Ball Toss (Advantages of the J Toss)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball Toss (Advantages of the J Toss)

I realize the J toss (or the right to left arc of the ball toss for a righty) is the preferred method by many. Can someone flesh out the advantages that this method provides against tossing straight out into the court without much right to left arc on the ball?

At the Aussie Open, I've noticed that Pouille and Zverev toss without much of an arc. Is this a function of their pinpoint style, and does the platform style lend itself a bit easier to the J toss?

Should developing juniors utilize the J toss from their earliest days of development, or should they wait until their body is strong enough to hit more topspin/kick type serves?

I am a big fan of the J toss (rotary toss). It's a great way to get the shoulders turning and a smooth way to toss the ball. Once the tossing hand starts on its journey and it goes non-stop until the release of the ball.

Players have to be careful they don't over rotate the arm too much as it can disorientate the mechanics a little. Another problem that can arise is, as the ball is tossed on an arc, it's all too easy to get into the habit of tossing the ball too much to the left (assuming a righty), which can be a tricky habit to correct. Other than that, it's all good!
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2452 users online. 5 members and 2447 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X