Rafael Nadal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafael Nadal

I know, not everybody likes him. I, personally, have always liked, ticks anf all.

I know of no other player who has the style of tennis he does.. Reminds me of the short Bjorn Borg era, Bjorn’s topspin style was unique, though Vilas was simolar.

Nobody hits like Nadal, his trademark reverse forehand. His style is uniquely his. His body has suffered for it. It is a brutal style compared to Federer’s elegant strokes, but highly effective. Tsitsipas was steamrolled, since he never played against a similar player.

Nadal plays with an incredible intensity.

It will be interesting to see how Djokovic will do against him. I believe Nadal will win it, barring injury.

We always seem to have a difference about these controversial left handers...don't we? First it was John McEnroe (thanks for your most diplomatic gesture on that one) and now it is Rafael Nadal.

The one thing that you said about him that is undeniable is that, "Nadal plays with incredible intensity". I don't know why that would come as a surprise to anyone because he is and does exactly that. Stefanos Tsitsipas seemed to have that "deer in the headlights" look in their semi-final match today at the Australian Open. He seemed to be surprised and caught by the moment and Nadal...a bit overwhelmed. A lot overwhelmed. No matter. It's a tough lesson but a valuable one. Björn Borg was quoted as saying that you learn more from your loses than you do when winning. Or was it Bill Tilden. No matter...it's true.

Novak Djokovic is a different story and he has faced Nadal many times under these same circumstances...but that being said he still must get by Pouille. No small potatoes normally but for Djokovic...who knows? But it should be Djokovic by any means and that should be interesting. I question Nadal on an ethical level sometimes. I wonder about his gamesmanship. He gets away with what you refer to as his tics. I get that. But I guess most of his idiosyncratic behaviour can probably be attributed to at minimum a combination of gamesmanship and intensity.

He hadn't played a tournament in four months but somehow comes to this tournament in top form. Sometimes I wonder if his intensity is fuelled by something other than natural resources. His behaviour sometimes give me the impression that he is on something. He was supposed to play in Brisbane before this tournament but he ended up withdrawing. He has taken more sabbaticals and his career has been almost over from injuries more than any player that I have ever been aware of in the past. He is most odd in that regard. The prolonged absences in some circles where discussion is not limited to the obvious has sometimes hinted in cycling of PED's.

I find him odd and extremely self everything. When he is talking about somebody or something else...it is still about him. Sort of like Serena Williams. But you are certainly not alone in your admiration of Nadal. Many millions of tennis fans are with you on this one. I don't like how it feels to dislike someone as intensely as I dislike him. But such is life and this is another interesting aspect of the human condition. We both see the same thing...but from different points of view.

With all due respect. I respect the fact that you like him and his style of tennis.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks don_budge. Actually I do not like his style aesthetically, just find it very effective. It bounces high towards the opponent and sideways. Tough to find a sparring partner to train for his style.

Comment

The reason he is so great is that his style basically cannot be copied it seems. In theory there should be another Nadal since he became a star in 2005 but there is really nobody who plays remotely like him. You have to give him serious credit for working on his game and improving significantly in the last two years past the age of 30. It seems that he has now created a monster and really only one guy in the world has the potential to beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
          The reason he is so great is that his style basically cannot be copied it seems. In theory there should be another Nadal since he became a star in 2005 but there is really nobody who plays remotely like him. You have to give him serious credit for working on his game and improving significantly in the last two years past the age of 30. It seems that he has now created a monster and really only one guy in the world has the potential to beat him.
          I posted my thoughts in the AO thread. The problem for Nadal is that Djokovic has one weapon that Nadal cannot easily counter, the short cross court backhand which opens the court. Nadal has to change his game to play Djokovic. And the changes lower his percentage play. Nole is the only player today who can do that to Rafa.

On a hardcourt in a final at the AO. Djokovic will just keep pressing Nadal to run and Nadal will have to answer with lower percentage patterns.

Nadal even slices to Djokovic in order to try and neutralize the short backhand.

It is in the end a game of percentages and those favor Djokovic.

And the AO is playing faster than Wimbledon these days. That also favors Djokovic.

Djokovic does to Nadal what Nadal does to everyone else.

And he matches him on intensity and stamina.

I don't think it will be easy but over five sets Djokovic's advantage will wear on Nadal.

I could be wrong this time but my guess is that Nadal at 32 won't be able to sustain it as long as he did in the past.

Comment

Wait and see, I tend to favor Nadal. He has improved his game, had no long matches, has great intensity, and I believe, can with his topspin achieve greater court angles.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Wait and see, I tend to favor Nadal. He has improved his game, had no long matches, has great intensity, and I believe, can with his topspin achieve greater court angles.
              Greater court angles no doubt. Novak had only 5 unforced errors in the semi's, almost unbelievable. Nadal is the best player ever at the forced error with that fh of his.

Comment

I thought Nadal was probably the better player on balance in the Wimbledon semifinal but just couldn't convert some key break points. Also, his serve let him down in that match. I think his serve will be the difference this time. Nadal in 4. Hope I'm wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Greater court angles no doubt. Novak had only 5 unforced errors in the semi's, almost unbelievable. Nadal is the best player ever at the forced error with that fh of his.
                  The problem is that Djokovic counters with a sharper angle. Nadal has noted that he cannot open the court against Djokovic. The forehand is neutralized.

Comment

Originally posted by bman View Post
                    I thought Nadal was probably the better player on balance in the Wimbledon semifinal but just couldn't convert some key break points. Also, his serve let him down in that match. I think his serve will be the difference this time. Nadal in 4. Hope I'm wrong though.
                    He needs to play much more aggressively to win. Look at the difference between Wimbledon 2018 and this years AO against Djokovic.

NET POINTS WON
                    Wimbledon: 37/50 (74%)
                    AO: 7 of 14 = 50 %

I also think Uncle Toni had the acumen to coach strategically in a way that Moya may not.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

He needs to play much more aggressively to win. Look at the difference between Wimbledon 2018 and this years AO against Djokovic.

NET POINTS WON

I also think Uncle Toni had the acumen to coach strategically in a way that Moya may not.
                      Novak is playing better than he was at Wimbledon. Quite a bit better.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

NET POINTS WON

I like those net stats...
                        But a bit misleading. Nadal played for 5 sets and 5 hours at Wimbledon.
                        Only had 3 sets at Aussie Open.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

I like those net stats...
                          But a bit misleading. Nadal played for 5 sets and 5 hours at Wimbledon.
                          Only had 3 sets at Aussie Open.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          I actually looked back to the 2012 AO Final and found a similarly low number of net attacks.

I am sure that he was better off attacking the net than staying back.

Remember the time he won a set while injured against Wawrinka by serving and volleying.

It may take that for him to make inroads against Djokovic.

I wonder what the discussions with Uncle Toni are like right now.

Comment

The French Open will be interesting. There Rafa will be in his element.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                              The French Open will be interesting. There Rafa will be in his element.
                              I heard a rumour that Roger Federer is playing Roland Garros. I would love to see him play Rafael Nadal.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2630 users online. 9 members and 2621 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X