Question for Dr. Brian Gordon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Dr. Brian Gordon

Brian, Will you also cover the toss in your excellent serve series? A correct toss sets the stage for the serve. Thanks

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    A correct toss sets the stage for the serve. Thanks
    If you get all of the ducks in a row as Brian says...all of the vectors and all of the rotations in position to go to the ball. Putting the ball in the correct place at the right time will guarantee a nice swing at the ball. I look forwards to this part of the explanation as well.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

You are absolutely correct Phil. I'm afraid given the number of concepts I was throwing out in short period of filming I had to work under the assumption of correct toss location. I will get to that another time - sorry about that.

Comment

Thank you Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Brian, Will you also cover the toss in your excellent serve series? A correct toss sets the stage for the serve. Thanks
          Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
          I'm afraid given the number of concepts I was throwing out in short period of filming I had to work under the assumption of correct toss location.
          Yes...given that the PERFECT service motion is a Holy Grail of sorts one assumes that regarding the toss that there is one point in time and space where "IT" is perfect and everything comes together in a cataclysmic moment. That point may vary somewhat given the server's intentions with regard to spin and placement. The vectors of rotation may vary somewhat incrementally with the server's intentions. If a right hander throws the ball more out to his right in order to impart more sidespin or "slice" how does that effect the rotations that we have discussed? Twist vs. Forward? Or?

Where all of the biomechanics have been perfectly performed and the player delivers he ball to that one point in time and space...this is what I refer to as "IT". The God Moment. It sounds simple but realistically it is a whole another story. Excuse me...I pray continue.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Maybe there's something somebody could still say to improve the toss, likewise the fourth upward rotation (abduction/adduction or "cleanup" I think of it as). That's the bit of biomechanics I think the novice (me) is most apt to have imperfect understanding of. Everything said about it and shown so far is grand. Still, it's a particular ephemerid or fish fly that doesn't last long and could be squirmy and slippery.
            Last edited by bottle; 12-10-2018, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2395 users online. 7 members and 2388 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X