The Serve: Probation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Serve: Probation!

Your thoughts on Brian Gordon's "The Serve: Probation!"?

Really makes a lot of sense Brian. Your video series on the serve is priceless!

Comment

Like Agassi did here?

Comment

Yes, the perspective and information in the "probation" video is so good that it is exciting all by itself; but, I understand more than perfectly, it's whether the student (I in my case) can do it with the 40 mph of extra result.

This video will immediately affect whatever I am doing even in my Segura influenced imitation.

One word I didn't get, at 1:48: "The stopping point is their gymnatics, not their stroke mechanics? Pneumatics? Romantics? Systemics? Programmatics? Match results? Happiness? I've tried to decipher this word twenty times in advance of don_budge's transcript. Can anyone help?

This muffed or electronically swallowed or just uncomprehended word is my only criticism of this wonderful clip.
        Last edited by bottle; 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Brian (and others),

Among elite servers there appears to be variances in racquet head alignment at the "Up-Top" position. Brian modeled the Federer style where strings are facing the right side fence. Some of the biggest servers such as Roddick, Raonic, Sock, etc., have their racquet head facing more toward the net (a bit of supination) at the hesitation point (if they have one) before the leg drive. How important is it for the racquet head to be facing a specific direction at the Up-Top position?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
            Yes, the information in the "probation" video is so good that it is exciting all by itself; but, I understand more than perfectly, it's whether the student (I in my case) can do it with the 40 mph of extra result.

This video will immediately affect whatever I am doing even in my Segura influenced imitation.

One word I didn't get, at 1:48: "The stopping point is their gymnatics, not their stroke mechanics? Pneumatics? Romantics? Systemics? Programmatics? Match results? Happiness? I've tried to decipher this word twenty times in advance of don_budge's transcript. Can anyone help?

This muffed or electronically swallowed or just uncomprehended word is my only criticism of this wonderful clip.
            The word was "genetics".

Comment

Yep as I explained somehow Brian's mic got unplugged and we had to go with the audio the camera mic picked up.

Comment

The disturbance is really minimal...

Comment

Originally posted by ferli001 View Post

The word was "genetics".
                  Thank you very much for taking my question seriously, ferli001. It could be very important to get every word right once one is immersed in the complexity of service technique.

And the role and limit of genetics should never be undervalued.

Note: This discussion certainly is not about me. But in possible self-defense, if it is needed, I wasn't complaining about some sound system which pretty much was fine but one word now understood.

"Genetics," of course. Should have heard it the first time.
                  Last edited by bottle; 02-02-2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

The complexity of the service motion is very high. Natural talents like Gonzales, Sampras, Federer are to be envied.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                      The complexity of the service motion is very high. Natural talents like Gonzales, Sampras, Federer are to be envied.
                      Not to mention two my favourites...John McEnroe, Ilie Nastase and Don Budge.

Work away today...work away tomorrow
                      Never comes the day for my love and me
                      I feel her gently sighing as the evening slips away
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

This is a fascinating video. In terms of coach education it's as good as it gets.

It's great to have Brian demonstrating how the method is coached and achieved using a live demonstration with a student. It explains so much. I have been struggling like mad to teach from the hesitation point but now it's much clearer. I was also expecting a much quicker fix for my students but clearly, as Brian points out, probation can last a while. I need to be patient as do my students.

Oddly enough, two boys I teach have leg drive that is too early. When I film them at 300fps you can visibly see their bodies lowering too soon before they strike the ball, and they often contact the ball near the top of the frame. I have a number of girls who drive late. I am assuming teaching from the hesitation point can cure either evil?
                        Stotty

Comment

That Man in Black...Brian Gordon

Another man in black...Johnny Cash (1971)

Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,
                          Why you never see bright colors on my back,
                          And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.
                          Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.

I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,
                          Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,
                          I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,
                          But is there because he's a victim of the times.

I wear the black for those who never read,
                          Or listened to the words that Jesus said,
                          About the road to happiness through love and charity,
                          Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me.

Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
                          In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
                          But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
                          Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black.

I wear it for the sick and lonely old,
                          For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold,
                          I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been,
                          Each week we lose a hundred fine young men.

And, I wear it for the thousands who have died,
                          Believen' that the Lord was on their side,
                          I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died,
                          Believen' that we all were on their side.

Well, there's things that never will be right I know,
                          And things need changin' everywhere you go,
                          But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
                          You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
                          And tell the world that everything's OK,
                          But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
                          'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Now I am going to finish watching the video. Thanks for sharing. Probation...Johnny Cash. Somehow a connection.

don_budge

Comment

Great video! I served like this for a while about 8 years ago. It was a great step in helping my serve to improve.

One can feel the absolute acceleration needed to produce a serve.

It also helps one to realize how little things up to this point matter.

Before the trophy and the subsequent acceleration there is no real need for extreme effort.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                              Great video! I served like this for a while about 8 years ago. It was a great step in helping my serve to improve.

One can feel the absolute acceleration needed to produce a serve.

It also helps one to realize how little things up to this point matter.

Before the trophy and the subsequent acceleration there is no real need for extreme effort.

Thanks!
                              What an interesting video. To capture the moment of truth. I took my protege Gustav on for an hour of practice and at the end of the hour we worked on this for ten minutes. He's on Probation now Brian...thanks to you. The Man in Black. You are too cool for school. As stroke says of Nick Kyrgios. Thanks for sharing man!

Gustav and I talked a bit about serving and his impending adventure to travel to Berlin to seek a means of staying afloat there for a while. He's taking his tennis racquet, camera and video stuff. Of course I recommend getting himself imbedded in the tennis scene and his idea is to explore the music clubs as a photographer or video for hire. It's just the greatest thing in the world to have a student like this young man. He's all ears when we practice. He has a different idea about life. I gave him the book "The Razor's Edge" sometime during his tennis development. He has become some version of that Larry character in real life. Interesting isn't it...afterall Fyodor Dostoyevsky warns "that the second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits that he has acquired in the first half". Be careful that you don't get stuck in your ways...along the way.

When I play tennis...it's admittedly been a while...I remember being able to instantly get the rhythm in my service motion. That's because it is perfect as I have outlined in the "Rollercoaster Serve Motion". Based entirely on gravity and inertia. But I remember always telling myself two things or using two cues to get my serve on track if I hadn't played in a while. Number one is trusting my backswing to get me to what Brian refers to as the hesitation point and then just as the racquet begins to fall behind is when the action starts to thrust. It all seems to be a gradual "depression of the accelerator". You don't have to jam it down...just take it gradual and let the motion make the racquet head speed. Number two is getting the toss in the right place...then the ball just gets in the way of the car. I mean racquet.

That hesitation point is critical. To get the rollercoaster car up the hill with just enough inertia to get it over the top of the hill where it falls. It will almost hesitate you would swear. Does it actually? I don't think so but you sure as hell don't want to go rushing through that position. Once I looked Gustav's swing over going back and forth from "Probation" to the full motion I realised how fast he goes racing through that point. Excellent video. Excellent food for thought. Thanks for sharing! Did I already say that...well ok, thanks again.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8118 users online. 5 members and 8113 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X