Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight arm forehand the key to high balls?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight arm forehand the key to high balls?!

Hi John, long time no speak!

I've recently changed from a moderate semi western forehand to a more conservative grip (the Federer "hybrid" grip.). The reason for this is because I had trouble with my forehand on the run (which used to be my best shot a long time ago when I had a more conservative grip).

Anyways, I found that it was much easier to hit on the run with the new grip, and my shots automatically had more "drive" behind them. However, I struggled with High balls--what i would do is that i would loop the ball back deep, which i guess is okay, but is hardly offensive.

However, today, I decided to experiment. I found that by straightening the arm out (the arm is almost straight, with a 160 degree bend between forearm and bicep), and using my body to rotate the straight arm-racket structure, it allowed me to hit high balls with more authority, pounding them back into the court the way a person with a western forehand would.

So that being said...do you think the straight arm forehand is the key to putting away high balls with a conservative grip?

I think i'm going to seriously work towards incorporating this technique. I found that the key is to rotate the body and keep the wrist laid back. Open shoulders is a much--for some anatomical reason, it feels "natural" and more comfortable.

In fact, it feels as if I'm blocking the ball back with my body. It actually feels very good and powerful.

I'll try to get a video of it soon.

What are your thoughts? Any luck with the straight arm technique?

Evan

Evan,

To be honest I'm not sure. I think the video would tell the tale. Have you looked at the Federer and Philippoussis and Paradorn in the Archive and tried to find some high balls?

John Yandell

Comment

I just reviewed the video...

Both Philipousis and Paradorn have a stereotypical look to their forehands--in other words, we do not see the variety in different arm positions and follow-throughs that we see in Fed. It would appear that they hit all balls with a straight arm, windshield wiper technique. Also, despite their eastern grips, they have the shoulder positions of the more "extreme" forehand players (directly facing the net) on all balls they hit.

This video of Paradorn looks identical to Fed http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...sBackSide1.mov

So I guess another question that I have: is Paradorn and Phillipousis limited in their ability to create spin and angles because of their sole reliance on a straight arm technique?? I think you mentioned somewhere that the double bend makes it easier to generate spin

Or am I just over thinking this all??

Evan
      Last edited by evikshin; 01-13-2007, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7881 users online. 6 members and 7875 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X