Racquet Drop On Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racquet Drop On Edge

Much is made of the racquet traveling on edge from around the hesitation point (trophy) to the bottom of the drop. Are there advantages to an on-edge drop that Sampras (and Fed, too) missed out on since his racquet clearly did not drop on edge?

i

Good question! It doesn't drop on edge. It ends up on edge before it starts up!

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      Good question! It doesn't drop on edge. It ends up on edge before it starts up!
      John, in his video, "The Hesitation Point", Brian Gordon notes that "the path of the racket into the backswing should be on edge through the head which sets up a diagonal swing plane..." Isner is a great example. But Sampras and Fed aren't. I am very interested in this from a coaching perspective.

Comment

Oh Ok I understand your question now. My own opinion is the timing of the entry is more important than the shape. I will see if I can get BG to weigh in again...

Here is a clip for reference:
        Last edited by johnyandell; 03-04-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys - normally I don't wander too far from my own threads but JY asked me if I could chime in here... my message may have been lost in the complexity of the stroke and the variety seen in the pro game.

There is a distinction between the racquet orientation and the swing plane. Perhaps some emphasize the racquet on edge throughout the backswing - I'm not one of them. On edge refers only to the entry and the forward component (racquet not facing forward) sets up the wrist rotations and elbow extension in the upward swing.

The swing plane is defined by fitting a plane (best fit) to the time-dependent locations off the tip of the racquet (independent of the twist orientation of the racquet) generally assessed in an overhead view which is standard with 3D data.

Both Sampras and Fed have a diagonal swing plane even though the orientation of the racquet "leaves the edge" midway through the backswing - this is normal if not optimal as it sets up the rotations that allow the outside sweep of the racquet and the on edge exit from the position of maximum ESR.

In short I teach an on edge entry with a forward and lateral component made possible from a non-forward facing racquet face only. I expect and prefer the racquet to leave the edge somewhere in the backswing to set up the outside sweep with the joints in the orientations and conditions I want - I do this based on my experience in the lab and on the court. As I stated in the probation thread there are many ways to skin a cat (figure of speech - no offense) so I urge people to experiment.
          Last edited by BrianGordon; 03-04-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7955 users online. 2 members and 7953 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X