Dunning- Kruger Effect in Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunning- Kruger Effect in Tennis

Over the years I have noticed a slight increase in the Dunning Kruger Effect.
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnin...3Kruger_effect)
    I have noticed it with juniors(and their parents) and increasingly now with adults. Questions for you guys who deal with students day in and day out. 1.Does this effect hold true for tennis motor performance as well? 2.Does integrating video help reduce the resistance to change for improvement by those with low self assessment of performance or will the video feedback be dismissed anyway? I suppose with time the won-loss record should clue a person in. Any anecdotes?

I don't have any anecdotes (at least ones I want right now to tell), but this is great. And I'm more than willing to smear lemon juice on my face before robbing banks.

Comment

"that people, at all performance levels, are equally poor at estimating their relative performance"
      Interesting. I wonder if this is more true of academic scenarios rather than something like tennis. An exam taken in private makes it much harder to see how you might have performed in comparison to other people. Tennis is combat. You win or lose and get comparisons and performance markers along the way. I think tennis players, on the whole, are quite good at judging their performance in relation to others.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Interesting. I wonder if this is more true of academic scenarios rather than something like tennis. An exam taken in private makes it much harder to see how you might have performed in comparison to other people. Tennis is combat. You win or lose and get comparisons and performance markers along the way. I think tennis players, on the whole, are quite good at judging their performance in relation to others.
        I would agree with this...except for the fact that I teach ladies team tennis in Boca Raton. The Dunning-Kruger Effect is in high gear in this environment. Ladies who are atrocious are expecting to be moved up to a higher team the next season. They do not get the hint and are totally oblivious to just how bad they are. It is much stronger in academia since the subjects are more grounded towards measurable outputs and class rank.

I have used video analysis on many students and many are open to it and have seen them succeed. There are usually some that still resist or refuse and always will. Much of it is a fixed mindset vs. Growth mindset.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Last edited by klacr; 01-23-2019, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

I would agree with this...except for the fact that I teach ladies team tennis in Boca Raton. The Dunning-Kruger Effect is in high gear in this environment. Ladies who are atrocious are expecting to be moved up to a higher team the next season. They do not get the hint and are totally oblivious to just how bad they are. It is much stronger in academia since the subjects are more grounded towards measurable outputs and class rank.

I have used video analysis on many students and many are open to it and have seen them succeed. There are usually some that still resist or refuse and always will. Much of it is a fixed mindset vs. Growth mindset.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Well like the article says, people who are completely incompetent are the most likely overrate themselves. In my neck of the woods players have to play their way into teams in pre season trials. They have to compete with each other to win a place! I might call that the Stotty Effect.
          Stotty

Comment

They do that at my club as well stotty. But rules, logic and rationale have a funny way of being interpreted in sunny South Florida.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

I am the better player and I lost to someone worse than me...5 times in a row. The fragility of the human psyche!

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                I am the better player and I lost to someone worse than me...5 times in a row. The fragility of the human psyche!
                Amazing isn't it?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

As Allen Fox said if you are the better player why can't you win? Answer: you are not the better player.

Comment

The problem with Tennis is that success is measurable. There is no real judgement except for line calls. Otherwise the rules are pretty straightforward.

I suspect that people who think they are better have benefited from situations that privilege them without measurement. They then think they are better than others just because. Networking has a way of doing that. It creates the illusion of being better.

But in purely measurable domains, there are no beauty points. It is not ice skating or a dog show.

Federer used to cry because people who played uglier than him won.

Then he realized that winning and playing pretty are two different things.

On a tennis court, no one deserves anything. Everything is earned.

It is almost a system where meritocracy rules. Money matters to some extent but judgement does not.

It's a hard pill to swallow but it is what I love about it.

Privilege only comes to those who truly earn it.

It is Barabasi's first law. 1. Performance drives success, but when performance is immeasurable, networks determine success.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...aws-of-success
                    Last edited by arturohernandez; 01-28-2019, 04:13 PM.

Comment

As someone once said: “I let my racket do the talking”.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3430 users online. 6 members and 3424 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X