Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 2019: Tim Henman Backhand Volley

Tim Henman Backhand Volley

This is about as close to technically perfect as there is. Compact, efficient, gorgeous.

Watch the shoulder turns, the use of the left arm. And especially the "U" hitting arm shape. Watch Tim set it up and they move it as a unit from the front shoulder.

These are the basic elements every player should develop! For more on the Ultimate Fundamentals on the backhand volley so beautifully demonstrated by Henman, Click Here!

Last edited by johnyandell; 05-15-2021, 03:37 PM.

You're right. It's a lovely shot. I saw Tim hitting with Kyle Edmund a month ago at the National Tennis Centre. He still plays really well and volleys beautifully. Tim was the last truly great volleyer and no one these days comes even close.

That's a great clip you put together, John.
    Stotty

Comment

This video alone is worth the price of admission to this site. Gorgeous, textbook volleys.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

One handed bh ground stroke
        makes it more natural than two?

Comment

Fabulous. I just can’t figure out how to maintain power if I try to volley straight ahead(to hit behind someone)on a ball somewhat close to my body.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            You're right. It's a lovely shot. I saw Tim hitting with Kyle Edmund a month ago at the National Tennis Centre. He still plays really well and volleys beautifully. Tim was the last truly great volleyer and no one these days comes even close.

That's a great clip you put together, John.

Comment

Hm... not sure why our top current ten don’t get credit for being great volleyers. I think Federer can be counted
              as one of the best volleyers in history.

Comment

Originally posted by brielmaier View Post
                Hm... not sure why our top current ten don’t get credit for being great volleyers. I think Federer can be counted
                as one of the best volleyers in history.
                Roger is certainly very good and would have become one of the all time volleyers had he pursued that style of play more often. He started his winning ways at Wimbledon by serve volleying. Nadal is a good volleyer too. The other 8 are pretty tame volleyers in my view.
                Stotty

Comment

Notice he doesn't turn his shoulders quite as much as you suggest.

Comment

What is interesting for me is how at contact the racket is relatively flat to the ball, but almost instantaneously after contact, he changes the angle to a slice follow through. I suspect this is how he achieves the crispness of the volley, whilst maintaining consistency. The other thing I noticed is how short and compact the entire stroke is, relying on the energy of the incoming ball to generate the speed, and rather concentrating on directing the ball.

Comment

Interesting that the U shape disappears almost as soon as the fwd motion of his racquet starts. Never noticed before. The U seems to be relevant to the set up phase, but his elbow is straight (or nearly so) when he makes contact with most of these.

Comment

I think the clip shows what doubles volleying is much about...blocking, improvising, getting jammed sometimes, and minimal racket work. He was always great at blocking volleys and using his body as wall. He was brilliant at absorbing pace and deflecting it. I always loved McEnroe for the same reasons. McEnroe could absorb pace on his volleys like no one else.
                        Stotty

Comment

Able to hit so clean because he throws a leg forward (usu right) to create momentum. Does not look like push-off from back leg cause his weight is forward. Sublime stuff, like Mac. Check out the bottom fingers opening to facilitate the grip change. Fun to guess at what point he decides where to put the ball. Awesome set of clips - Thanks!

Comment

Like Johnny Mac, part of their success in their drop volleys is that their opponent’s are forced to sit on their heels instead of their toes because the Mac/ Henman volleys(and approaches) are so good.

Comment

Henman has great volleys and touch in the forecourt, but Mac stands alone to me. Pat Cash was right there also.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7931 users online. 6 members and 7925 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X