Murray Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murray Retires

I was never a big fan, but it makes me sad nonetheless. A few years ago, who would have ever thought he would be the first of the big four to retire?

Tough with hip injuries and when they come back from hip surgery it is an uphill battle. Never the same. Hewitt, Kuerten, Nalbandian, Norman all dropped their levels/retired after hip issues.

Murray was a great worker, wonderful IQ, grinder and although he was never my favorite to watch, I have the utmost respect for the person and player he is.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      I have the utmost respect for the person and player he is.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      I would leave out the word utmost. Too much howling and bitching on the court. But respectable in the sense of performance. Yeah...the behaviour is over the top and not even amusing. It's just self-centered and spoiled.

But having said that he is sorely missed...of all the injured players. Right now there has never been such a long list of injured players and I don't know what to make of it. Maybe they are all taking time off to cycle PED's. Who knows? But Andy Murray has been quite a performer over the last ten years and he was 25% of the "Big Four". That is a big void now and the game is in a major state of transition

Behaviour or not...it was tolerable. Because he was a good competitor. He played smart. He made the most of what he was working with. A bit tragic that his career has been cut short. But then again he was truly blessed to be on the big stage for so long.

Hip injuries are some serious stuff. Really hard to completely rehabilitate.

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
        I was never a big fan, but it makes me sad nonetheless. A few years ago, who would have ever thought he would be the first of the big four to retire?
        If this one made you sad...just wait until the next one retires.
        don_budge

Comment

It was inevitable this would happen with the injury he had. I doubt he will get through a round in Oz.

He was just coming into the form of his life when he got injured. He was the number one in the world and had gone ahead of everyone at that point. Finally he was going to have his moment in the sun it seemed. Not to be. In any other era he would have won six or seven slams.

Oh well, at least he has zillions of pounds in the bank so no need to cry too much.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

If this one made you sad...just wait until the next one retires.
            I wouldn't shed any tears for Nadal; however, when Fed retires, there will be a deep ache in my soul. Fed is still clearly the odds on favorite to retire next but if Nadal has another year where he can only play 8 tournaments I think he is a possiblity. I think we can safely say Djokovic will be the last one standing.

Comment

Apparently Andy Murray underwent surgery to put some metal in his hip. I hope he makes it back...all of the way. He is missed on the tour as were a bunch of players that were out for part or much of 2018.

don_budge

Comment

Apparently Andy Murray underwent surgery to put some metal in his hip. I hope he makes it back...all of the way. He is missed on the tour as were a bunch of players that were out for part or much of 2018.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/murr...8-january-2019
                I doubt he will make it back, don_budge. The operation was more about getting back quality of life and freedom from pain. It will mean another year out and I doubt even Andy could get back to any kind of level after so much time out.

I know you're not a big fan of Andy but he was coming into his peak prior to getting injured. He must feel cheated.
                Stotty

Comment

Having now a lot of experience with this I’ll say that he could return. The new generation of hip prosthetics are arguably better than the original parts. With a good surgeon and equipment he will be training in 2 weeks and at full speed with no restrictions in 8-12 weeks. My surgeon boasts 3 cases returning to finish their careers in the NHL (National Hockey League).
                  Last edited by BrianGordon; 01-31-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/murr...8-january-2019
                    Originally posted by stotty View Post
                    I doubt he will make it back, don_budge. The operation was more about getting back quality of life and freedom from pain. It will mean another year out and I doubt even Andy could get back to any kind of level after so much time out.

I know you're not a big fan of Andy but he was coming into his peak prior to getting injured. He must feel cheated.
                    Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
                    Having now a lot of experience with this Ill say that he could return. The new generation of hip prosthetics are arguably better than the original parts. With a good surgeon and equipment he will be training in 2 weeks and at full speed with no restrictions in 8-12 weeks. My surgeon boasts 3 cases returning to finish their careers in the NHL (National Hockey League).
                    That would be great news BrianGordon! Andy Murray is sorely missed on the tour. One of only two players that Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal probably take ultra seriously. When he was in his prime that is.

Not a big fan...it's true. Andy isn't a bad sort. Not at all. He really had evolved as you point out. He was a good competitor. Maybe I could do without some of the faces and grimacing...but that is Andy being Andy. I love the sport of tennis...fundamentally speaking. He was sorely needed to provide more depth at the top of the game.

I guess you are talking about your hip, BrianGordon and I wish the best in this regard. Get the best medical advise and treatment you can. But you just pointed out your surgeon is top drawer. That's half the battle.

I woke up with a pain in my hip this morning. I stepped out the door with the dogs first thing into ankle deep snow. Here I go again. I shovelled 45 minutes before breakfast and getting mentally prepared for a fun day in the snow. A fun weekend it looks like. Snowing all weekend. I'm loving it. Outside, clean country air, very little motion around me, zero commotion. A blank mind and blood in my veins. Just think of the biomechanics of the snow shovelling motion. The strain on the hip as you lift and toss. Thank you Lord. Galvanize my hip.

My sore hip is the accumulation of snow shovelling, a session of tennis or two and hiking through the woods trying to make some paths for the dogs and me. It ached all night. Got out there shovelling...that was the cure. Stay positive. Keep that energy flowing. Keep that snow coming...Mother Nature. I love you.

don_budge

Comment

I woke up with a pain in my hip this morning. I stepped out the door with the dogs first thing into ankle deep snow. Here I go again. I shovelled 45 minutes before breakfast and getting mentally prepared for a fun day in the snow. A fun weekend it looks like. Snowing all weekend. I'm loving it. Outside, clean country air, very little motion around me, zero commotion. A blank mind and blood in my veins. Just think of the biomechanics of the snow shovelling motion. The strain on the hip as you lift and toss. Thank you Lord. Galvanize my hip.

My sore hip is the accumulation of snow shovelling, a session of tennis or two and hiking through the woods trying to make some paths for the dogs and me. It ached all night. Got out there shovelling...that was the cure. Stay positive. Keep that energy flowing. Keep that snow coming...Mother Nature. I love you.
                      I have started a calculated attack on the 400 meter driveway. Estimate that I am 185 complete with another 50 in process. An ambitious project for one man but I have steadily been chipping away at the white wall. It is still coming. I am certainly glad that the global warming myth is taking a break for the moment. Unless it is just another Orwellian spoof...you know, warm is cold.

At any rate I am on my way to take a dose of anti-inflammation. Just in case the back is going to act up. I experimented with different grips to vary the pressure on my hip and back. Making sure that the legs were always loaded and taking the brunt of the weight. I love shovelling snow. I hope that I haven't overdone it though.
                      don_budge

Comment

I have started a calculated attack on the 400 meter driveway. Estimate that I am 185 complete with another 50 in process. An ambitious project for one man but I have steadily been chipping away at the white wall. It is still coming. I am certainly glad that the global warming myth is taking a break for the moment. Unless it is just another Orwellian spoof...you know, warm is cold.

At any rate I am on my way to take a dose of anti-inflammation. Just in case the back is going to act up. I experimented with different grips to vary the pressure on my hip and back. Making sure that the legs were always loaded and taking the brunt of the weight. I love shovelling snow. I hope that I haven't overdone it though.
                        Mission completed. Unbelievable. Completed the driveway (approx 400 meters by 6 meters) yesterday. Slept like a log until I got the message to go out with wolf boy York and Puntzie the Chocolate Labrador. Stepped out into a little better than ankle deep snow and it was off to the races. This snow is having the most amazing effect on me and the animals on the farm. The horses are a bit over the top about it and the Siberian Huskies are really in their element. Saja and Bowie.

Shoveled the ankle deep offering today and finished right around four just in time to bring the horses in. I lead to in on leads and my wife has one on lead and the oldest mare is the first one in and we follow.

There has been an amazing amount of thought that has gone in to this little competition with the snow. It has been addictive and creative. The paths and the mounds and piles that I have made are a beautiful winter scene. In the middle of all this today I was wondering to myself...this sort of activity gives you time to think. Or not. But I was wondering in the middle of this "Herculean effort" if anyone would actually be proud of me for doing it. A strange thought I know...but I share it with you coaches and whoever. Somehow it is related to the tennis...or the golf. In more ways than one. First of all there is the technique of using the shovel. I found that there were many grips, strokes and variations of footwork. Then, as is the same in tennis and golf, the technique was the means to the end and it was the different techniques that allowed me to move the tons of snow in the most efficient manner.

I doubt that I have mentioned that I have been in physical therapy for tendinitis or bursitis in my shoulder. I may have mentioned it in some golf talk. I couldn't do any movement over my shoulder for over a year. But three months of physical therapy have returned a significant amount of range of motion and some strength and flexibility as well. But this wonderful opportunity to shovel nonstop for the past four days has been the best therapy I could have hoped for. One of the best parts was it was free. Did I say therapy? Yeah...that too. Mental. Psychiatric.

So I have had a lot of time to think about some things. I got an incredible amount of exercise and fresh air. You might say that I am stoned on life. Nature is the Mother of all living things. I must say that I am in a state of awe. The sun set on the day as I was finishing my work. Such beauty. My father talks of inner tranquility and peace of mind. I begin to understand his voice in my head.
                        don_budge

Comment

I doubt that I have mentioned that I have been in physical therapy for tendinitis or bursitis in my shoulder. I may have mentioned it in some golf talk. I couldn't do any movement over my shoulder for over a year. But three months of physical therapy have returned a significant amount of range of motion and some strength and flexibility as well. But this wonderful opportunity to shovel nonstop for the past four days has been the best therapy I could have hoped for. One of the best parts was it was free. Did I say therapy? Yeah...that too. Mental. Psychiatric.

So I have had a lot of time to think about some things. I got an incredible amount of exercise and fresh air. You might say that I am stoned on life. Nature is the Mother of all living things. I must say that I am in a state of awe. The sun set on the day as I was finishing my work. Such beauty. My father talks of inner tranquility and peace of mind. I begin to understand his voice in my head.
                          Yesterday...a day of rest. Some time to reflect upon the words and thoughts I experienced as I battled Nature. The timeless nature of such a battle. Man will never win...it is snowing today.

"So I have had a lot of time to think about some things. I got an incredible amount of exercise and fresh air. You might say that I am stoned on life. Nature is the Mother of all living things. I must say that I am in a state of awe. The sun set on the day as I was finishing my work. Such beauty. My father talks of inner tranquility and peace of mind. I begin to understand his voice in my head."
                          don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8583 users online. 6 members and 8577 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X