you can't see them winning multiple slams or dominating for very long.

A. De Minaur versus Paire might be an interesting match up.
          Stotty

Comment

Obviously no Roger, Nadal, or Novak Grand Slam/Masters 1000 records being duplicated any time soon. Theim will probably pick up a couple of FO's and Master 1000s on clay. Tsipitas' future looks better than that. Still think Zverev will end up with better career than say Murray but who knows. The ATP really needs to take some disciplinary action on Nick. His antics in an almost empty stadium in his 1st round loss were just not acceptable.

Comment

Roger often has a tight 1st round after a long break. Medvedev is a tough opponent. Roger going often to the net saved him. Makes the match more enjoyable seeing him wait for the right moment to pounce and finish the point at the net. Too bad more players don’t follow his example.

Comment

Oddly enough I thought that might be a tricky match for Roger. I didn't see it but it was great to learn he'd pulled through in that third set. tennis_chiro's tip for the future De Minaur beat Benoit Paire in two comfy sets and now has the pleasure of playing Zverev. Roger plays Agut, a player he has never lost to.

Djokovic versus Cecchinato might be vaguely interesting since Cecchinato has a 1-0 winning head to head record.
                Stotty

Comment

Medvedev another of the taller players who has a huge upside. Then he faces a shorter Federer who just harasses him into making mistakes. Federer was right when he said that he knows players will never come to the net.

I mean never. And Fed just started charging hard. He did this a few years back against Raonic on the blue clay in Madrid.

It is so disruptive to be able to come in and just mix it up.

Jaziri did it to Zverev last week as well.

Fed almost makes me not miss the 90's.

Comment

Mededev played a great match, as did Fed. It took all of Fed's inimitable tennis skills to take it. Mededev is #22 with a bullet. The crowd really enjoyed the match. On a side note, Querry was playing Fritz on a non stadium nearly empty stands. That was also a great 3 set match with tremendous shotmaking.

Comment

Roger powered through in the last couple of games against Agut. Agut received a shocking call at a critical time...so unlucky.

Roger is the only one who can deal with low, intricate volleys. His hands are so good. His volleys have improved.
                      Stotty

Comment

Must be tough to play Roger, when in addition to his game, there is a huge block of fans, all dressed in red, cheering for him constantly.

When Agut left the court, no one cheered him. Not fair.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          Must be tough to play Roger, when in addition to his game, there is a huge block of fans, all dressed in red, cheering for him constantly.

When Agut left the court, no one cheered him. Not fair.
                          True. And he is a wonderful player Agut. He only has one win against the BIG four and that came against Djokovic. He's run them all close at times though. He's a great workman, and as honest and as fair as they come.
                          Stotty

Comment

Agut to me is a lot like Kohlschreiber, not so much from a style standpoint, but just as a professional out there. Always plays well and competes. Probably will not ever win a Major or even a Masters 1000, but he is just a tough out.

Comment

I've been reading BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE, by Spike Lee. He says "I just want to see a good, competitive game, at whatever level. I can watch a high school game if it's a good game. If it's competitive, teams are evenly matched, then you have a story."

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2477 users online. 3 members and 2474 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X