Son's Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son's Forehand

Take a look at my son's forehand. He's a young 14, wants to be great. Let me know what you think:

Last edited by postpre; 01-05-2019, 08:42 AM.

Looks terrific! Can we see some clips in normal speed too. High speed is great for analysis but I find I can get a better feel for a player's level in real time.

It would be nice to see him under more duress, see him get moved around, maybe see him play some points. That way we can see how good he is as a player. Players like this always look great when the balls coming right to them.
    Stotty

Comment

Thanks, Stotty. I will get some clips in normal speed/point play situations. I shot these in slo mo to send to a coach in our section (he requested slo mo to look at technique). I agree things get more complicated when under duress. His greatest improvement over the last year or so is his ability to deal much better with pressure.

Comment

postpre,
        A couple of thoughts. He could go more to the outside on the initial backswing with the face of the racket closed ever so slightly. Try to keep the racket hand more on the hitting side. He should try to smooth the timing of all this and eliminate the pause or the slowing. He definitely should stretch the left arm across further and harder.

Comment

Originally posted by postpre View Post
          Thanks, Stotty. I will get some clips in normal speed/point play situations. I shot these in slo mo to send to a coach in our section (he requested slo mo to look at technique). I agree things get more complicated when under duress. His greatest improvement over the last year or so is his ability to deal much better with pressure.
          That's great. I like his double rhythm steps early on in the clip...useful. Does he move well generally?

A while back a couple of junior players from the other side of the county sent me some clips asking for feedback, which I did. Word got around and now I get sent clips all the time! What I say to them is not to stage or edit the clips. I ask them to send me a warts and all, high intensity, short practice session, with a tie-break thrown in at the end. Coaches can glean far more from that kind of stuff.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            postpre,
            A couple of thoughts. He could go more to the outside on the initial backswing with the face of the racket closed ever so slightly. Try to keep the racket hand more on the hitting side. He should try to smooth the timing of all this and eliminate the pause or the slowing. He definitely should stretch the left arm across further and harder.
            Don't you think he over does it with how far he takes the left arm back? He takes it back way further than Novak who I think takes his left arm back to the limit.
            Stotty

Comment

Yes--he should let go sooner and stretch it hard toward the sideline.

Comment

Thanks John & Stotty. You have noted some things that I have observed as well. His off arm has gotten a bit limp (it used to be stronger). I think he can and should get it stretched more. Regarding letting go of the off arm sooner, check out Nadal here and how long he keeps his off arm on the throat with balls in his comfort zone (as far as his left shoulder): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDg0kxn-xZg

(check forehands at :06, 1:00, 11:21, 13:13, etc...)

I think my son resembles Nadal a bit with his stroke, in terms of his take back, coil, and flip of the racquet.
                Last edited by postpre; 01-05-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...r%20500fps.mp4

Check out this Nadal clip. On his take back/unit turn (when off arm is on throat), my son tends to angle his racquet similar to Nadal (angled more facing his head instead of away from his head like Fed). Further, after Nadal's drop of the racquet, he begins his forward swing pull with his hitting hand around his left hip (and not really to the outside of his body), though his racquet head generally does stay to the outside of his hand (which helps generate his massive flip), which I think is key (unlike Murray, for instance). Nadal holds the throat with his off arm pretty long, much longer than he did earlier in his career, which is interesting. Any thoughts? Nadal's off arm is definitely is strong, which I will work on with my son.
                  Last edited by postpre; 01-05-2019, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Take a look at my son's forehand. He's a young 14, wants to be great. Let me know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpqU-nec9qM
                    What do I think? It's a forehand. Plus or minus. Put it in the fire and see what happens. What evolves.

But here's what I really think. He's fourteen...not a boy but not quite a man. But soon. So drop the two handed backhand. These kids use that two hand backhand like a pacifier. A teddy bear. That little blankey kids cling to. Be a man about it. Once that hand is off the racquet then we look at the forehand again.

I don't care for the footwork. Nothing about his movement suggests to me that he has any inkling to move forwards. It's all passive in the sense that he is going to scurry around the baseline and play tit for tat. Look at Roger Federer. He is 37 years old and he is the only player on the tour that seems to have any idea that there is a whole another court to be played...inside the service line. On both sides of the court.

Look at how cleverly he used the forecourt against Tsitsipas and Zverev in the last couple of days. His forecourt and the opponents.

In order to discuss this forehand we need to see the serve too. Forehand discussion make no sense whatsoever without seeing what the rest of the game is doing. This forehand is standard issue. It could be a Djokovic, a Nadal or even a Federer. So what? The thing has to be addressed as a whole. You are going to have to start with the backhand. Lose the two hander and man up. Net play. Approach play. Serve and volley. Otherwise the kid is doomed to be what thousands and thousands of tennis players in this era are doomed to. A lifetime of baseline boring rallies.

What about the future? The ITF or the ATP or whoever is running this thing is going to have to start adapting here. The game is so dumbed down and ridiculously boring that anyone with any intelligence will anticipate the next move by the braintrust...they will have to speed it up. Get ahead of the curve. Anticipate. Just as you would get that early start on the ball.

It's a fine forehand. Just put him in as many tournaments as he can handle. Then give him some time off and play some basketball. Mix it up. He's just fourteen. Develop his athleticism. I'm taking a page out of hockeyscout's book here.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Your son is taking his left arm further than Nadal, and higher. It definitely needs to release a tad earlier which in turn will help him be able to achieve a harder stretch across the body. It will work. Your kid has super potential here. I think John has a great point about the racket face. Closing it a couple of degrees will help.

I love Nadal's forehand. I am not sure it is the best model out there for kids to emulate because it has factors that are risky and difficult to copy. Roger's is the best model for me.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Your son is taking his left arm further than Nadal, and higher. It definitely needs to release a tad earlier which in turn will help him be able to achieve a harder stretch across the body. It will work. Your kid has super potential here. I think John has a great point about the racket face. Closing it a couple of degrees will help.

I love Nadal's forehand. I am not sure it is the best model out there for kids to emulate because it has factors that are risky and difficult to copy. Roger's is the best model for me.
                        You are right about how the harder stretch will be easier if he releases his left arm a tad earlier. I am not as clear as I'd like to be on what you and John are suggesting about closing the racket face a few degrees. I want to make sure that I'm on point here. Could you provide a further clarification or clip that can help me understand?

Also, my son does move pretty well for his size. He is not super explosive yet, but he's pretty quick. He is just over 6ft tall now (with lots of growth left). He is very coordinated with his feet and hands (from lots of basketball and drills we've done from an early age).

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

What do I think? It's a forehand. Plus or minus. Put it in the fire and see what happens. What evolves.

But here's what I really think. He's fourteen...not a boy but not quite a man. But soon. So drop the two handed backhand. These kids use that two hand backhand like a pacifier. A teddy bear. That little blankey kids cling to. Be a man about it. Once that hand is off the racquet then we look at the forehand again.

I don't care for the footwork. Nothing about his movement suggests to me that he has any inkling to move forwards. It's all passive in the sense that he is going to scurry around the baseline and play tit for tat. Look at Roger Federer. He is 37 years old and he is the only player on the tour that seems to have any idea that there is a whole another court to be played...inside the service line. On both sides of the court.

Look at how cleverly he used the forecourt against Tsitsipas and Zverev in the last couple of days. His forecourt and the opponents.

In order to discuss this forehand we need to see the serve too. Forehand discussion make no sense whatsoever without seeing what the rest of the game is doing. This forehand is standard issue. It could be a Djokovic, a Nadal or even a Federer. So what? The thing has to be addressed as a whole. You are going to have to start with the backhand. Lose the two hander and man up. Net play. Approach play. Serve and volley. Otherwise the kid is doomed to be what thousands and thousands of tennis players in this era are doomed to. A lifetime of baseline boring rallies.

What about the future? The ITF or the ATP or whoever is running this thing is going to have to start adapting here. The game is so dumbed down and ridiculously boring that anyone with any intelligence will anticipate the next move by the braintrust...they will have to speed it up. Get ahead of the curve. Anticipate. Just as you would get that early start on the ball.

It's a fine forehand. Just put him in as many tournaments as he can handle. Then give him some time off and play some basketball. Mix it up. He's just fourteen. Develop his athleticism. I'm taking a page out of hockeyscout's book here.
                          I like your perspective, and that you speak your mind :-). I've been pushing for my son to look for opportunities to come in and develop his forecourt and net game. You are right in that he doesn't do this or practice this enough. But I see a ton of potential with him in this regard. He probably sees himself more like Djokovic (his idol), but I see him more like Federer. I think he has the power potential, creativity, and finesse to pull it off pretty well, if he dedicates to this game style. He has a great backhand slice for his age, and uses it a lot even in competition. His backhand volley is also natural. He could have been a one hander, no doubt. He toys around with it in practice and always enjoys it. But he has just recently turned the corner with the two hander, and has become very solid. He has avoided some of the double handed pitfalls of a Raonic, Isner, or Roddick, in developing the stroke. I don't know, maybe he could be a Tsonga and be able to use both options! Would you switch to a one hander to accommodate an attacking game, merely? Would you see a need to change if the two hander is developing well?
                          Last edited by postpre; 01-06-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I like your perspective, and that you speak your mind :-). I've been pushing for my son to look for opportunities to come in and develop his forecourt and net game. You are right in that he doesn't do this or practice this enough. But I see a ton of potential with him in this regard. He probably sees himself more like Djokovic (his idol), but I see him more like Federer. I think he has the power potential, creativity, and finesse to pull it off pretty well, if he dedicates to this game style. He has a great backhand slice for his age, and uses it a lot even in competition. His backhand volley is also natural. He could have been a one hander, no doubt. He toys around with it in practice and always enjoys it. But he has just recently turned the corner with the two hander, and has become very solid. He has avoided some of the double handed pitfalls of a Raonic, Isner, or Roddick, in developing the stroke. I don't know, maybe he could be a Tsonga and be able to use both options! Would you switch to a one hander to accommodate an attacking game, merely? Would you see a need to change if the two hander is developing well?
                            I mentioned basketball and somehow I hit the target again. I love the crossover between basketball and tennis. Offence and defence. You see this only in Roger Federer...these types of "plays". He is always looking to aggressively attack and in the words of Bill Tilden, to put and maintain pressure on the opponent. I see Djokovic in the forehand of your son and I don't like it one little bit either. If I had a boy like this, his size and skills, like you I always see Federer. I never see Djokovic.

If I were his coach at this point I would be transitioning him off of the backhand immediately. You mention some big guys with pitfalls and unless your son leaves that paradigm in the rearview mirror right now he will be stuck with it. So many big guys on the ATP tour playing like women and children. Why would a man need to hit a two handed backhand? That choice in itself limits a player's choices and there is so little room for growth if that is the chosen road. After eight or nine years of playing like that I think that I would die of boredom. Burnout. A common problem of these infants that start too young. They are done before they had a chance.

The game was played one handed backhand for a very long time and the two handed strokes were considered to be unorthodox. Granted there were some great strokes produced with two hands even historically but for a student of mine, much less my son, I now insist that they drop the second hand. I have a stated teaching paradigm postpre and it goes like this. Bill Tilden is the book. Richard Gonzalez is the model with the Don Budge backhand. Harry Hopman is the coach. Roger Federer is the Living Proof. I have connected the dots from the 1920's to the present day.

I trotted out this paradigm almost as soon as I entered the fray here on this forum and there was quite a bit resistance from some participants. But fortunately Roger Federer has bailed me out by switching equipment and dominating the game once more at this late stage in his career. Seemingly validating my theories and ideas. I am not saying that playing the modern game typically with the strong gripped forehand (I think your son's grip is too strong) and two handed backhand is not a viable option. Sure it is but you will be condemned to be like all of the rest. Nothing seems more stupid to me than a big guy trying to run around behind the baseline like a Labrador Retriever on steroids. Play a game that the competition is unfamiliar with...which happens to be the game Roger Federer plays.

It was interesting to hear what he had to say about the competition nowadays compared to when he started playing professionally. I wrote a bit about it in the thread called "Hopman Cup: Roger Federer vs. Stefanos Tsitsipas". He talked about playing big guys nowadays that play strictly from the baseline as opposed to when he first started playing they were serve and volleyers. He's eating them up at the ripe old age of 37. They are all standard issue these days...each trying to outdo each other at doing precisely the same thing.

Tennis is an artistic game. At least it used to be. The most beautiful flourishing strokes are the serve and the one handed backhand. See how Federer uses that backhand in sword like fashion to carve up his opponents. He uses guile, patience and power (spin, speed and placement) to disrupt their games. He gives them balls that they don't want to play instead of the monotonous back and forth that they are all doing.

Get your son to start moving forwards...and backwards. He should take a shine to this being a basketball player. I was a very good basketball player when I was younger. I quit the tennis team my first year in college to play basketball. I used to play a lot of ball in the gym and my coach told me that once the season started I had to make a choice...unfortunately maybe or maybe not I chose to play ball. I used to go down to the hood and run with the guys. Tennis was great for my athletic skills and basketball may have been even better. Offence and defence. Attack and defence. Seizing the initiative. I think I would encourage him to play competitive basketball for a couple of years. Take some time away from tennis. It makes you hungry.

If you are the trainer with your son...start a rally with him on the baseline and on the first ball he must move forwards to play the next ball and then he must keep going all the way to the net. Once he is at the net he has to start moving backwards and get behind the baseline where he starts the process on the very first or second ball going forwards again. No breaks. Keep the ball going. The repetitions will tire him in fifteen minutes where it would take hours of the sort of hitting you do in the video. You will find that this is the way to condition your athlete. Once he learns how to play going forwards you have an attacking player who can also play uncanny defence from going backwards. With this sort of drill you are playing groundstrokes, approach shots and volleys going forwards and backwards. Throw in lobs once he gets to the net. Punish him physically. Get him to like it. Relish it.

With his size you want to start developing a service motion that will carry him towards the net. Not the serve and retreat that the guys are playing now. Teach him serve and volley. Serve with combinations of spin, speed and placement. Like a baseball pitcher. See if it suits him. Play a lot of good doubles...make him follow all of his serves to the net.

I could go on and on and I have done just that on this forum. Take a look at my profile and all of my posts. I haven't wavered in my belief that there are different ways to play this game but the most effective is something akin to the way that Federer plays. I firmly believe that the game has been so dumbed down and slowed physically down with the engineering of the court surfaces that something is about to change. When they do speed up the surfaces even just incrementally it creates a real havoc with the players except for you know who...Roger Federer. He mops up under these conditions.

Funny that you mention Jo-Wilfred Tsonga. I was watching him the other day playing against Daniil Medvedev...at 3-3 in the first set Tsonga played an unbelievable one hand pass on a net approaching Medvedev. The commentators were incredulous. It wasn't the first time that I had seen Tsonga hit a one hander. With his strength I have to ask myself how is it that he is playing two handed and this is hard for me to understand. There are a number of really good one handed backhands on the tour and most notable is Stefanos Tsitsipas who appears to be a hope for the future where it looked for the longest time that the ATP was betting the house on Alexander Zverev.

He's your son and you will do what you want. I hope that you will do what is best. It is a game for a lifetime and it certainly has been that for me. Not just as a player but as a teacher and now a writer. Tennis used to be an intellectual game. It would be sad to limit the possibilities and limit his growth...as a player and a person. You see these players like Tsonga, Raonic, Isner, Berdych and on and on and on....I wonder if they might have been better off playing one handed. Juan Martin Del Potro comes to mind. They all play alike. Cookie cutter tennis.

One handed not just for the attacking game. But for defence as well. He already has the patience to play the baseline. That's great. Don't ever lose that either. But it is one handed for the whole entire game. The big picture. Then you can start to talk specifically about the forehand. Which incidentally I advocate the more classic classic or neutral stance on any ball that you can get set up thusly for. I would modify his grip so transitioning to the net and middle of the court wouldn't be such a shock. Of course much of the time shots are played open or semi open as Federer most certainly does but fundamentally you start with the fundamentals. After all...how many volleys are hit with open stances. By the way...I start working on a player at the net and move them back. I work on their volleys and footwork and them move them back behind the service line to play balls from this area. Finally they get behind the baseline and hopefully they show some initiative to move forwards at the appropriate opportunity.

A couple of ideas...a dissenting view perhaps. Good sound fundamental ideas. Thanks for your thoughtful replay.
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

You are right about how the harder stretch will be easier if he releases his left arm a tad earlier. I am not as clear as I'd like to be on what you and John are suggesting about closing the racket face a few degrees. I want to make sure that I'm on point here. Could you provide a further clarification or clip that can help me understand?

Also, my son does move pretty well for his size. He is not super explosive yet, but he's pretty quick. He is just over 6ft tall now (with lots of growth left). He is very coordinated with his feet and hands (from lots of basketball and drills we've done from an early age).
                              Roger has the best example of a forehand you could possibly have...the gold standard.

Roger's racket face it slightly closed as he initiates the backswing and it stays closed all the way. See here:

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ar4_250fps.mp4

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...de7_250fps.mp4

don_budge has a great point about trying to make your son an all round player. There's a gap in the market - on all levels of play - for good net players because on all levels of play, from league players to ATP players, net players have vanished. The school of thought is that the players have found the best way to play on today's court. They was probably true at one point but the baseline bashing has been going on so long now that coaches simply don't teach the net game much anymore. Players can't suddenly learn serve and volley and attack the net once they are twenty. It's too late and they will never become comfortable with it. The style of play today is likely more the 'coaches' fault' as oppose to 'the players have fathomed the best way'.
                              Last edited by stotty; 01-06-2019, 02:37 PM.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2665 users online. 9 members and 2656 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X