Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum December 2018: Andre Rublev Forehand

Andre Rublev Forehand

This month we look at another young tour player with a devastating forehand weapon. Andre Rublev. See any significant technical differences with Tisitsipas from last month? (Click Here.) The obvious one is grip. Another is a higher backswing. Both are straight arm. What else do you see?

Last edited by johnyandell; 05-15-2021, 03:27 PM.

The first thing I notice is that Rublev seems to have some degree of wrist flexion thru contact before the wiper motion takes over. At first I thought he was just miss hitting the ball but upon closer inspection it seems to be wrist flexion after the centripetal force bring the racquet head around to contact.

Sean

Comment

His racket face seems notably 'open' (or upward facing) through the contact which, for me, almost reminds me of a Radwanska forehand - super flat.

The biggest difference in comparison to Tisitsipas, for me, is the angle of the racket face through his extension post contact with the ball. Tisitsipas strings face forward into the court at the end of his extension post contact, whereas Rublev's strings face towards his left at the end of his forward extension.

I'm not sure if that is because of a consequence of some he is doing earlier in the swing...?

I haven't seen much of Rublev play - but I recall him playing Nadal at the US Open in the last few years, and it looked like he didn't have much margin for error on the forehand - he was hitting it so flat. Huge weapon when it's firing though!

Tom

Comment

Grips it and rips it. Excellent body turn with left arm extended. Typical pro model as he holds the racquet with the left hand until that non-dominant shoulder is pointing at the ball.

Looks like that grip is a bit further underneath than Tsitsipas.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Aesthetically Tsitsipas seems to more fluid. He appears to have a more natural athletic rhythm to his game and this is apparent at any speed. Rublev's input (energy, effort or however it may be described) seems more forced. It's something that's apparent in all sports and at all levels especially when a naturally athletic individual stands in comparison to someone who is less athletically inclined but who has been efficiently trained. Pete Rose, for example, had a great swing. A hall of fame swing but it wasn't as rhythmically smooth as Ken Griffey Jr's. Rublev, quite often, seems to be TRYING to hit the ball and hit it hard. Tsitsipas conversely seems to be responding to the oncoming ball more intuitively while achieving the same result. There seems to be a kinetic response that is more natural and fluid and has fewer disconnects. Not sure if it affects the outcome but it surely affects the presentation. Beauty and the Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by 10stchr View Post
            Aesthetically Tsitsipas seems to more fluid. He appears to have a more natural athletic rhythm to his game and this is apparent at any speed. Rublev's input (energy, effort or however it may be described) seems more forced. It's something that's apparent in all sports and at all levels especially when a naturally athletic individual stands in comparison to someone who is less athletically inclined but who has been efficiently trained. Pete Rose, for example, had a great swing. A hall of fame swing but it wasn't as rhythmically smooth as Ken Griffey Jr's. Rublev, quite often, seems to be TRYING to hit the ball and hit it hard. Tsitsipas conversely seems to be responding to the oncoming ball more intuitively while achieving the same result. There seems to be a kinetic response that is more natural and fluid and has fewer disconnects. Not sure if it affects the outcome but it surely affects the presentation. Beauty and the Beast.
            I think you are on to something. See the easiest on the eye ever, Fed.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I think you are on to something. See the easiest on the eye ever, Fed.
              Very talented players always make the game look easy, relaxed, and muscle-free. I am not sure why that is or even if anyone can explain it.
              Stotty

Comment

Anybody gone to forum on the phone? What does the video do?

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Anybody gone to forum on the phone? What does the video do?
                  I have been on the website with my phone. The interactive forum with the Rublev forehand does not show the video. I am just seeing a blank white screen

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Bocas Raton

Comment

Great thanks...we continue to tweak..

Comment

Hey Kyle try it now.

Comment

Yup. Working now. No problem.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

I'll check a good cross section of videos over the next few days on my iPhone and report back if there are any problems.
                          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            I'll check a good cross section of videos over the next few days on my iPhone and report back if there are any problems.
                            I have checked out quite lot of the clips and most are fine. On average, from pressing the play button, they take around 8 seconds to load and play, which seems quite a long wait, but that may be standard for Internet clips...I wouldn't know. My Internet connection is supposed to be quick so I guess others may find the clips load slower.

Some of the clips play in a loop, which is great, but I not sure if this is the intention as other clips just once and stop.

I'l check out some more clips over Christmas.
                            Stotty

Comment

Ok great. Loads fast on my phone just thru phone connection. Post any urls you find with problems

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8814 users online. 3 members and 8811 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X