Straight v Bent Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight v Bent Arm

General question, but I’m Brian Gordon is out there to pitch in.

When players develop a straight arm forehand, how much of that has to do with physiology vs training ?

I find it interesting that so few are able to replicate the straight arm despite everyone modeling Federer or Nadal for the last decade.

Is it because the correct teaching cue hasn’t been found? Perhaps the exact backswing mechanism hasn’t yet been correctly identified?

I personally find it near impossible to replicate on the court, despite all of the videos on YouTube and forum posts. Thoughts?

I am giving Brian a rest from the Forum, but I can share some thoughts. In his recent forehand series Brian stresses that very few players below ultra high levels can hit straight arm. I'm with you have never been able to hit straight arm either.

The youtube bs I think obscurs factors that are far more important--the turn, set up and extension in the forward swing. I think Brian has identified the backswing that could facilitate it--up and slightly to the outside on a diagonal. But I still think that backswing can be over estimated. Look at the top women. And even Nadal isn't on that model. Look at great great forehands. Djok. Even Krygios and Sock. Look at Agassi. All bent elbow.

When I did my first study of this 15 years ago or whatever I never saw straight arm--Philippoussis the only exception. People obsess about it but think that is misguided.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7482 users online. 3 members and 7479 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X