February 2019: Martina Hingis Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

You get some pretty good looks at the forehand from the rearview in this video of a French Open match between Martina and Steffi Graff.

I always admired Martina and her tactical approach to tennis. She could hang with the most powerful ladies and out fox them most of the time. Her forehand grip looks plenty strong here. Is it stronger now? Why not? She seems to be the type of player that could adapt. She really adapted to the doubles circuit after here singles playing days were over.

John, Would you please curate comments so thatobnoxious, sexist comments aren’t posted. This comment is very disrespectful to women and all of us who Are members of Tennisplayer.net to learn about tennis.
    Last edited by johnyandell; 02-06-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

rweiner, To be honest I don't read all the posts. Too exhausting and not always helpful... But you have a point and I have edited out what you are talking about.
      Last edited by johnyandell; 02-06-2019, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I am sure it is a great forehand. But it looks cramped to me. The spacing seems forced.

Compare to Justine Henin's forehand which I think is a compact powerful forehand that should be modeled.

https://youtu.be/KBioEMX2IdM
        Look at Osaka forehand, in apparence cramped but very powerful. As long as she is putting weight on the stroke it should not matter . This plus her lifted arm produces a very nice shot .

Comment

Originally posted by rwiener View Post
          John, Would you please curate comments so thatobnoxious, sexist comments aren’t posted. This comment is very disrespectful to women and all of us who Are members of Tennisplayer.net to learn about tennis.

How was that disrespectful to women? Exactly what words were it that cause you to have some kind of reaction? Was it perfume? Was it "a piece of cheese between two pumpernickel buns"? Was is that a man is alluding to the overwhelming amount of beauty and feminine charm that happened to be on the court at the same time?

I really wonder rwiener. I wonder where you learned this kind of trivial behaviour where you are advocating against freedom of expression. That those harmless words that were meant to be cute and charming could possibly offend anyone...including a Priest or man of the cloth.

What is obnoxious? Does it feel like a boot stamping on the human face forever?

John...as you see I was quoting klacr. He said something about being "up close and personal" with Martina. I said "from the rearview" and Martina could "out fox". So just what was it that I wrote that is so "obnoxious". This is a forum. There was a man on this forum calling me a "Nazi" for over a year and not one time was he ever asked to stop.

You have done what you have done. I know that you were a different man some years ago. What changed you? I'm curious. How does one get there? Maybe I just need help and guidance getting there. Maybe you could just explain to me what I wrote that was "thatobnoxious, sexist comments arent posted. This comment is very disrespectful to women and all of us who Are members of Tennisplayer.net to learn about tennis." This person can hardly spell or write a complete sentence. In fact...this is not the same rwiener who has written 12 posts previously. Not one spelling error or grammatical error in the twelve. Did he get hit on the head or have some kind of accident?

I wrote absolutely nothing offensive. Tennis is or was a sexy sport. I guess that was my point about the two lovelies being on the court playing the most beautiful of tennis. If a man can supposedly look at that video and not admire what beauty he was witnessing and express it in a way that is harmless then what kind of world do we live in. I know you are making someone very, very happy on this forum. You guys are going to be sorry one day when you wake up and realize that you got the world that you worked so hard for.

"The horror...the horror".

But I accept the decision. Just as I did when you censured me the first time. I wonder if this is adding up to a banishment from the forum. Would you please warn me if this is true? I would hate to not be able to participate.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Talking about a sandwich about Graf and Hingis etc. You aren't banned don't worry. Try to stop talking about women as sex objects.
            Last edited by johnyandell; 02-07-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              Talking about a sandwich about Graf and Hingis etc. You aren't banned don't worry. True to stop talking about women as sex objects.
              How is that a sexual comment? How about sitting between the two of them on a park bench? I once went to a drive in movie with Kathy Jordan and Betsy Nagelson and sat between them. We had a lot of laughs and hardly saw the movie. Nothing of a sexual nature went on.

I'm a guy. I like girls. I told my wife. She is still shaking her head. This is the boot beginning to stomp on the human face forever. It was harmless...sure a person could read into it what they will. Isn't that the fun about language? I wonder if either Martina Hingis or Steffi Graff would have found that offensive. Probably not. They are certainly women of the world. AMEN.

I feel banned.
              don_budge

Comment

db, I agree with you(for what it is worth, nothing) that your comments were harmless. I also agree with you about the poster that should have been censored/banned some time ago. He decided that I am racist just because I do not like Serena and would not let it go. It is true, I really like dislike Serena and I am free to feel that way.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  db, I agree with you(for what it is worth, nothing) that your comments were harmless. I also agree with you about the poster that should have been censored/banned some time ago. He decided that I am racist just because I do not like Serena and would not let it go. It is true, I really like dislike Serena and I am free to feel that way.
                  Well God Bless You stroke. It is worth quite a bit in my book. I would never ever in my life do what I was accused of doing. If one cannot appreciate the fact that women are beautiful and that beauty might just be in the eye of the beholder we have indeed crossed the rubicon. You know what...we have. Mr. Weiner or whoever he is took offence to what I said and then ran with it. It makes me really sad...truly sad. This is the world we live in. Ok...all I have to know is the score. I know it now. But stroke...you floored me with your support and you will never know how much it meant to me in the moment. Freedom is speech and expression is dead and it is only going to get worse. It is a war on men...and a lot of men are turning on their own. I just don't understand it. I really don't. Me...who understands everything. I cannot get my head around this one.

That being said...check this match out. The same Martina Hingis versus Monica Seles in the semifinals of the 2002 Australian Open. An extraordinary match between a couple of wonderful ladies. I must reiterate just how highly I think of Martina Hingis. I can never recall a woman tennis player that just had it all like she did. This match is a prime example of it. Monica Seles is just hammering away at her in the beginning of the match but Martina absorbs the punishment and then reverses the pressure until Monica is exhausted from the effort.

It's true too about my feelings for Martina Hingis. I don't know her but from what I can perceive and what I have heard she is just a delightful human being. The smile is just infectious. The mischief and histrionics at times are just plain cute. Her figure that she cuts in her tennis dress is absolutely sublime...if it is okay to admire a woman's physique in this day and age. I just love her and loved to watch her play. She is a very clever tennis player and not only are her strokes very aesthetically pleasing what is more is she plays with tremendous tennis IQ.

Monica Seles was just a lovely character as well. A most delightful young lady to watch.

Is this all ok with you...Mr. Weiner?
                  don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by rwiener View Post
                    But here let's get back to the subject at hand. Ms. Martina Hingis versus Serena Williams. I really, really enjoyed this highlight video of the 1998 Miami quarterfinals. In this match Swiss Miss Hingis shows a tremendous amount of complete game and tennis savvy. I cannot express how much I enjoy watching her and I remember watching her years ago appreciating everything about her. She really keeps her composure here to come from behind in the third set to send Ms. Williams packing off of the court, which she does in a great hurry. She hardly pauses to shake her opponents hand as she heads to the locker room. Mr Williams keeping an attentive eye on his daughter and not showing much in the way of emotion during the match. Interesting character...Mr. Williams is.

There is something about this Swiss Miss Hingis. She is the whole package. Her strokes are lovely. Her tactics are superb. Her appearance is...I will let you be the judge as Mr. Weiner is watching and listening. He is a sensitive sort you know. But I would describe her as rather comely. No sexual connotation. The contrast between the two opponents is stark and they obviously don't care for each other much. Which is quite ok you know. There is nothing that says you have to like a person. At least in 1998 there was nothing. Things may have changed...or not. It depends upon your perspective. From your point of view I suppose. To each his own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Actually I think that things did sort of change right around 1984. That was the name of a book that George Orwell wrote about a future dystopian society. There wasn't very much wiggle room then either.

But I just love and admire the pretty and delightful Martina Hingis. I can't think of a woman tennis player that compared to her.
                    don_budge

Comment

Hey Stroke if you find me that post will take a look at it.

Comment

A tremendous tennis IQ is a great description. She always played the right shots at the right time. I saw at junior Wimbledon aged just 12 where she reached the last eight. She was incredibly calm and centred and I think that is what made her so, so great...her wonderful temperament. She is one of my favourite players, male or female, and right up there with Graf and Goolagong. Such a shame she had to quit the game so early.
                        Stotty

Comment

omigod, I just discovered these comments in which people or fruitcakes (choose one) have clearly been grumbling about me when I haven't said anything recently to offend them. I think a trouble with beginning writers is that they have no idea of how they are coming across.

I guess it's all right for someone to dislike Serena Williams. (I happen to like her a lot.) But if you dislike her don't say "I really like dislike Serena and I am free to feel that way." Those words could confuse even a professional psychologist. Let's imagine that she is a woman.

She and Stroke are across from each other, seated in facing chairs. The psychologist asks, "Do you like Serena? Or do you dislike Serena? Or do you like to dislike Serena, which is different?"

Don't bother to answer, Stroke. We all understand that you made a careless mistake in your writing. We'll forgive you for that.

But we might wonder why you feel so compelled to agree with don_budge in this forum on all matters. Are you not your own man? I want to tell you that I've met with don_budge and know that he is a great guy in many ways. And I've had "exhausting" interaction with him to use John Yandell's word. The interaction was positive-- for years! Then it went so dark that the prospect of equilibrium does not seem possible ever. Things like that can happen in life.

don_budge doesn't like Serena either. But he always links his hate to some part of her anatomy. Usually talks about her muscles and questions her gender. I ask you, how is a guy like that going to come across, particularly to people of broadminded outlook? It all seems so obvious. Serena's enemies have been saying the same sort of stuff for decades. And never offer anything new. And never make any attempt to persuade anyone of anything, just send signals to members of the same gang.

Me, I don't want to belong to any "gang." If I criticized you it is because you identified yourself so explicitly with don_budge's view. Sorry.

But I'll give you some ammo. At Reader Supported News recently, I asked if Roger Stone's behavior of the last fifty years was related to his mushed in head.

(Don't send Roger Stone to prison. Send him to Bollywood.)
                          Last edited by bottle; 02-09-2019, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            A tremendous tennis IQ is a great description. She always played the right shots at the right time. I saw at junior Wimbledon aged just 12 where she reached the last eight. She was incredibly calm and centred and I think that is what made her so, so great...her wonderful temperament. She is one of my favourite players, male or female, and right up there with Graf and Goolagong. Such a shame she had to quit the game so early.
                            You must have seen her "up close and personal" many times at Wimbledon. Lucky you. I actually admire her "tremendous tennis IQ" as much as her beauty as a woman. Same with Steffi Graff. Graff had a tremendous tennis IQ as well if you consider the fact that she utilised a one-handed slice backhand almost exclusively in her tactics. Actually...contrary to the feminist men on this forum...I truly admire these gals.

Mr. Weiner? Comments? Derogatory or otherwise?
                            don_budge

Comment

You must have seen her "up close and personal" many times at Wimbledon. Lucky you. I actually admire her "tremendous tennis IQ" as much as her beauty as a woman. Same with Steffi Graff. Graff had a tremendous tennis IQ as well if you consider the fact that she utilised a one-handed slice backhand almost exclusively in her tactics. Actually...contrary to the feminist men on this forum...I truly admire these gals.

Oddly enough I only saw her play that one time, when she was 12. Physically she was very mature and you would have thought she was 15. She was playing an 18 year-old and I watched the entire match. I took some photos as I was into photography at the time....if can dig them out I will scan a few and upload them. Kournikova was also playing the event in the same year aged just 11. I watched Kournikova, too, who was amazing but double-faulted constantly.

Hingis won all the key points in that match and it really made me think the girl was going to be amazing...in the same way you would though about McEnroe in his early years. Hingis won in two tight sets that day. And don't forget she had already won the junior French Open title a month before!

She was just so calm and in the moment of the big points. You just can't teach that.
                              Stotty

Comment

So, I'm a feminist? You could ask Hope about that. She likes to think I prey on young girls.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8073 users online. 4 members and 8069 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X