Technical Flaws in Pro Two Handers: Milos Raonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Flaws in Pro Two Handers: Milos Raonic

Would love your thoughts on "Technical Flaws in Pro Two Handers: Milos Raonic"

John -

I'm confused, in regards to the backswing and how far the hands/arms should stretch. In Dr. Gordon's article, "The Take Back and Dynamic Slot" he mentions that "it is possible to optimize the pulling capabilities of the right (bottom) arm by stretching the arm far back (toward the back fence) in a one-piece backswing". This will put a tremendous stretch on the right shoulder in the take back. Further, when the legs drive initiates an aggressive pelvic rotation, the arms will naturally lag behind and create even more stretch. This pre-tension is one factor in the stretch-shorten cycle. This is the opposite of what you are stating in the article.

You mention the importance that at contact, the shoulders should be 45 degrees and the hips the same or less. I agree with that and understand the importance of that. But Milos often over rotates and is close to 90 degrees at contact. My question is only how far back the hands/arms are stretched in the backswing.

Sean
    Last edited by seano; 11-01-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

It's not a question of back it's a question of wide. The spacing between the hands and the torso.

Comment

John -

I think I see what you're talking about. Is the spacing issue similar to Andy Roddick's Backhand? I know Roddick had a different grip structure and not much of a backswing but he never let his hands go behind him and trace a figure 8. Am I on the right track? Goes to show the difference between keeping the racquet on the hitting side of the body and hand placement in relation to the body.

Sean
        Last edited by seano; 11-02-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Sean,
          You got it now--everything is too far to his left and from his body in the backswing and this causes the over rotation.

Comment

Thank you John

Comment

Timing of this article is impeccable.
              Yesterday I had a student, probably about the size of Raonic, big, tall, sturdy kid. Lots of natural, easy power. (why he doesn't hit with a one-handed backhand is beyond me). He came to me completely distraught and demoralized about his game. His serve and forehand are his big weapons but he was down in the dumps because of his backhand, which, was one of the worst, most awkward backhands I've seen. Nothing on it looked right or natural. The biggest concern for me was the fact that he had no idea how to even adjust it or make a change.

Turns out, I had seen a similar backhand to this before. And I had seen it quite recently. Not in the true aesthetic but in the components and flaws. This young man had the Raonic backhand problem!
              I immediately went into action and got him a better sense of where his posture/chest should be at contact. He understood this immediately. Of course, it helped when I gave him evidence of it in action as I was able to quickly pull this article. As he consciously made this adjustment I saw that his hands naturally became closer to his body. The light bulb went off. He then began to transfer his weight into the ball and not across his body, his shots were cleaner with more bite and he went after the shot whereas before he was quite passive. I wrote him a prescription for 1000 reps on the tennis ball machine to hone it even more.

Thank you John Yandell for making this quick, easy and painless on me and my student.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Excellent article.

Comment

Amazing John!

Film shows so much that is not clear to the naked eye.

I guess my question is that we almost never see a bad one handed backhand. I realize that this might be due to the fact that a bad 1hbh is likely to be a fatal flaw. No one would ever get to Raonic's level with a bad one hander.

But Kyle brings up an interesting point, one that I see over and over again in this homogenized early developing two handed world, there are players that I think would prefer to hit one handed if they were given a chance.

Raonic's idol was Sampras so I am not sure why he did not hit with one hand.

Again, he might have had the same problems but it is possible that he would not.

The question I have is why there are so many bad backhands from the same continent.

Did John just cherry pick the bad ones?

Based on this article in a backhand competition of North America against the world, North America loses badly.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                    Amazing John!

The question I have is why there are so many bad backhands from the same continent.
                    Americans used to invent more?

Comment

Well spotted, John. I would never have figured that one out.

Often when the shoulders are parallel to the net on contact, the front foot of the player is angled too far forward (sometimes pointing directly at the net) which in turn makes the contact point a little further in front of the body. This isn't the case with Milos of course but it can be a cause with other players.

But, yes, great coaching, John. You're clearly even smarter than I thought. If I am ever over your way, maybe Klacr and me can book a shared lesson with you on our forehands....
                      Stotty

Comment

That would be a honor! And who knows the LTA might bring me to London again and I can bring Kyle.

Comment

I'm down for it! London has some great food.
                          Sadly, I see that LTA is reported to have lost money for the 3rd consecutive year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            I'm down for it! London has some great food.
                            Sadly, I see that LTA is reported to have lost money for the 3rd consecutive year.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            You and your stomach! But, yes, London is home to some great grub.

The LTA has lost money due to low participation amongst other things. The government award funding to sports according to numbers participating, so low participation equals less money. Plus, they have spent an absolute fortune on building of roof on Wimbledon's court 1, due to be finished by 2019.

Here is a good article on the state of our situation.

https://www.managementtoday.co.uk/lt...rticle/1439054
                            Last edited by stotty; 11-09-2018, 07:15 AM.
                            Stotty

Comment

Yep to balance the budget they are cancelling Tennisplayer for all their coaches. That just about pays for the roof (ha...) Stotty did they let you know that?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8624 users online. 10 members and 8614 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X