No announcement yet.

The Serve: What is the Optimum Stance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Norman - don't really know the answer to that. A lot of players do it - I can speculate the forward translation of the torso via the step eases the stress on the shoulder - does for me. Normally the forward motion of the torso is acquired as a result of the forward rotation (angular momentum) but that requires a lot more effort than most want in their first swings - the step is pretty passive.

Can't teach 6'10" - statement of the week. Sad thing is I've seen plenty that try but that's another conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
      Thanks Norman - don't really know the answer to that. A lot of players do it - I can speculate the forward translation of the torso via the step eases the stress on the shoulder - does for me. Normally the forward motion of the torso is acquired as a result of the forward rotation (angular momentum) but that requires a lot more effort than most want in their first swings - the step is pretty passive.

Can't teach 6'10" - statement of the week. Sad thing is I've seen plenty that try but that's another conversation.
      You and I both Brian.

I'm 6'6" and have what many people would consider a desirable serve. A student of mine (a 5'2" Chinese woman) told me she wants a serve just like mine. I smiled. It's not that I didn't have the heart to tell her, I do. Its just that she still would not believe me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Let's discuss Brian Gordon's article, "The Serve: What is the Optimum Stance?"
        lol, would be nice to also include link so noobs to the forum like me can find it :P

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

You and I both Brian.

I'm 6'6" and have what many people would consider a desirable serve. A student of mine (a 5'2" Chinese woman) told me she wants a serve just like mine. I smiled. It's not that I didn't have the heart to tell her, I do. Its just that she still would not believe me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          i'm 5'4"... i can still try/strive :P

Comment

Here is Brian's take on it:

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7885 users online. 7 members and 7878 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X