2019 Abierto Mexicano Telcel...ATP 500...Acapulco, Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    Oddsmakers have Alex at about a 61% chance of winning as the favorite in this match. I like Nick here also. He certainly has a better serve, forehand, and hands than Alex and he is a better mover if he chooses to be. Fed is favorite at 73% chance of winning. Of these 2 matches, both great matchups, if I could choose only 1 to watch, it would be Nick vs Alex.
    They got it right on the Federer. It will be interesting to see about the second one. Kyrgios has not been himself in this tournament. He has been consistent and mentally into his matches. Competing very well. Federer versus Tsitsipas lived up to its billing and this match definitely has some promise as well. The problem for me is that it starts at four AM. If only the good Nick and Alexander show up. They are even in their head to head count.

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/f...erev/KE17/Z355

Interestingly it turns out that Nick's father is named George. My "Curious George" moniker isn't too far from the tree. I'm thinking that "Curious George" is the good Nick and "The Jerk" is the bad Nick. I suspect that Nick for some reason somehow has a case of bad self-esteem. There is something about that chip on his shoulder that is self destructive and it makes you wonder what causes it. But all in all...for some reason I find myself wanting to like him in spite of all the bad mojo.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Another thing unique about Nick, he has that rounded shoulders a la bad posture thing going on, but it seems to be almost an inexplicable plus to his 2 handed backhand shovel type shot. It seems, nonquantivetatively to me, to require less prototypical (Novak gold standard) leg action/postire which is right up Nick's alley.

Comment

Arf arf!

Comment

Nick Kyrgios...the inner game

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          Another thing unique about Nick, he has that rounded shoulders a la bad posture thing going on, but it seems to be almost an inexplicable plus to his 2 handed backhand shovel type shot. It seems, nonquantivetatively to me, to require less prototypical (Novak gold standard) leg action/postire which is right up Nick's alley.
          Really nice to see Nick finish up in the winner's circle. I don't think the Mexican crowd quite knew what to make of him. Neither did Alexander Zverev. But one thing is becoming obvious about Zverev. There are a bunch of players that feel that they can beat him and it is really tough to watch as he struggles to get to the level that was somehow handed to him. I never felt that he belonged at the very top and it has been unfortunate that he got there so quickly because he wasn't ready for it. Mentally he was never tough enough for that height.

It will be curious going forwards to see what the heck Nick Kyrgios is going to do. He managed to control his dysfunction for the entire week which has to be a major breakthrough for him. My guess is that nothing is going to change much. He might electrify us at the next stop or he just might resort to his bad self. The slouch in his walk was actually one of the things that gave me the idea that he might just have an esteem problem. The backhand is an interesting shot. When watching him warm up you have to wonder how is that shot going to hold up. But it is deceptive. Many times late in a match...perhaps in third set tie-breaks he comes up with unbelievable shots on that side. I think that it looks what I would call "unorthodox" almost. Maybe it is artistic license.

Nick showed how entertaining he can be when he shows up to compete. Such an interesting psychological conundrum. On to Indian Wells.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            Nick Kyrgios...the inner game

But it is deceptive. Many times late in a match...perhaps in third set tie-breaks he comes up with unbelievable shots on that side. I think that it looks what I would call "unorthodox" almost. Maybe it is artistic license.

Nick showed how entertaining he can be when he shows up to compete. Such an interesting psychological conundrum. On to Indian Wells.
            I think what helps him pull extraordinary things off is that he doesn't care much. It's way easier to rip the ball and pull off stunning shots when caution is thrown to the wind. It's a particularly useful mentality on his serve, which is technically good, because at times he serves two first serves and rarely misses. If a shot is technically good and you don't get tight, you're in business. He is without doubt the most dangerous player on tour.

Still don't like him, sorry, The kid's too hard work.

Stotty

Comment

Don’t laugh! A healthy Dustin Brown versus Nick Kyrgios has the potential to be the match of the decade if both could focus for two hours without mental flatulence instead of every 5 minutes. They represent the athleticism and shot making ability required to one day bring back the serve and volley game

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                Don’t laugh! A healthy Dustin Brown versus Nick Kyrgios has the potential to be the match of the decade if both could focus for two hours without mental flatulence instead of every 5 minutes. They represent the athleticism and shot making ability required to one day bring back the serve and volley game
                Dustin has similar athleticism to Nick and a fast twitch serve, but not as scary as Nick's. Also, his ground strokes are no where near Nick's. If Nick could stay focused during an entire match as he did vs Nadal and Alex, he may even be able to get to Novak.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Nick "Curious George" Kyrgios versus Anybody...Alexander Zverev

Don't have a lot of time to elaborate but what I just witnessed in Nick's match with John Isner was nothing short of a epiphany. When Nick is on and when he is competing he has more "watchability" than any other player on the tour...except perhaps Roger. He even made the Goliath John Isner look compelling. That is no easy task either. Watching Isner normally is about as interesting as watching paint dry...or grass grow. Although I must say that I have made a sport of watching the grass grow here in the fields of Sweden.

So next up is a doozy and the question remains which Nick will show up..."Curious George" or "The Jerk". Hmmm...I'm betting on George. stroke...what are the odds makers saying?
                  Has Johnny Mac been reborn in a taller more compelling version built for the "modern" game?

Watched most of the finals match. Curious George went rambling all over the house and toolshed and messed it all up. Drop shots at will with a winning percentage well above 50%. Cannon serves. Down the line shots.

He shows what the game has been missing since Johnny Mac retired, an artist. One with a mercurial temperament and a set of brushes and palettes we have not seen since, the 90's. If he can gain any kind of momentum, he will be a force to reckon with. It's a big if but for one week he showed us what tennis might look like once again.

Congrats Nick!!!

Comment

Nick "Curious George" Kyrgios versus "Downtown" Dustin Brown

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                    Has Johnny Mac been reborn in a taller more compelling version built for the "modern" game?

Watched most of the finals match. Curious George went rambling all over the house and toolshed and messed it all up. Drop shots at will with a winning percentage well above 50%. Cannon serves. Down the line shots.

He shows what the game has been missing since Johnny Mac retired, an artist. One with a mercurial temperament and a set of brushes and palettes we have not seen since, the 90's. If he can gain any kind of momentum, he will be a force to reckon with. It's a big if but for one week he showed us what tennis might look like once again.

Congrats Nick!!!
                    Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                    You guys will have to like this one.

don_budge

Comment

Golf Digest: Nick Kyrgios could become the most hated athlete in the world.

Comment

Nice player that Dustin Brown...talented. Shame he was born in the wrong generation.
                        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8330 users online. 5 members and 8325 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X