No announcement yet.

2019 Australian Open...ATP 2000...Melbourne, Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bad on Novak's GS total. I lost my way on that one. He is of course tied with Sampras at 14. I would already give him the historical edge on Sampras as Novak has won all 4 majors.

Comment

• So far, it is a completely unbothered Novak, just looking so comfortable out there in all aspects. He is once again making Nadal look like no one else can. We will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
        So far, it is a completely unbothered Novak, just looking so comfortable out there in all aspects. He is once again making Nadal look like no one else can. We will see.
        Textbook Djokovic. Attacking Nadal's forehand. Nadal finally finding a rhythm. Starting to use slice effectively. But has to play lower percentage tennis.
        Last edited by arturohernandez; 01-27-2019, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• Nadal just looks vs Novak like he does vs no one else. He looks uncomfortable, as he is as Novak is giving him no options. Novak in form like this just treats the Nadal forehand like an average pro fh. And the Novak return of serve as McEnroe says is just the best ever. If Nadal cannot bully with his fh, which he can vs about anyone else, he is out of answers it seems.
          Last edited by stroke; 01-27-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Nadal just looks vs Novak like he does vs no one else. He looks uncomfortable, as he is as Novak is giving him no options. Novak in form like this just treats the Nadal forehand like an average pro fh. And the Novak return of serve as McEnroe says is just the best ever. If Nadal cannot bully with his fh, which he can vs about anyone else, he is out of answers in seems.
            Does Nadal seem just a little bit less able to run down balls? Has he lost a 1/2 or 1/4 step?

Comment

• Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Does Nadal seem just a little bit less able to run down balls? Has he lost a 1/2 or 1/4 step?
              I am certain he is not as fast as he was in his 20's, but I just feel that is not the issue. Novak has hit a hard court level in
              these last 2 matches to me that is that is new territory for tennis. He is looking every bit the 3rd(at least) best player in the history of tennis, and it looks like he has #15 here in the bag.
              Last edited by stroke; 01-27-2019, 03:17 AM.

Comment

I am certain he is not as fast as he was in his 20's, but I just feel that is not the issue. Novak has hit a hard court level in
                these last 2 matches to me that is that is new territory for tennis. He is looking every bit he 3rd(at least) best player in the history of tennis, and it looks like he has #15 here in the bag.
                Like a rebirth of Agassi with the movement and serve of Sampras.

Comment

• Agassi certainly had a great return, but he certainly did not have the large complete range window of Novak. Agassi gave up some aces. Hard to believe that Novak would not be at least a co-favorite at the FO after than performance. I do not ever remember Nadal being just routined in a match like that.

Comment

• Congratulaions to Djokovic. Never expected he would steamroll Nadal. Just find Djokovic’s gameplay very boring, good but boring. Hope Tsitsipas grabs the sceptre.

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                      Congratulaions to Djokovic. Never expected he would steamroll Nadal. Just find Djokovic’s gameplay very boring, good but boring. Hope Tsitsipas grabs the sceptre.
                      To me the sceptre that has been grabbed by Fed, Nadal, and Novak is not going to be grabbed again for a very long time.

Comment

• 9 errors in 3 sets. Unfathomable.

No point of discussing what Nadal could have done better...it wasn't going to matter. Djokovic on another level and he exhausts all superlatives.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

• I missed the final so watched it on replay when I got home.

Nadal was out of sorts and tense early on in the match and never really seemed to settle. How much of that was down to Novak I'm not sure, but I suspect a lot of it was.

Novak was supreme...remarkable. He broke Nadal's spirit by going into Nadal's forehand for sport. I never thought I would see the day when I backhand could out trade a forehand like Nadal's. I mean his forehand it doesn't even make a dent in Novak. After a set and a bit Nadal had nowhere to go. His greatest strength had been rendered harmless. It was over after that.

Nadal can't do the two or three stroke rallies thing to win the points against Novak as the commentators suggest he should. It's impossible because Novak reads Nadal like a book. He's there before Nadal has finished his follow through. Once they got into a lengthy rally Novak just out manoeuvres him. I felt sorry for Nadal in the end because it was so easy for Novak, he even toyed with him at times. Unfortunately it's also a battle between brawn and brain. Novak is a lot brighter on a court and getting pumped up and more physical is no solution for Nadal.

Novak served brilliantly, especially to the deuce court. Nadal just couldn't read it. Tsitsipas could learn a lot from watching Novak serve to the deuce court in that match. It was utterly textbook. Nadal couldn't return the compliment. His serve is 10 mph quicker but it's still nothing to Novak. If anything Novak prefers it.

Someone said Nadal has lost speed. He has. He doesn't have that electric, blistering pace he had in his early twenties, but he's still quicker than all but a handful players on the tour.

Roland Garros next. If they meet in the final, Novak will beat him there too...just watch.

Nadal is in a cul de sac right now against Novak. He has nowhere to go.
                          Stotty

Comment

• Tough Day at the Office for Rafael Nadal...6-3, 6-2, 6-3 to Novak Djokovic

So nice to see Rafael Nadal with the "deer in the headlights" look. He looked totally confused out there. A real old fashioned ass kicking by the Serbian Kid...Novak Djokovic. It was so nice to listen to Nadal in the ceremony as he makes obvious everything that I write about him. He isn't gallant. He is lacking class. What is class? How about grace under pressure...will that due? He doesn't possess any. Why did he go and shake the umpire's hand before he shook the hand of his opponent?

Doesn't this idiot know better than to go into a long drawn out speech about himself during the awards ceremony. The runner-up is only there to congratulate the winner. He just felt compelled to talk about his injuries and how hard he works. How hard he is going to work. Really Rafa? Who cares? This isn't the first time that I have admonished him on this forum for such a vulgar display of self importance. That speech was really disgraceful, yet the entire audience is dutifully applauding his little swan song. Lapping it up. Ninety-eight percent about him and his trevails and two percent about his opponent who just so happened to look like a genius in the total dismantling of the Spanish Skunk. He played a nearly perfect match. If only he could volley...just a little. Then we might be able to discuss how great he is in terms of history. But as it is...you cannot. It's apples and oranges. This is not the same game. By definition.

I watched nearly the entire match without the announcer option because I don't need for anyone to tell me what I am seeing. I'll discuss the tactics at length...or at least I will post some old posts that I have written but that runner-up speech just bordered on being the most boring display ever. Except he does it every time. Sociopath. Unaware of anything except himself.

Good bye Rafa. Good to see both you and Serena come up empty handed at the Australian Open. The two of you actually make a wonderful couple. Completely lacking in class.
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              Tough Day at the Office for Rafael Nadal...6-3, 6-2, 6-3 to Novak Djokovic

So nice to see Rafael Nadal with the "deer in the headlights" look. He looked totally confused out there. A real old fashioned ass kicking by the Serbian Kid...Novak Djokovic. It was so nice to listen to Nadal in the ceremony as he makes obvious everything that I write about him. He isn't gallant. He is lacking class. What is class? How about grace under pressure...will that due? He doesn't possess any. Why did he go and shake the umpire's hand before he shook the hand of his opponent?

Doesn't this idiot know better than to go into a long drawn out speech about himself during the awards ceremony. The runner-up is only there to congratulate the winner. He just felt compelled to talk about his injuries and how hard he works. How hard he is going to work. Really Rafa? Who cares? This isn't the first time that I have admonished him on this forum for such a vulgar display of self importance. That speech was really disgraceful, yet the entire audience is dutifully applauding his little swan song. Lapping it up. Ninety-eight percent about him and his trevails and two percent about his opponent who just so happened to look like a genius in the total dismantling of the Spanish Skunk. He played a nearly perfect match. If only he could volley...just a little. Then we might be able to discuss how great he is in terms of history. But as it is...you cannot. It's apples and oranges. This is not the same game. By definition.

I watched nearly the entire match without the announcer option because I don't need for anyone to tell me what I am seeing. I'll discuss the tactics at length...or at least I will post some old posts that I have written but that runner-up speech just bordered on being the most boring display ever. Except he does it every time. Sociopath. Unaware of anything except himself.

Good bye Rafa. Good to see both you and Serena come up empty handed at the Australian Open. The two of you actually make a wonderful couple. Completely lacking in class.
                              I mean absolutely zero disrespect to anybody that admires Rafael Nadal or likes his style of play.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I mean absolutely zero disrespect to anybody that admires Rafael Nadal or likes his style of play.
                                So you respect that person?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4708 users online. 8 members and 4700 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X