Swiss Indoor Basel ATP 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Indoor Basel ATP 500

Federer looks shaky. He again loses the second set after finally pulling through at the end of the third. No longer seems so dominant. Hope he does better against Struff tonight.

The last three tournaments I have watched him in, Roger has looked jaded and weary. I wonder at times if he doesn't get a little bored. I mean, week after week of beating the same people over and over again. I heard rumour that Roger has been carrying niggling injuries since January, which can't help.

I just thought that watching him in the final against Novak in Cincinnati, that his time maybe up at the very highest level.
    Stotty

Comment

Roger beat Struff 6-3, 7-5. Served very well. Slower than Struff, but better placed. Think he will plumet in rankngs next year...

Comment

Another nailbiting, 3 set win over Simon. Just by a hair’s breadth....

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Another nailbiting, 3 set win over Simon. Just by a hair’s breadth....
          A strange game in my view. Simon hardly got a first in in the second set, yet still won it!

Roger has lately been uncompromising in his aggressive style of play and won't take his foot off the gas even if he cannot find any consistency. At times he looks mentally flat and bored, but then suddenly bursts into life and looks like he wants it.

Still he's winning, albeit in stuttering fashion.

I thought Simon did well. He kept Federer out there and made him play longer rallies than he would normally like. Good plan.

I am rather hoping for a Roger v Zverev final.
          Stotty

Comment

I watched the Fed Simon match. Simon is like a Novak lite to me. He does everything well, great mover and does not give much away. Fed pulled it out like he usually does. Next year will be interesting, seeing if Fed can win another major. Wimbledon is still a good possibility it seems. Seeing if Zverev can break through also will be interesting. He could win one anytime now it seems. And how many more FO's does Rafa have in him?

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              I watched the Fed Simon match. Simon is like a Novak lite to me. He does everything well, great mover and does not give much away. Fed pulled it out like he usually does. Next year will be interesting, seeing if Fed can win another major. Wimbledon is still a good possibility it seems. Seeing if Zverev can break through also will be interesting. He could win one anytime now it seems. And how many more FO's does Rafa have in him?
              I don't see Roger winning another major.

Zverev screwed up again today. He should beat Copil but as yet hasn't developed the knack of regularly beating players umpteen places below him.
              Stotty

Comment

Finally a good match by Roger against Medvedev in two clear sets. Good attacking tennis.

I don’t see Roger winning another major either.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I don't see Roger winning another major.

Zverev screwed up again today. He should beat Copil but as yet hasn't developed the knack of regularly beating players umpteen places below him.
                  I think he will get one more. He is just so good. I never would have thought it possible to do what he has done this year at his age. Zverev, it is coming I think. No doubt, he is nowhere close to Fed, Rafa, and Novak. DB used to say their unbelievable achievements was because of weak fields. I still say it is because of their greatness. the 3 best of all time to me.

Comment

They could be the three greatest but we might be doing previous greats a disservice by assuming it. Players today have so many more advantages over players of previous generations. How would Rafa and Novak fair on fast grass playing with dunlop maxply rackets? Or when the game dictated you had to come to the net? The truth is we just don't know. McEnroe, on grass, at his zenith, with a wooden racket, would take some beating if his opponent (any opponent) had to dual him with a wooden racket also. McEnroe was terrific for the way the game was designed back then.

Today's game is a one-dimensional baseline slog. No generation has done the baseline slog better. But I think the Big 3 would have been beaten more often if they had opponents with more capable all round games. After all, how can you out-slog Djokovic if you can't slog as well as he, which no one can. The field isn't necessarily weak...it's just their options are limited.

I think Zverev has shot himself in the foot by not learning to volley well enough to be at least competent at the net. He's poor at the net and that has been really costly in some of the bigger matches I have seen him play. He still think he could win a slam, but it's going to take a lucky break and a following wind.
                    Last edited by stotty; 10-27-2018, 01:23 PM.
                    Stotty

Comment

I do not disagree with you. I think Mac was a genius. It is complete speculation, but I am going with the 3. Gonzales, Laver, Lendl, and Sampras are in the conversation also,

Comment

I love the Autumn European season. Indoor tennis, clean and aggressive. Pure ball striking. The quality of tennis can be really high in climate controlled, sterile environments. No heat, no sun, no wind. Just who hits a better ball and can solve the problems the fastest. Fed shines in this arena. Amazing week by Marius Copil but confident Federer has this in the bag.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

That silly drop shot in the tiebreak cost Copil the first set. Otherwise a solid performance from the Romanian. Roger played a brilliant tiebreak....textbook...a perfect example for aspiring juniors to watch and study.

Roger's feel is mindboggling good. The only comparative players in the 'feel' department are Nastase and McEnroe.
                          Stotty

Comment

A pretty solid performance from Roger. The last five games were a masterclass and the best I have seen him play in quite a while. His defence was remarkably good. He is just so good at making his opponent play one more shot, and so good at reversing a defending situation into and attacking situation.

I thought Copil did great. He just collapsed under the strain of the level Roger was playing at in those last five games. Tough for any journeyman to keep up with that.

Roll on the ATP finals. As Klacr said, no one plays better than Roger indoors.
                            Last edited by stotty; 10-28-2018, 12:40 PM.
                            Stotty

Comment

Copy that Fed indoors. Kind of like Lendl used to be in his prime. Take out the elements and they seem to stand out most of all.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8585 users online. 5 members and 8580 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X