2019 Open Sud de France...ATP 250...Montpellier, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Open Sud de France...ATP 250...Montpellier, France

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

There's a new kid in town, but unfortunately for the 2019 Open Sud de France he isn't in the draw here. But nevertheless...let's have a sense of sensibility. After all...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some just have different tastes. There isn't one set of tastes when it comes to beauty. Or elegance for that matter.

For instance...take one Tomas Berdych. klacr is bonkers about Tomas. Something strikes a chord with Kyle. He keeps hoping beyond hope that his boy is going to come through. I find myself pulling for Tomas myself. The friend of my friend...is my friend.

In the limited scope of the ATP Tour this tournament is an interesting side note. No Federer...no Tsitsipas even. But some interesting angles based on recent developments, comeback attempts and comments here on the forum. In the very upper echelon of the draw the number one seed has already capitulated to an old pro who might be mistaken for a journeyman at this point. Marcos Baghdatis shakes off some of the cobwebs and eliminates the recent Australian Open sensation Lucas Pouille. Three tough, tough sets. Directly below this match a guy by the name of Radu Albot has eliminated Philip Kohlschreiber and Ernests Gulbis. Don't be confused by Ernests...there is only one of him. It is only that his name is a plural.

So many French players in the draw. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga take down of Gilles Simon and has his sights on the next French man, Jeremy Chardy. Yawn. But lookey here in the next round it's Pierre-Hugues Herbert. Can you imagine going through life with people calling after you...hey Pierre-Hugues. It's a mouthful. But anyways...he is playing Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov. Denis is a bit like the original "Dennis the Menace" if you are old enough to be aware of this little misfit who is actually somebody's child. Actually meaning in an old TV sitcom from the past of America. Back when America was great...at least in tennis.

But Denis has to come of age sometime. The original never did. At least not on television. You see the kid just never learned from one day to the next. From one disaster to another. But this Denis has to start shaping up and quickly. He just might to. There's no reason why he shouldn't. The interesting angle to this match has its basis in a comment by none other than klacr. He pointed out in the Australian Open thread that Pierre-Hugues has completed a career Grand Slam in doubles...but yet to make his mark in singles. This match just might has some watchability to it. If Denis will just behave himself and act like a tennis player. Denis...loose the bouncing of the tennis ball between the legs. It isn't the NBA...hotdog.

Which brings us to the aforementioned Tomas Berdych. Berdych looks like he is ready to roll beating Benoit Paire 6-2, 6-0. Something was either wrong with Paire or Berdych was lights out. No matter. The score is in the record and forward we must march. Next up is a match with Filip Krajinovic which is a very winnable match for Tomas. If both Tomas and Denis win then we have something of interest from a variety of angles. If we just try to give it a chance.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Pierre-Hugues Herbert wins convincingly over Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov and Tomas Berdych comes impressively from behind to defeat Filip Krajinovic. Down in the third set 3-5 in the third he faced two match points on his own serve, then proceeded to break serve twice in a row for a nice snatching a victory from the jaws of defeat.
    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      https://www.atptour.com/en/scores/cu...chtype=singles
      The interesting angle to this match has its basis in a comment by none other than klacr. He pointed out in the Australian Open thread that Pierre-Hugues has completed a career Grand Slam in doubles...but yet to make his mark in singles. This match just might has some watchability to it.

Which brings us to the aforementioned Tomas Berdych. Berdych looks like he is ready to roll beating Benoit Paire 6-2, 6-0. Something was either wrong with Paire or Berdych was lights out. No matter. The score is in the record and forward we must march. Next up is a match with Filip Krajinovic which is a very winnable match for Tomas. If both Tomas and Denis win then we have something of interest from a variety of angles. If we just try to give it a chance.
      I wonder if klacr was watching. I watched the very end of it. It looked like Tomas might just claw his way into this match after dropping the first set. But strong serving by Pierre-Hugues Herbert closed out the second set.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I wonder if klacr was watching. I watched the very end of it. It looked like Tomas might just claw his way into this match after dropping the first set. But strong serving by Pierre-Hugues Herbert closed out the second set.
        I watched. Not much to say. You know it's a bad sign when your player calls the trainer immediately after warm-up.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7632 users online. 6 members and 7626 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X